Discovery Gaming Community
Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? (/showthread.php?tid=124043)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - R.I.P. - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 11:02 PM)Lythrilux Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 10:55 PM)R.I.P. Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 07:28 PM)Omicega Wrote: Another solution - although perhaps a little odd - would be to only let POB platforms fire at people who actually shoot the base, regardless of whether it considers them hostile by IFF or not.

A player base should fire at hostiles just like the Static bases do.
Static bases don't have battleship guns though.

They also cannot be disabled.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Lythrilux - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 11:04 PM)R.I.P. Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 11:02 PM)Lythrilux Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 10:55 PM)R.I.P. Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 07:28 PM)Omicega Wrote: Another solution - although perhaps a little odd - would be to only let POB platforms fire at people who actually shoot the base, regardless of whether it considers them hostile by IFF or not.

A player base should fire at hostiles just like the Static bases do.
Static bases don't have battleship guns though.

They also cannot be disabled.
POB Platforms being disabled is only a recently addition. Before they were infinite.
Even still with the recent feature, when do they actually run out of juice and stop firing? It still seems pretty near infinite.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Omi - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 10:55 PM)R.I.P. Wrote: A player base should fire at hostiles just like the Static bases do.

No it shouldn't. Please don't compare the two. One is a minor annoyance that would struggle to kill even the worst pilot; the other can single-handedly shut down entire transit nodes. Neither can realistically be disabled, either, so don't even think about bringing that up.

I know you Congress types have a major hard-on for POBs, but I don't think even you can defend the havoc certain bases have played with activity (see: Puerto del Diablo, King's Cross (RIP) - and even La Fortaleza. I know I didn't appreciate being shot at on my Junker in my own damn guard system (: )

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Doria - 12-27-2014

Lemme think a little while...

How about... no.

Some people have a hard-on for ruining other people's game...

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - |nfrared - 12-28-2014

In the OP you blatantly contradict yourself. If the platforms are so ineffective during sieges, why bother removing them?

Given the consistant production of these threads you create, it is pretty obvious what the story is here. Take your POB hate somewhere else please.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Haste - 12-28-2014

(12-28-2014, 12:39 AM)|nfrared Wrote: In the OP you blatantly contradict yourself. If the platforms are so ineffective during sieges, why bother removing them?

...Because outside of sieges, they've proven easy to exploit (see: jumphole-blocking bases). He'd only be contradicting himself if weapon platforms had no use outside of sieges.

Anyways, I don't personally have major issues with platforms as a thing. It's just that the jumphole-blocking kind is really irritating. Making platforms only fire at people who have fired at the base is one solution to those particular types of bases, I guess. People who want to hug a PoB will still do so, as it's inevitable that their attacker will hit the base (either to turn on its shields to prevent docking, or by accident) anyways.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - R.I.P. - 12-28-2014

(12-27-2014, 11:39 PM)Omicega Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 10:55 PM)R.I.P. Wrote: A player base should fire at hostiles just like the Static bases do.

No it shouldn't. Please don't compare the two. One is a minor annoyance that would struggle to kill even the worst pilot; the other can single-handedly shut down entire transit nodes. Neither can realistically be disabled, either, so don't even think about bringing that up.

I know you Congress types have a major hard-on for POBs, but I don't think even you can defend the havoc certain bases have played with activity (see: Puerto del Diablo, King's Cross (RIP) - and even La Fortaleza. I know I didn't appreciate being shot at on my Junker in my own damn guard system (: )

Heh congress types, there is that congress hate coming through again.. Anyways my comment had nothing to do with congress. Do not hardly fly junkers anymore and been debating on getting rid of all my junkers. so don't bring up congress to anything i say.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - HuggieSunrise - 12-28-2014

As a congress type i can certainly tell you I hate pob's. I think that literally paying for and having bases put in the old way was much better. Also.. if you REALLY think that the "minor annoyance" of a "real" base isnt a threat shoot java.
Some bases. in the mod are indeed beefed up because of the sheer harassment and level of conflict in those sectors. This kind of change made sense. A POB can indeed unleash an Isis level of turbo light mortar madness anywhere you put the thing.
But you know some think that if pob's go away no one will play this thing anymore. I think the whole concept redundant. Repugnant. and the idea of half of the additions to the mod in the spirit of.. what can we add to keep people interested reeks of desperation.
I dont think we need anymore annoying bells and whistles to torture a 10+ year old game to death.
If you take away the gun platforms they're going to want to beef the defences of these things. And honestly I cant have it. I want them all to explode and never return.
So lets rally pitchforks and torches on THAT.

-The siege that happened in hudson basically led to a complete breakdown of rp. This is probably the MOST damning evidence the whole system should be bunked and turned off. Cause apparently it only inspires the dumbest behavior inspite of and flying in the face of all the rules we uphold here.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Sabru - 12-28-2014

On a related POB point, are we ever going to see the 'mystical' POB blacklist?

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Omi - 12-28-2014

(12-28-2014, 01:00 AM)R.I.P. Wrote: Heh congress types, there is that congress hate coming through again.. Anyways my comment had nothing to do with congress. Do not hardly fly junkers anymore and been debating on getting rid of all my junkers. so don't bring up congress to anything i say.

I don't think it's unfair to make that comparison, given that Congress probably owns more POBs than any single other faction's count twice over, except perhaps IMG.

I'm also sorry you think I have some kind of anti-Congress sentiment going on, but then again, I suppose if you didn't perpetuate the mythical stigma against your faction people might forget about it, eh?

Kindly wise up, stop playing the victim card and give me one good gameplay reason why POBs should shoot at players who are merely trying to pass by, regardless of their IFF towards it.

A thought for those who like to harp on about POB hate: if the damn things didn't interfere with our game, we wouldn't give a toss about them. However, since a select few proponents of SimCitylancer can't keep their POBs tucked away from important stellar objects, we have to care about them - and it shouldn't come as a surprise that that kind of activity leads to them not exactly being well liked.

I'm well aware plenty of people like their POBs for reasons that don't involve mass area denial, and that's fine. I'm perfectly happy for John Smith to continue pottering about making his cloaks and jump drives - or whatever the hell it is people actually dump hours of their time into with bases - but I'm not happy with having the bloody O-41 > Gamma hole, NL > Cambridge gate, or all of the PR holes blocked off at all. There are precious few jump connections in the mod as is, with more seeming to have disappeared every mod version; we don't need even more being artificially taken away by selfish POB placement.