Discovery Gaming Community
The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID (/showthread.php?tid=116008)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Lythrilux - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 02:07 PM)RedEclipse Wrote: All capital ships are mistake, exception is only house-made bricks. I can't remember any case when zoner caps created alot of noise in house space in exception of ORI but it was so long time ago and never repeated. Also, if you don't like something, it's doesn't mean you should go on forums and ask for change and it'll be totally supprted, as this would cross interests of other players.

I agree the caps do not make sense. However I haven't seen any suggestions to curb their use other than this thread.

The biggest thing that people in this thread forget is that this discussion isn't just about the Zoners themselves, but about the players they interact with. If by crossing interests you mean taking the opinions of all players, rather than just the Zoners themselves, then yes that is what I am doing. And for good measure.

(06-01-2014, 02:07 PM)RedEclipse Wrote: So if you are looking for a "real" background of all ships - you don't have to aim on zoner caps, many other factions have them without a real background/reason.

I know that, I wouldn't mind seeing them gone too. However Zoners have them for the least reason (regarding their lore) and abuse them the most.

(06-01-2014, 02:07 PM)RedEclipse Wrote: Lets destroy what have been built for years and start making new only to satisfy your feeling what's crossing "RP logic"? Maybe you should rewrite engine for Freelancer too, as physics is not realistic too?
I'd say I write a lot of good ideas, but that's for another thread Big Grin
I don't bring external realism into sci-fi games.

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Jack_Henderson - 06-01-2014

Throughout this thread, I see the idea of "This does not fit, that does not fit"...

And the result always seems to be: "Delete this, curb that, disallow that..."

Sorry to say, but you are on a wrong path.

This game has not become successful because it was a realistic portrayal of what space-sim-pvp could look like.

It is successful because it offers attractive things. And as much as you seem to hate it: flying big capships and fighting in them is good fun. They offer a refreshing alternative to the silly fast snub pvp. Grinding to get and equip them keeps people trading, as their CAU8 is a nice money drain.

Condensed: The freedom to do many things is what makes Disco attractive.

When I see this thread, I only see "You can't do this"-lancer. "Restriction"-lancer and in the Zoner ID rewrite attempt also "Sanction"-Lancer.

Disco in my subjective opinion does not suffer from a few players who take a capship to a place where it should not be. It does not suffer from too small planets, nor from silly speeds. Nor from Zoners that should not have 100 Dreads, nor from 10 Bret Carriers, nor from Hessian Battleships or IMG Battlecruisers. It does not even suffer from the 10 % interactions that go bad because of unrealistic things.

If you cannot ignore these unfitting things ( just kill it, or deal with it in any way), you are likely not fit to play here because there are soooo many more annoying things that happen muuuuch more often and that need much more attention and fixing.

Seriously, the "let's get rid of caps of factions that do not deserve it, because 2 % of the community yell for it" trend will not get anywhere. It will not be done because throwing out good content is never a good way to increase attractivity. And hey, we are just picking up in numbers again.

Most of this here is counterproductive, in my opinion.

If you want to change anything, then start adapting the lore to fit what is going on on the server. Change a few letters in a few infocards, instead of dumping good content that makes the mod attractive to make the on server reality be like the letters of an infocard. Much easier. Much faster. And we would end with less discrepancy between "ideal FL universe as in infocards" and on server reality.

Ps: Lyth, get yourself a Junker cap. You will see... you'll love it! Something like the small Zoner Cruiser...

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - .Gypsy. - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 03:36 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: Throughout this thread, I see the idea of "This does not fit, that does not fit"...

This game has not become successful because it was a realistic portrayal of what space-sim-pvp could look like.

It is successful because it offers attractive things. And as much as you seem to hate it: flying big capships and fighting in them is good fun. They offer a refreshing alternative to the silly fast snub pvp. Grinding to get and equip them keeps people trading, as their CAU8 is a nice money drain.

When I see this thread, I only see "You can't do this"-lancer. "Restriction"-lancer and in the Zoner ID rewrite attempt also "Sanction"-Lancer.

