Discovery Gaming Community
Announcing: Trade Deals - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Announcing: Trade Deals (/showthread.php?tid=197589)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Prysin - 06-20-2023

is this only going to be for existing commodities or will there be room for the creation of new items and or markets?

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Zentor - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 10:07 PM)Prysin Wrote: is this only going to be for existing commodities or will there be room for the creation of new items and or markets?

This is specifically aimed at current commodities.

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Omicron - 06-20-2023

I like this idea. Consider allowing unofficial factions take advantage of it (with sponsorship of official faction) and Order| would be willing to consider sponsorships on top of considering how we can use this system ourselves.

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Shimamori - 06-20-2023

Tbh, so far for non-trading factions it is less of an incentive and more of another RP "duty". Establishing and protecting trade convoys is an activity hardly taking place even now with lots of trade oriented factions. I know it is an RP server and everything should be "open to your creativity", as you put it. But imho when the "deal" is much in favour of only one, i. e. trading side, there is also a big incentive to shut the deal down as a tedious matter and avoid all the hustle. When RP feels more of a duty rather than an incentive and as in the case with the OF system, when players realise they have to log rather they want to, it quickly spirals down to inactivity and burnout. A deal per se has to benefit both sides.

As of now, the system will organically benefit two trading factions dealing with each other. Beyond that? Meh. Additionally, many factions avoid becoming OF because of the hustle involved, and adding even more to it without adding anything of value, really, is hardly an incentive, imho. Like people said, re-imagining it for unof can be a good idea.

P.S. it is always better to criticise while offering something as constructive feedback. Yet, I fail to osee how to make the system as it is being suggested now engaging for the governments. Pixel empire building is an argument per se, but it also can be used against trade deals too, e.g. isolationism, protectionism, trade parties non grata, etc.

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Zentor - 06-21-2023

(06-20-2023, 11:18 PM)Shimamori Wrote: Tbh, so far for non-trading factions it is less of an incentive and more of another RP "duty". Establishing and protecting trade convoys is an activity hardly taking place even now with lots of trade oriented factions. I know it is an RP server and everything should be "open to your creativity", as you put it. But imho when the "deal" is much in favour of only one, i. e. trading side, there is also a big incentive to shut the deal down as a tedious matter and avoid all the hustle. When RP feels more of a duty rather than an incentive and as in the case with the OF system, when players realise they have to log rather they want to, it quickly spirals down to inactivity and burnout. A deal per se has to benefit both sides.

As of now, the system will organically benefit two trading factions dealing with each other. Beyond that? Meh. Additionally, many factions avoid becoming OF because of the hustle involved, and adding even more to it without adding anything of value, really, is hardly an incentive, imho. Like people said, re-imagining it for unof can be a good idea.

P.S. it is always better to criticise while offering something as constructive feedback. Yet, I fail to osee how to make the system as it is being suggested now engaging for the governments. Pixel empire building is an argument per se, but it also can be used against trade deals too, e.g. isolationism, protectionism, trade parties non grata, etc.

Indeed there is truth to this, but perhaps there is a solution to making this really worthwhile beyond its initial form. So, I'll keep my thinking cap on and listen for continued feedback, but I know that even in this raw initial format, some will find enjoyment for the time being. Thanks again Big Grin

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Saronsen - 06-21-2023

meh?
the game has gone on so long corporation players are already mega rich and can otherwise get the activity they need by getting richer. all i see is more goodies for traders while law enforcement continue having to deal with draconic rules that make playing them increasingly less appealing.
i dunno, this is pretty uninteresting to me. at least someones coming along to shake things up, we'll see how it goes.

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Czechmate - 06-21-2023

Quote:Additionally, Official factions, with strong RP support, can request "Super Economic Events" over a duration of two months. These events would make use of an existing commodity and be available to all but with a higher sell point.

-FYI, there is already a system for this, for OFs - this is part of the perk request system. How does this differ from trade deals? Just that it's a plugin bonus just for the OFs involved now rather than a hard price change?

