Discovery Gaming Community
The Bear's Cave - Sedona Station, Baffin (Formerly Freeport 14, Yukon) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Forum: Watering Holes (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+---- Thread: The Bear's Cave - Sedona Station, Baffin (Formerly Freeport 14, Yukon) (/showthread.php?tid=50472)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Dancing Bears - 09-11-2011

Lev looked over at Copper, "Can't imagine who else it could be." He said with his look. Lev had clearly not asked the very large man his name, he was just interested to see if the man would offer it.

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Reverend Del - 09-11-2011

Is that who I think it is or do they just feed their kids better out here?

"I'd like to say no. but hey can't hide who I am right? And you'd be an old face I recognise from a few wanted posters, must be said."

Sylpheed took the drink from Lev and downed it in one.

"As for what I'm doing here, well what I should have been doing long ago, rather than fracking around with a bunch of misbegotten pirates. Rogues were never more than a distraction for the real prize.

"As for you, Copperhead, what brings you away from your old Reaver buddies? By rights I should snap your neck like a twig for hunting old friends, but I'll let bygones be bygones. I'll let the so called Pirate Queen deal with the Reavers, after all I've got bigger fish to fry."

Sylpheed ordered another drink.

Lev poured another drink for the large man, who at one time was freakin King Rogue. Lev though to himself that this little encounter might get a bit dicey, big papa of the Reavers Merc Company (And maybe some other things, with the way the large man had addressed him) and the meanest bastard of a rouge they ever made. Lev pushed the drink in front of the man and pulled out a humidor from under the bar. Opening it he pulled out a large, hand rolled spliff and lit it. With a light cough he said "Either of you gents care for a smoke? It's Baffin Blue, quite a nice buzz." Lev though a bit of the stuff might keep the chances of a fight down.

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Dusty Lens - 09-11-2011

Sylpheed talked a lot. But maybe the gent was as large as he was to ensure that there was room a plenty for all those extra words. Or more likely he was accustomed to having his say while everyone else in the room stayed nice and quiet while the pirate king lord guy had his two cents.

Or least that's how it generally played out in the movies.

As such he figured the neck popping comment was one of those things he employed the way another fellow might employ punctuation. Or at least the assumption helped keep his blood pressure under control... Also when had he ever being important enough to make any wanted posters? Such things generally being reserved for persons who were an embarrassment to Liberty rather than small fry such as himself. But, hey, cool to have been noticed.

He also couldn't remember asking Sylpheed what he was doing here. But, ya know, whatever.

He smiled politely and blew a whisp of steam from atop his drink.

Oh, I'm always close to my old Reaver buddies in spirit. But the reigns have been passed on to Silver, I've been out of the shooting folk for money business for a spell now.

He took a tentative sip. It was good. Lev knew his tea.

I imagine your Pirate Queen, whoever the hell that is, can have fun wrastling with my Mercenary Queen. So long as someone's footing the bill meaning.

Uh, I guess in the interest of being conversational; When did you get back into the fish frying business? Thought I heard a popular rumor that you were in a retirement community somewhere bullying people for the best bingo seats.

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Reverend Del - 09-11-2011

"Wasn't talking to you when I made mention of what I was doing here, was our herb smoking barmaid here that asked that question."

Sylpheed settled down properly, trying to remember what life had been like before he'd turned down this path, trying to remember how to enjoy a quiet drink in a normal bar with ordinary people none of whom were going to try to knife him, shoot him, taze him or otherwise injure him in a bid for power/freedom/fun. Well except for the thing in his hold. Sylpheed smiled to himself and laughed.

"Bullying folks for bingo seats you say? Something like that. Less retiree more like debt collection agent for the devil himself, them old coots got them some mighty fine seating arrangements."

Sylpheed pulled out a large cigar and lit it. Savouring the smell and taste he let out a lungful of smoke.

"Got me a parcel to deliver to LA, then I might just retire. Nice place here, good beer, and no-one's tried to kill me yet. Guy could get used to that.

"Lev, you asked my name earlier, right? Just call me Simon. Ain't used that in a while, and it's getting rusty. Might as well see if it still fits, eh?"

