Discovery Gaming Community
Jump Gates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Jump Gates (/showthread.php?tid=124390)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Jump Gates - Caconym - 01-08-2015

I think the main problem about gate camping is when it's done in groups. I remember an engagement between LN forces and a bunch of OC and Rogue caps. The Unlawful cpas were camping on the other side of a gate which I can't remember - all I remember is that in 4.86, at the time, the gate was the only way to access its system from New York. As such, no matter what LN ship jumped, wether they be a Libby or a LF, they got curb stomped on the other side instantly after being dropped one or two lines as they were forced by the game mechanics to jump one by one, thus making them sitting ducks for the OC and Rogue caps. So that's one good side of the Pulse turrets, at least. They prevent that sort of stuff from happening. While I agree that they can be annoying, they were put here to prevent abuse. So unless another way is found to prevent that abuse, I say keep 'em. Maybe nerf them a bit, but definitely keep them.

RE: Jump Gates - Shinju - 01-08-2015

(01-07-2015, 01:26 PM)Internity Wrote: Also, guns on the trade lanes are made to keep away pirates. It's very logical.

However trade lanes are without weapons. I miss old days where you could disable Gate/station turret for 2 minutes or so...

RE: Jump Gates - Veygaar - 01-08-2015

If any trader is silly enough to get caught mid-lane that is sad.

I can detect a pirate 17k away, drop out of the lane, and get away easy. Only way a pirate is going to catch me is AT a JG or JH. Other wise they are detected and avoided at range with ease.

Super easy to trade atm, which is good because I lost all my ships to inactivity. Trading has deff. become very easy.

RE: Jump Gates - Curios - 01-08-2015

It's players who should be dealing damage to other players - not some NPC objects. I was against those weird experiments that was a part of piracy gameplay destruction back then and now too. Whoever invented that idea is retard.

RE: Jump Gates - sindroms - 01-08-2015

A reminder.
The reason turrets were removed from lanes is to prevent a very annoying CTD error, which would happen if a player went through the ring while the turret was disabled. Not only you'd CTD, you'd also lose your cargo and end up on the base you previously undocked from. Needless to say, it was annoying for miners.

RE: Jump Gates - Lythrilux - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 07:55 AM)sindroms Wrote: A reminder.
The reason turrets were removed from lanes is to prevent a very annoying CTD error, which would happen if a player went through the ring while the turret was disabled. Not only you'd CTD, you'd also lose your cargo and end up on the base you previously undocked from. Needless to say, it was annoying for miners.

How many people did that affect exactly? You talking about it is the first I've heard it.

RE: Jump Gates - sindroms - 01-08-2015

It was fixed in 85. It affected anyone within the range of the lane. Even the pirate.

RE: Jump Gates - Tutashkhia - 01-08-2015

Well, trade lanes and jump gates/holes were quite good in .85.

What Veygaar said, only a silly trader might get caught mid-lane. Scanner which costs around 200-300k can detect players within 17km and that's quite enough range to drop out of the lane and escape without getting robbed.

RE: Jump Gates - Karst - 01-11-2015

Just saw this and I agree absolutely.

It isn't just about cruiser piracy, you know. A snub pirate at a gate is forced to somehow sit in a place that won't get them pulsed, get close to a trade ship, and roleplay all at once.

I understand why important house stations have turrets, but jump gates? Considering how durable transports are these days, those are some of the few viable pirating spots left. And those pulses make them a lot more annoying, and certainly not just for cruiser pirates.