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Czechmate - 06-21-2023

(06-20-2023, 11:18 PM)Shimamori Wrote: Tbh, so far for non-trading factions it is less of an incentive and more of another RP "duty". Establishing and protecting trade convoys is an activity hardly taking place even now with lots of trade oriented factions. I know it is an RP server and everything should be "open to your creativity", as you put it. But imho when the "deal" is much in favour of only one, i. e. trading side, there is also a big incentive to shut the deal down as a tedious matter and avoid all the hustle. When RP feels more of a duty rather than an incentive and as in the case with the OF system, when players realise they have to log rather they want to, it quickly spirals down to inactivity and burnout. A deal per se has to benefit both sides.

I don't see why it should - any side can trade? Why wouldn't e.g. Gallic Navy and Rheinland Military make a deal for ablative armor and haul it themselves if they so choose? Or e.g. GC- with [R] on their commods. I guess the "ownership" barrier comes into place then? The solution to that is below.

Ease of access
I have a big piece of feedback here. We already have the commodity boost OF perk. It hasn't been used in years, and many people don't even know it's possible, and when I ask fellow OF leaders they never get around to it. Why? the hassle and worry of rejection - it takes a lot of roleplay and I feel like you made it sound like a ton of RP has to be done for this one too. You made it sound like this is a big deal too.

Solution
I'd see it as SRP vs Techcompat difference.

Existing commodity global boost for up to 2 months - SRP style - should require a lot of roleplay.

Trade deal with a plugin for 2 OFs only for up to 30 days - tech compat exemption style. Much lower RP requirements, a couple of posts are enough in one thread. They are more or less guaranteed to be accepted unless the roleplay is too out of whack - OFs spend a perk on them and that's the main reason they are granted, not the quantity of roleplay. They are submitted and counted as perks too with a cooldown counting for other perks.

Reasoning
- it's just 2 OFs trading a regular commodity. The bonus and price total will not be higher than the ore level anyways. It's up to 30 days only and only affects the OFs. I.E. small amount of players who will make money trading RP commodities but still not as much as ores that are accessible to everyone. We need more perks to be useful and incentivize OFdom and this is one of them - you spend time maintaining an OF? You get dev effort as a reward every 2 months. There is also a huge stigma with dev requests now, and requests in general - e.g. dev plans take months to be even given any sort of feedback on, no matter how small, only to be rejected or ignored. Making it clear that this is an OF perk usage and is very easy to get would actually encourage people to dive in - it can always be nerfed afterward if you will see 20 plugin bonuses on the server at a time.

Quote:Encouraging players to explore lesser played factions

This will absolutely not do that given the OF restriction, and that's fine IMO.

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Arne - 06-21-2023

I like the idea and inititave. This would indeed motivate folks to trade with other factions. Just one thing stands out for me.

(06-20-2023, 01:10 PM)Zentor Wrote: Once completed, a Dev Request prefaced with [Trade Deal] can be submitted for review that includes links to all the relevant RP, ingame dealings, and other relevant material to push your case, and if approved will result in a bonus for the participant faction being set up through the Event plugin. These will last no more than 30 days for the time being.

I find 30 days a bit short as a bonus. I would suggest making these bonuses permanent, but only allowing factions to have 1 or 2 at the maximum. Should they want a new bonus, they have to give up the old one.

RE: Announcing: Trade Deals - Shimamori - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 07:23 AM)Czechmate Wrote:

I don't see why it should - any side can trade? Why wouldn't e.g. Gallic Navy and Rheinland Military make a deal for ablative armor and haul it themselves if they so choose? Or e.g. GC- with [R] on their commods. I guess the "ownership" barrier comes into place then? The solution to that is below.

You missed the point I was making. Any faction can trade, surely. But what is the benefit for, say, KNF that I closely play with if, say, some zoners request access to plutonium, as Zentor had described as an example? We can follow your logic and assume KNF gets ablative armour in return (which given the scale and scope of zoner "economy" it is better to mass produce back home). KNF not being a trade faction, it doesn't need access to zoner goods for gameplay, not will it trade by itself. RP as a benefit? What RP? Pay us X so that for Y period of time you can get better prices for commodity Z? Imho, not a very appealing RP for a military faction. To get some perks like +x% of hull as the result of the trade deal is too much and will be abused, so I envision no perks. So, what's the point for KNF in this deal altogether? Surely, any side can trade just like you are saying, but why would they?