Discovery Gaming Community
Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Release - 4.90 Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=162739)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Kazinsal - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 08:45 PM)McNeo Wrote: The point I'd comment on is this though:

As much as I love Konigsberg as a name (and I really , really do), it's bound to offend both Polish and Russian people. The first because they've been fighting for probably more than 1000 years to preserve their national heritage in the face of crippling multiple front wars against Sweden, Russia and Germany that, until the fall of the Berlin Wall, had completely enslaved and subjugated their people and attempted to erase their heritage from existence. See - The Deluge, The Third Partition of Poland, The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and The Warsaw Pact - and the second because Konigsberg is Kaliningrad now, and the Russians suffered 60 million dead to take it off the Germans and then didn't even bother giving it back to Poland because they wanted a warmer Baltic port.

Now I don't have a personal stake in that particular fight since I am absolutely not Polish, but I can certainly understand the Polish people who would be offended by referring to Danzig, Konigsberg or anything about East Prussia in a German context at all really. Every major power around them for the last 500 years has tried their absolute best to completely demolish and erase Poland.

I 100% understand this is a game and this choice doesn't offend me in the slightest. In fact I'm a big fan of alternative history and I always play Axis powers when I play Hearts of Iron III or IV or actually any WW2 game. I dont bemoan your choice, actually I love it, but I hope you can also understand how Polish history has made a lot of Poles protective of every part of their national identity, and what reaction that can cause when make choices like this.

I guess it would be like calling Romanian cities and places in the Balkans by their Turkic names.

But lets not be totally negative. I appreciate that you're trying to rationalise a whole lot of stuff that doesn't make sense. When it comes to the story, I think there needs to be a lot more appreciation that what you started with wasn't great and you need to be commended for trying to rescue it, rather than rewrite it. Whether that's the right choice or not, I dont know, but you deserve to be applauded for trying.

Yikes.

We were not aware of the connotations behind using Konigsberg as a system name and naming the contents of the system after the real-world locations in the region. We clearly didn't do our homework on this one and we deeply apologize. The dev leads have convened to hash out new names for the system and its locations and I will personally be making sure they're safe for use.

Lessons were learned today.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Wesker - 07-17-2018

I know this is more in relation to the patch notes but why was another clientside FPS limiter shoved into the game? It's already hindering responsiveness.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Lythrilux - 07-17-2018

[Image: rDvj6ww.png]

This is such a minor query and for all intents and purposes it really doesn't matter, but wouldn't Omega-2 be considered an Edge World rather than a Border World as it doesn't actually border any parts of House space?

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - The Sovereign - 07-17-2018

Correct

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Kazinsal - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 09:53 PM)Wesker Wrote: I know this is more in relation to the patch notes but why was another clientside FPS limiter shoved into the game? It's already hindering responsiveness.

(07-17-2018, 07:48 PM)Kazinsal Wrote: We have an in-game FPS limiter set to 150 (it's actually set to 155 with a sub-variance factor of 15, because Digital Anvil can't do anything right) that kicks in on Windows 10 machines because Windows 10 dropped official support for Direct3D 8 exclusive fullscreen. This kills the V-sync, and yay your Freelancer install is now running at an absurd framerate.

Now, we had to balance our solution to this. The number of players using Windows 10 is rising and the number of players using Windows 7 is falling, and in accordance with this, the number of players unintentionally jittering because our game engine is a pile of mistakes like a prom night on which a young couple decided to raw dog it and then give Chris Roberts all their money. So, to fix this, either A) we keep hoping people are going to realize they're jittering (which they don't) and solve the problem before they get sanctioned for something they don't know they're doing (which they will) and then quit the game because grr admins (which they do), or B) we throw in a framerate limiter that works pretty well considering the limitations of the hell mess that is the Digital Anvil Engine We Don't Have A Name For to stop both intentional and unintentional jittering and live with the fact that sometimes people lose a few frames here and there.

We preferred the latter.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Wesker - 07-18-2018

Instead of jumping the gun and reporting people for running the game over 155, you could hmm, persay, help them. Tell them they're jittering to the point where it's a problem. Instead of processing a full blown sanction report and demoralizing them. That works too.

The latter version also does the great deed of hindering pvp again just like the previous FPS cap. My game is not running at 150 what so ever, this causes screen tearing and lack of responsiveness which ruins pvp altogether.

Take some time to help players, stop losing your brain over someone who jittered a little in a fight and happened to get away from you. If people breathed out sanction reports less and helped people more, this wouldn't be such an issue. The reason highlighted is ridiculous, you're that concerned with someone making an untintentional mistake that you're going to hinder pvp for the collective just because you're too lazy to tell someone "hey, you're jittering, here's how to fix".

Absolutely ridiculous.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Lythrilux - 07-18-2018

It's a preventive measure, the same way IDs and rules prevent people doing silly stuff. Looking at it from the Staff's perspective, it's either this plugin or having to process streams of reports on players who don't know they're doing anything wrong. Or if not that, players having to keep pointing out, rule-lawyer and remind others during PvP that they're jittering and breaking the rules.

I've always been somewhat of an advocate to hard limit FPS to 60 entirely, because of the advantage it gives players who can go past 60. However, even at 60 fps a lot of players suffer from screen tearing, and so being able to go past that is a necessity. For everyone else, additional frames give you the benefit of having better responsiveness and improved pvp performance.

Sacrificing several frames and having less of a mechanical advantage in pvp isn't a huge loss, there are people who PvP at 60 (and less than 155) anyway and they're cool with it.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Kazinsal - 07-18-2018

Literally anyone running Windows 10 is jittering unintentionally if they aren't aware of the need to cap their framerate on that OS, and as the person who tends to get complaints when there's a mechanical issue of some sort with Discovery I have had literal scores of complaints about it. Frankly I haven't really personally cared about someone jittering in a fight because I probably can't hit them anyways, but when the number of people on Windows 7 is going down and the number of people on Windows 10 is going up and consequently the number of people unintentionally jittering is going up, we are going to do something about the unintentional jittering.

The problem is literally getting visibly worse and as we're constantly trying to get new players into the game, many of whom will be on a newer operating system like Windows 10, we needed a way to compensate for that. We decided as a team to implement a solution to it.

In short, don't shoot the messenger.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Saronsen - 07-18-2018

I don't know how you people are experiencing frame drops and performance drops when I'm playing on a laptop from literally 2010 that hasn't had an OS update for 4 years, bluescreens at the drop of a hat, and uses 2.5 of its 4GB of RAM just to idle. When I go Fullscreen from Borderless-windowed, my framerate jumps well over 60.

You can seriously build a better computer than this laptop for 300$. If you somehow have worse than this laptop, it might be time for you to upgrade solely based on the fact your laptop is as old as Freelancer.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - McNeo - 07-18-2018

(07-17-2018, 09:49 PM)Kazinsal Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 08:45 PM)McNeo Wrote: blah blah blah Konigsberg Poland blah read the original post (press the arrow)

Yikes.

We were not aware of the connotations behind using Konigsberg as a system name and naming the contents of the system after the real-world locations in the region. We clearly didn't do our homework on this one and we deeply apologize. The dev leads have convened to hash out new names for the system and its locations and I will personally be making sure they're safe for use.

Lessons were learned today.

Thanks guys! Honestly I don't think anyone can blame you guys about this, because you weren't to know and even when someone else pointed it out, they didn't care explain the issue. If we have a couple of Polish players, this will hopefully help them out.

The national history of each house is rich enough as it is without having to know about the politics of every border shift since the age of Rome.

Cheers.