Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? (/showthread.php?tid=17908)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - schlurbi - 09-02-2009

I dont want more lolwutters.

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Error - 09-02-2009

' Wrote:I dont think if this was mentioned but what about a two-processor motherboard + 2 cpus? I dont know if its any different than a dual-core but since FL doesnt use multi-cores maybe this would work? There are many 2processor mobos out there.
Even if this would work, as far as I know the only dual-processor motherboard Intel has is the Skulltrail, but that uses Socket 771 and would therefore prevent us from using the processor we already have. The cheapest Skulltrail mobo I see on Newegg costs 419 and would require two new processors. As far as I see AMD doesn't have any at all. If there is/was a dual 775 motherboard though we could simply use the E8400 plus an (OCed) 3,4 GHz or so Pentium 4 for FLServer.

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - 11of10 - 09-02-2009

Sorry folks, I was dead sleepy this morning.. I was referring to multicore cpu... not multi cpu system..

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Error - 09-02-2009

' Wrote:Sorry folks, I was dead sleepy this morning.. I was referring to multicore cpu... not multi cpu system..
<strike>FLServer doesn't support more than one thread anyways.</strike> Sorry, thought you were someone else, ignore this.

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Agran Harper - 09-02-2009

<strike>Are my countless paragraphs written in the effort to make something understandable and translucent completely ignored by the rest of the community? Especially this thread, and the other one by silverleaf :wacko::blink::(</strike>

I hereby want to apologize for the harshness of my words written. I could not restrain myself and was overacting. No flame of offense intended to anyone - I'm sorry!

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Blodo - 09-03-2009

Regardless, as much as there may be ideas how to solve this problem, the implementation of said ideas is something else entirely. To rewrite FLServer would be a project on quite a large scale that would involve first a great dose of research through debugging the original program and packet sniffing in order to get a full idea of everything that gets sent between the clients and the server. Then you need to actually write the program and test it. Players would have to cope with many crashes and instabilities after release, and a realistic time line of a first beta release would likely be around a pretty year anyway, considering this would be a side project for any and all people involved.

Now I do not want to induce apathy here, but just trying to shed a realistic light on this situation. A custom freelancer server application would obviously be the best way out, but it would first need a small team of programmers to actually do it.

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Agran Harper - 09-03-2009

' Wrote:the implementation of said ideas is something else entirely. To rewrite FLServer would be a project on quite a large scale that would involve first a great dose of research through debugging the original program and packet sniffing in order to get a full idea of everything that gets sent between the clients and the server.

Now I do not want to induce apathy here, but just trying to shed a realistic light on this situation. A custom freelancer server application would obviously be the best way out, but it would first need a small team of programmers to actually do it.
That is why I pointed out that it must not be entirely done by rewriting the FLserver program. If we are that far, then we could also make it multicore friendly. That is why the majority of my suggestions are based of the fact to leave the Program itself alone, and only use FLhook to "reroute" the character placement upon reaching certain systems to certain local servers running on seperate cores.

The more accomplishable (in theory) ideas there are without messing with the original server program, the better.

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Alex. - 09-03-2009

Hm. . .
For the hardware problem with no more slots, can't we just say. . . Get 4 cores, and "join" 3 together with VMWare?
Also, I'd be happy to test the other options for a bit.

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - Agran Harper - 09-03-2009

Quote:In simple terms, VMware Workstation allows one physical machine to run multiple operating systems simultaneously. Other VMware products help manage or migrate VMware virtual machines across multiple host machines.

VMware Workstation cannot use more than 2 CPUs (or cores) per virtual machine. This means that a single virtual machine cannot use the full power of the underlying hardware on machines with the total number of cores greater than 2 (Quad Core 2, or 2 x Core 2).
Well, as stated; VMware would do actually... what? For our proplem? From what I read when I follow that link, you are able to host several operating systems on one and the same machine. However, that does not mean you are able to merge multicores to pretend having a singlecore, if I gather your question correctly?. And this is the point where I jump off that train because the FLserver.exe file is unable to get advantage of a multicore architecture. Only one single processor / core per instance of FLserver. The program would need to be rewritten to handle multicores, and before that happens, I guess it is more likely to host several instances of FLserver and hook the characters from one server to the other on demand.

If you want to test, I guess everybody would be happy to see somebody help Cannon (and the others, honestly, I have no clue who else works with FLhook coding). The two unexploited options are; reverse compile the server program or code additional lines for FLHook so it is able to intercept the info running from the server and what would be needed to get one character to another instance of the server (preferably, without forcing an autokick/autorelog).

Admin Announcement: Full server, what now? - silverleaf - 09-04-2009

Well not many people know how to code. Like I dont have a clue what you're talking about. Guess that means not me too. But yeah whatever you do, I can only say good luck, and hope it works.