Discovery Gaming Community
An extreme decision - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: An extreme decision (/showthread.php?tid=146480)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: An extreme decision - ActivistA - 12-24-2016

hi Smokey

thanks for your answer, so you confirm there is no hack but "just" exploit by 2 cheaters
maybe there are still others aspect I don't get but at this point, from this occasional player (maybe the majority?) point of view, I do prefer an open server with eventuality to get blasted by a no-life-cheater, then a closed server for everybody
I do read majority of boards members do approve this action, so I'll trust the team and community but as part of, those are my 2cts

as far as I understand, token will not stop cheaters but just ask them some patience
and will get thing complicated for everybody

another wrote about fact lot of players don't check boards or even don't use
I like RP but others less, it would be sad to loose that part of the FLD gamers
there are prolly some ways to inform then and make sure they get their token?

again thanks and best wishes to the team and community.

RE: An extreme decision - Smokey - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 01:15 AM)ActivistA Wrote: hi Smokey

thanks for your answer, so you confirm there is no hack but "just" exploit by 2 cheaters
maybe there are still others aspect I don't get but at this point, from this occasional player (maybe the majority?) point of view, I do prefer an open server with eventuality to get blasted by a no-life-cheater, then a closed server for everybody
I do read majority of boards members do approve this action, so I'll trust the team and community but as part of, those are my 2cts

as far as I understand, token will not stop cheaters but just ask them some patience
and will get thing complicated for everybody

another wrote about fact lot of players don't check boards or even don't use
I like RP but others less, it would be sad to loose that part of the FLD gamers
there are prolly some ways to inform then and make sure they get their token?

again thanks and best wishes to the team and community.

You're right, the token WILL NOT stop cheaters but it WILL make it harder for them to re-log after being caught

And yes, the cheating is an exploit..although as i understand it they were also Ddosing, that again.. isn't technically 'hacking' just sending multiple requests to overload the server

RE: An extreme decision - Alley - 12-24-2016

About the Penn restriction: We'll see about it, perhaps it will be extended to the neighboring systems but it certainly won't be all of sirius.

RE: An extreme decision - Backo - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 01:31 AM)Alley Wrote: About the Penn restriction: We'll see about it, perhaps it will be extended to the neighboring systems but it certainly won't be all of sirius.

To be honest if they can't shoot other people they'll either be easy food for pirates if others can shoot them or the best powetraders if pirates can't get them. I can see why you don't want to give them much ZoI.

RE: An extreme decision - Smokey - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 01:34 AM)Bloodl1ke Wrote:
(12-24-2016, 01:31 AM)Alley Wrote: About the Penn restriction: We'll see about it, perhaps it will be extended to the neighboring systems but it certainly won't be all of sirius.

To be honest if they can't shoot other people they'll either be easy food for pirates if others can shoot them or the best powetraders if pirates can't get them. I can see why you don't want to give them much ZoI.

Maybe a new ID? no ship above "whatever" cargo size

RE: An extreme decision - Veygaar - 12-24-2016

Not around much anymore, but I just wana jump in and say hang in there guys! You're awesome. Don't let cheaters get you down!

Also mad props to the Admins for working so hard.

Aight... see ya in like 6 months!

RE: An extreme decision - Lorelii_Darksaint - 12-24-2016

Do what you have to do... I'm patient.

RE: An extreme decision - Felipe - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 12:21 AM)Wesker Wrote: Breaking the law, cheating, threatening in pm to get what you want.

And I'm the one with "toxic" behavior.

You see? Theres people worst han ya! Lets get drunk while server wont come up Wink

RE: An extreme decision - Xenon - 12-24-2016

(12-23-2016, 09:30 PM)Laura C. Wrote:
(12-23-2016, 09:24 PM)Xenon Wrote: Thanks @Laura C. but i was looking for more specific date
My holiday ends in 1 and half days Sad ... i wanted to do lots of things (RP) during that time.
That's all , cheers
It´s Friday and Alley said she will try to make it done this weekend, what means either Saturday or Sunday it should be done. That´s specific quite a lot unless you expect to get specific hour what I doubt is possible. Not to mention it can be delayed if things will get complicatd for some reason. And also, Alley and staff in general invest more than enough time already, nobody can expect them to work around the clock to fix Disco during Christmas holidays.

I understand and appreciate the hard work during the holidays a lot. I was just confused because my weekend ends tomorrow.
But i understand now, your weekend is sat and sunday, mine is friday and saturday. Anyway, no worries and thanks for elaboration.

RE: An extreme decision - Laura C. - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 01:12 AM)Dr Hooligan Wrote:
(12-24-2016, 12:33 AM)ActivistA Wrote: Hi all and best wishes!

English is not my mother language so I'm not sure to understand all aspects
occasional player I have prolly more distance and don't share what I could understand

Problem is *2* cheaters? Are they just cheating ingame or hacking the server?
If just cheating just ignore them, they will get tired soon

But this server closure when xmas holiday is giving those 2 cheaters so much importance (except if they are hacking the server itself)

Token won't stop those kind of cheaters.

Trial account will hurt the game much more then those 2 stupid cheaters.

Thanks to the team for the server, boards and game,
Merry Xmas all!

You guys need to pay attention to comments like this. There is more logic in this than what you are proposing. Don't shoot yourself in the foot over a couple hackers. It's a really dumb idea. And if you are looking for a tool to help with cheaters, here is an open source tool I use. I am sure if your devs are any good at code they can make this open-source project work for them too: http://www.botman.nz/

I hardly if ever even see a cheater on my servers.
I think you guys don´t understand how serious is the situation. The solution is basically emergency reaction for emergency situation. Because staff had these options:
1. Let the server run with unstoppable hacker which is instakilling everyone around. Some say "just wait till they get bored" but it does not work that well as you think. Three years or so ago there was similar problem with hackers but staff tried to solve it on the fly by just kicking hackers. It did not work that well, because hackers were able to log repeatedly and went on killing spree for quite some time. It was fun for them after all. In the end, lot of people stopped logging because they said it´s not worth it when you can be killed by hacker any minute, and some newbies left the game after massacres happened in Penn. It was quite detrimental for the server population. Now, current hacker can make server literally unplayable because he can sit there for hours and terrorize everyone without admins being able to stop him. Not to mention they can´t police the server 24/7, they have work and life too. But even if they kick and ban access which hacker used, he will return shortly after with new one. Not to mention other types of cheating, for example cheating billions of credits and then giving them to random people, or killing POBs. So it´s not that easy to just say "ignore him and he will get bored eventually" because this solution has its price and negative consequences too.
2. Close the server and work on some better type of anticheat - this would mean closed server for nobody knows how long and the result is unsure. And mainly - server would be closed in that time.
3. Some sort of emergency solution like the one they made. It´s not something what anybody wants, but it´s possibly the best what can be done right now as it will allow to clearly identify hacker and make it harder for him to go wild since he first need to behave and obtain token. This will allow him to attack only once per time, or to stay silent for longer time to collect more tokens which he can use then massively. Either way, his possibilites for attacking will be radically reduced and safe time on server will significantly increase. And regarding conditions for trial members - they may change after some time if experience will shows how the system work in the real server run.

Seriously, anyone who thinks there is better solution - bring it on. I am sure staff has no problem to change solution if someone will bring something better. That´s why we discuss it here after all.