Disco in my subjective opinion does not suffer from a few players who take a capship to a place where it should not be. It does not suffer from too small planets, nor from silly speeds. Nor from Zoners that should not have 100 Dreads, nor from 10 Bret Carriers, nor from Hessian Battleships or IMG Battlecruisers. It does not even suffer from the 10 % interactions that go bad because of unrealistic things.

If you cannot ignore these unfitting things ( just kill it, or deal with it in any way), you are likely not fit to play here because there are soooo many more annoying things that happen muuuuch more often and that need much more attention and fixing.

Seriously, the "let's get rid of caps of factions that do not deserve it, because 2 % of the community yell for it" trend will not get anywhere. It will not be done because throwing out good content is never a good way to increase attractivity. And hey, we are just picking up in numbers again.

If you want to change anything, then start adapting the lore to fit what is going on on the server. Change a few letters in a few infocards, instead of dumping good content that makes the mod attractive to make the on server reality be like the letters of an infocard. Much easier. Much faster. And we would end with less discrepancy between "ideal FL universe as in infocards" and on server reality.

Ps: Lyth, get yourself a Junker cap. You will see... you'll love it! Something like the small Zoner Cruiser...

Nice +1

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - SnakThree - 06-01-2014

On a second thought, after reading many arguments, bring back Order and BHG caps into house space. We need more interactions, despite what they are.

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Sath - 06-01-2014

Give freedom to every other restricted cap/faction then. They can do better with that freedom of zoi/ neutrality than the people in question.

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Leppy - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 03:36 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: Throughout this thread, I see the idea of "This does not fit, that does not fit"...

No ZOI Rules for everyone! Discovery RP is now Discovery FFA! Huzzah! Cool

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - lIceColon - 06-01-2014

+1

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Lythrilux - 06-01-2014

@Jack
The thing is though Jack, what kind of standards are we trying to set here? Zoner caps in house space is ooc in itself, as they're meant to be explorers. Having them in house since is not only silly, it also threatens their diplomacy. They can't expect to break house rules and still be friendly to the houses. Therefore, this suggestion addresses the issues at hand and attempts to solve them. If it works for Core and order, it can work for Zoners. I don't want to delete the caps, only shift them away from where they shouldn't be.

If you believe we shouldn't be about restrictions, then why don't we let every faction mine everywhere with the same high drop rates? Sure, it's not canon for them in accordance to their lore (for example LN), but we 'shouldn't restrict' what they can do.

This suggestion gives the caps a new environment to play in which in turn can stimulate the activity of other factions within the region. It's either this or, as I have said already and I am repeating my point for good measure, the houses will have to deal with them, which will have bad inRP consequences for the Zoner faction itself.

And no, I don't want a Junker cruiser for the Junker NPC faction. Why? Because before we know it people will start breaking house rules left, right and center. There's a much bigger axe to grind with Junkers than Zoners inRP, and they'd be kicked out the houses pretty quickly, messing up their diplomacy.

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Trogdor - 06-01-2014

+∞ 10/10 would bang again. This is what I've been saying all along.

This is a RP server but the bricks of lore we've piled up over the last several years are built on unsound foundations. However, this is a game, and the objective is for everyone to have fun, and so the house doesn't have to fall over if we don't want it to.

We sacrifice a lot of "logic" for the sake of fun in this game and this mod. We do follow lore as a means of explaining and expanding interactions, but we suspend our disbelief on a lot of things in the name of getting the most enjoyment out of our experience. "Hey, didn't I just kill you yesterday?" "That was just a setback!" Etc.

The rules we set, therefore, reflect this balance between what is fun and what is lore-friendly.

Yes, Echo, you're right. It is entirely within Zoner roleplay for our defensive assets to have a hard time relocating because we're so spread out. However, these proposed ID changes fall too far on the side of lore-friendly to be fun. Expecting someone to take a real-time Sirius world tour that might literally take them hours, to get to a destination and take part in an event that may last minutes or be over before they even get there, is in my opinion not fun and not a reasonable expectation.

If there is absolutley no stopping this change, at the very least it should be relaxed enough to read

- Cannot bring cruisers, carriers or battleships into systems with 2 or more jump gates with the exception of borderworlds and edge worlds.

Or

- Cannot bring cruisers, carriers or battleships into house systems with 2 or more jump gates.

