Discovery Gaming Community
New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship (/showthread.php?tid=10692)

Pages: 1 2

New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship - Fletcher - 07-25-2008

Mines namely the nuclear ones are the bane of the fighter class craft, but are only an annoyance to capital craft. Therefore, I think it may be interesting to try and add a new ship class, not just a new ship.

However, nuclear mines are in my eyes anti-fighter, mines (in RL) are a nightmare to large ships, and for good reason, they hurt a lot. Perhaps a new mine and launcher? (oh noes not another one). This mine type has more firepower to hurt capitals, however it lacks mobility say 50ms? But the launcher is only mountable/usable by the minelayer ship since if possible, would have infinite ammor, like the missile launcher.

Here are some simple figures that may kindle your imaginations to the ship I'm thinking of.
  • Ship Name - Minelayer Support Ship
  • Guns/Turrets - 2/1
  • Armor - 35000
  • Cargo Hold - 120
  • Bots/Bats - 200/200
  • Opt. Wep Class - 7 }
  • Max Wep Class - 9 } (Gunship/Gunboat powerplant?)
  • Equipment - CM, Mx3
  • Agility class - Bomber (Taiiden maybe?)
I think these stats resemble a bulky yet durable support craft. I picture this being a chunky boxy shape ship with a CM and 3 mine launchers to drop the ordinance on top of ships fast. Since it lacks Torpedo or Cruise Disruptor slots makes it not able to dance too long with other ships, or deal heavy gun or missile support.

As I have said before, this ship is meant to be a new way to take down capitals with skill required I think, so it cannot be wielded as easily as a bomber and 'whored' as it is said. I don't want to draw up mine launcher/ammo stats since I haven't thought about it. I'm sure you have a better idea than me.
However the mine launcher would take up so much energy, they cannot be used by bombers or fighter ships, thats the reasoning behind the large powerplant suggestion. And with the low weapon and class count, they cannot be 'uber fighters'.

Coming to think about it, RP wise, Gallia would use these craft to 'deploy' those immense minefields. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

EDIT: I've been introduced to Homeworld, this is where the idea came from, here is a small picture to kindle the mind more.
[Image: minelayer.jpg]

New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship - Jinx - 07-25-2008

a mine that hurts capships - its not so much about damage, but about damage radius. - a nova torpedo with its rather big radius can hardly hurt even a liners shields. - a juggernaut / RH BB / nomad BB / outcast DN - etc is practicly immune to those explosives, cause their shield hardpoint is simply too far away.

increasing the radius can be suicide though - come to think of it ... a supernova is deployed with a momentum of 200 + 55 ms - and still the bombers usually blow up. - a mine with even a larger radius would prolly be more dangerous.

now the good thing is - you can make the ammo cost 100000000 credits, cause any minelayer will only need 1 mine, cause he won t be able to deploy more anyway - cause he ll lack a hull by that time.

a mine can also be devastating in anti fighter combat then. - often mines are not blown up cause they actually collide with anything - but they blow up cause the minelayer fires a train CD into them - and a huge blast radius would simply consume anything.

New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship - Manni - 07-25-2008

This would be a real bomber.
These mines would just be bombs in my view:)
I like the idea.
If you need need developing new weaps + blast effects conact me.
(look in my profile, msn is best for it:P)

EDIT:

' Wrote:a mine that hurts capships - its not so much about damage, but about damage radius. - a nova torpedo with its rather big radius can hardly hurt even a liners shields. - a juggernaut / RH BB / nomad BB / outcast DN - etc is practicly immune to those explosives, cause their shield hardpoint is simply too far away.

increasing the radius can be suicide though - come to think of it ... a supernova is deployed with a momentum of 200 + 55 ms - and still the bombers usually blow up. - a mine with even a larger radius would prolly be more dangerous.

now the good thing is - you can make the ammo cost 100000000 credits, cause any minelayer will only need 1 mine, cause he won t be able to deploy more anyway - cause he ll lack a hull by that time.

a mine can also be devastating in anti fighter combat then. - often mines are not blown up cause they actually collide with anything - but they blow up cause the minelayer fires a train CD into them - and a huge blast radius would simply consume anything.

A Supernova makes no blast radius:)
I think you mean Nova-torp.
This torp is..umm...very devastating. Very painful if you cant handle them due to the 100m explosion range.

' Wrote:a mine that hurts capships - its not so much about damage, but about damage radius. - a nova torpedo with its rather big radius can hardly hurt even a liners shields. - a juggernaut / RH BB / nomad BB / outcast DN - etc is practicly immune to those explosives, cause their shield hardpoint is simply too far away.

Hmm, while the blast radius would as you say 'consume all who CD them', how about the mines have a small blast radius but are able to be deployed in batches very fast? Thats why I place the Minelayer ship with 3 mine slots.

This by itself is not a suggesting to make 'uber mines', but to make a ship that specializes in them to attempt to take down capitals. I'm not saying it can take down a Battleship by itself, its a support ship as its said in the title.:unsure:

EDIT: @xX_Colonia_Xx

Well, mines are bombs aren't they?:lol: More bomb variety = more RP maybe and more fun.:)

How about these new mines consum extrem high energy? So fighters and bombers can't use them, which will provide this abuse.

Just give this support-ship very much energy, should fit due to its very less guns...
I like that idea

EDIT:
Well Fletcher, some new mines would be of course nice, but a lack are the torps currently....
...hmmmm......torp-ship.......3 novas at one time....:nyam:...capkiller

would be even better than mines, oh and if there would be added new torps, there could be a mix, so more strategy:)

' Wrote:How about these new mines consum extrem high energy? So fighters and bombers can't use them, which will provide this abuse.

Just give this support-ship very much energy, should fit due to its very less guns...
I like that idea
Ah drat I forgot to enter that in. I meant to add that the mine launchers take up so much energy that the fighters or bomber cannot use them. Will edit in.:nyam:

New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship - Amon.Cire - 07-25-2008

cool concept! :)

New Ship: Minelayer Support Ship - Tenacity - 07-25-2008

I set up an IMG spatial (which has 2 minelayers) as a sort of anti-cap fighter once... put two nuke mine droppers on it and a bunch of heavy hitting codes + shieldbusters.

Needless to say, even nuke mines - the best available right now - are largely ineffective against capships.

' Wrote:I set up an IMG spatial (which has 2 minelayers) as a sort of anti-cap fighter once... put two nuke mine droppers on it and a bunch of heavy hitting codes + shieldbusters.

Needless to say, even nuke mines - the best available right now - are largely ineffective against capships.
Even 2 nuclear mine launcher don't really touch capitals, they are just anti everything under capital class. These mines would be tooled towards anti-capital. Slow speed, low blast radius and high damage count. Nova mines perhaps? Or antimatter mines? Since Antimatter or Novas I hear have little to no blast radius.

It takes 45 nuke-mines to kill a Corsair-gb when he is asleep.
I know it, i tested it XD