For the first time in years, Simon Reynolds enjoyed a drink.

Lev took a large drag of the spliff and reached out his hand. "Good to meet you Simon. Sounds like you have had a colorful past. Most of us who end up at this bar can say much the same. Let me get you one more, one the house. You seem like a nice enough fellow, haven't had to kick you out yet, so consider yourself welcome here any time."

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Dusty Lens - 09-12-2011

Funny statement there, retire. Something as has been on my mind as of late. Turning the word over in my head, wondering what it means to those such as (to be presumptuous) gents such as ourselves.

What do we do? Relax? Take up fly fishing? You going to start a garden here, Simon? Maybe take an adult education course on how to grow onions out of a pot under a sunlamp? Wander on down to Lev's bar night after night for a beer and watch as your gut outgrows your legacy? Find yourself wondering a couple years down the road when you ceased being someone to talk to or about and became some fat old **** taking up space at the bar?

He turned the cup around in his hands.

We're not legends or heroes... Well I aint... But we've made a life standing on top of the causes and shoulders of others to better our own stations in life when we could have settled for being those shoulders or believing in those causes. The latter of those two are the ones who retire. We're just the sharks who can't stop swimming.

He took a pull of the tea.

Or so I reckon... The early years I was simply trying to keep my blood on the inside and stand on my own two feet. Down the road I've had plenty of chances to step off of that road. Yet there I was. Then here I am. Been trying to puzzle out what that means exactly, like as not sounding depressing as all hell in the process.

But that'd be one hell of a monolog and a bit more telling than present company demanded, so rather it was a simple

Retirement, huh? What does that mean to you?

That he posited.

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Reverend Del - 09-12-2011

"Retirement... well I guess it'll be finding a nice place and giving up the fight. Finding a new hobby that don't involve killing, maiming or robbing folks. Something that doesn't have a cause attached or a goal at the end. Just something where the pleasure is in the doing not in the finishing."

Simon took a long drag on his cigar, looked around at the various patrons of the bar.

"Hell it could even mean forgoing the big empty itself, just settling down on a planet, though I doubt I'd be welcome anywhere in Liberty outside of Sugarland," he laughed. "None of that for me yet though, gotta get this package down to LA, kinda important, been sitting on it a few days and frankly it's beginning to bother me."

Sylpheed threw a few credits on the bar, enough to cover his drinks and those of the Reaver he'd been conversing with. "I'll catch you later."

With that he walked out of the bar and back to the transport. Entering the hold he stared at the creature now awakened, chained to the wall. It hissed at him from its metal skull, suspended off the floor and with its tail firmly chained in place it was powerless to attack its captor.

"Now you and I ain't gonna see eye to eye for a while, I'm sure but let's face it without me you'd be still floating in that powerless ship likely to run out of life support at any time, without me you'd be dead, simple as. It's my intention to let you loose just as soon as we hit a small pad on LA, I ain't gonna let you loose now though, reckon you'd kill me soon as look at me and I reckon you're likely the only fella on this station who's got the nuts to try to boot. Ain't gonna give you that shot. You play nice and you can have all the slaughter you want."

Syn merely regarded the captor with malevolent eyes. It would comply for now. But if it ever got off LA alive, this one could rest assured he'd be the first one to be tracked down and gutted.

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Dancing Bears - 09-12-2011

Lev watched the large man walk out the door. He picked up the money and said "Looks like your drinks are on him, and at least on of mine." He poured himself a nice glass of Bourbon and one for Copper. "Cheers old man."

The Bear's Cave - Freeport 14, Yukon - Dusty Lens - 09-12-2011

Fair enough, weird cat that. Still, I guess not being able to kill him all those years back netted me a free drink down the road. I guess that's a net profit on my end... Not to say the sector wouldn't be a better place if his insides were moved to his outside without intent to return. Still!

He killed the tea and slid the cup towards Lev.

As those were free might as well make up for 'em in cost. I'll save you the walk and just ask up for a bottle of something made of mash. I'll take care of the rest of it on my end until it's time for me to stagger off.