We still wouldn't be able to get to FP2 or Ames or Penny without a jump drive, but at least we'd be able to get to all of the omegas, sigmas, and taus.

(This would also allow the Zoners to go from Omega 49 to Dublin to Edinburgh to Tau-31, eliminating the need for a 3 hour detour)

RE: The end of zonerzonerzoner - Rewrite the Zoner ID - Jack_Henderson - 06-02-2014

(06-01-2014, 06:56 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: @Jack
The thing is though Jack, what kind of standards are we trying to set here?

Low ones. But Disco on server roleplay has always been casual, low, relaxed. Hey, I would love to have a consequent, 100 % logical world, but there is only such a world when I invent it, and even then it is only logical for me alone. There is no such thing as a universally accepted standard of what it should be.

And: the higher you make this standard, and the more you allow innocent mistakes to break your immersion, the harder it will get for the average to get there. Consequently your immersion will be broken much more often.

Quote:Zoner caps in house space is ooc in itself, as they're meant to be explorers.

I would not say that they are oorp.

They should not be there, IF there is not a very good reason. I can make up 10 reasons why they should be able to be there, but most players likely do not go that far as to find a reason and rp it.

"Mistakes" in roleplay can either be:
> ignored (preferrable if you assume that the player just does not know + educate the person)
> handled in roleplay

Quote: Having them in house since is not only silly, it also threatens their diplomacy. They can't expect to break house rules and still be friendly to the houses.

No biggie. They are indies. No official faction takes responsibility for indies any more. Nobody will even think about changing rep towards Zoners because a lulz-cap indie flew around.

The solutions:
> shoot and forget
> ignore and forget

If you let something like this get in the way of your rp-experience, you are the one who is doing it wrong.

My teammates on TS always laugh (and understand later) what I mean when they tell me: "Damn, I just saw [idiocy situation]" and I answer, while observing the same scene: "I can't see it. There is nothing. Let's move." and completely ignore something that would not happen that way, while I continue to go on with what I think is correct roleplay.

Focussing on the good, stepping away from what does not fit is a vital skill in roleplaying if you care for your own immersion.

Quote: I don't want to delete the caps, only shift them away from where they shouldn't be.

Hardcoded (via ID) ZoI restrictions are unnecessary for something like Zoners. I mean... we understand that no one wants BHG Caps on Core ID engaging their enemies everywhere. But seriously, the Zoner ID is severely limited in their pvp potential, so I doubt there is a necessity.

However, I do not even resist a line about Cap ZoI. It just won't change much. Right now, Zoner caps are shot in House space. I always see the calls. 10 mins later, done. With that ID change, you can now sanction them in addiation. Wow.

Time wasted: 15 minutes.
Time wasted for Admins: 2x15 minuts.
Time not used for playing, but for stupid oorp mess: 45 minutes

Quote:If you believe we shouldn't be about restrictions, then why don't we let every faction mine everywhere with the same high drop rates?

Roleplay? Play your (!) role?
Pretty funny jump, though.

Quote:This suggestion gives the caps a new environment to play in which in turn can stimulate the activity of other factions within the region. It's either this or, as I have said already and I am repeating my point for good measure, the houses will have to deal with them, which will have bad inRP consequences for the Zoner faction itself.

As I have said before: No one cares for an indie capship that runs into House space, gets shot out and respawns somewhere.

You can call the Official Zoners for it, and all they will do it C&P you a standard answer, if they even answer.

If you want, post an FR5, but... ye... no. Too much effort and too little effect for something that die not cause damage, likely.

Better improve on your ignore skills. It will make your gaming experience a lot better, I know it does.

Quote:And no, I don't want a Junker cruiser for the Junker NPC faction. Why? Because before we know it people will start breaking house rules left, right and center. There's a much bigger axe to grind with Junkers than Zoners inRP, and they'd be kicked out the houses pretty quickly, messing up their diplomacy.

No. Just keep your own tagged-faction cruisers in check.

As I said... no one cares and no one should care too much (in my case: at all) for the mistakes that indie players make. Our job is to tell them (best done oorply), and to go on having fun. Junkers would not suffer more from the indie Cruiser pirating in NY than IMG from Impy's IMG Cruiser shooting DHC in O11. It's indies. If you take responsibility, only you are to blame.