Discovery Gaming Community
Different shield types - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Different shield types (/showthread.php?tid=10785)

Different shield types - weylin - 07-29-2008

Besides the types as far as graviton, molecular ect, would it be possible to have shields with a more distinct difference?

What I have in mind is somthing along the lines of shields with varying recharge/max shield

A few examples

Deflector: Low shielding, High recharge rate. This shield can be brought down very easily, but activates and fully charges in a very short time.

Reactive armour: High shielding, low recharge. This shield would let you take ALOT of damage in a very short period of time, outlasting others in the short term. However, this shield system would work poorly in exteneded combat.

Reflux Capacitor: medium shielding, medium recharge. This shield system is very effective at absorbing the damage that anti-shield weapons often put out, but as a result, it is unable to recover quickly or maintain a high degree of shielding so its worse against normal weapons.

On a side note, multi-arced shields would be interesting, it would be somthing interesting for capital ships possibly as they could navigate to spread damage out over the different sides, though I'm certain it would require a source code change of some sort.

Different shield types - Telbasta - 07-29-2008

we already have positron, graviton, and uh... whatever the other shield type is.

Graviton shields, for instance, take less damage (75% I think) from laser, photon, and pulse weapons - making them naturally better against shieldbusters (pulse weapons) than other shield types. However, they take extra damage (I believe 125%) from certain weapons, like particle guns.

Going through and changing regen and capacity rates on every shield available would be extremely time consuming, and couldnt have a large effect on the game due to balance issues.

Different shield types - Jinx - 07-29-2008

the differences to shield type and weapons is 20% to weakest and strongest counterpart. - in your example, the deflector would be superior to any other - cause its mostly the recharge / initial shield recharge that saves a pilot.

thats due to the mechanics of the game - with even 1 single shield point, you are able to survive infinite damage. - so a shield that recharges fast from zero to the usual 15% or so is worth more than a shield that has a lot of initial energy, but won t recharge by itself quickly.

for example - a single bomber can take out a transport, cause the transports shields - although strong - recharge slowly. - so the time between killing the shields and the initial recharge of them is long enough to allow another supernova right into the hull.

a fighter shields however recharge faster than a supernova can refire. - so a bomber with only one supernova cannot destroy a fighter ( unless he uses unusual tactics like intentionally colliding with it to drop its shields ) cause whenever you drop the shields, - the shields are back up once your next shot appears.

I see, that makes since:)

Though you know what would have been a better system to begin with?

having shield subtract from damage.

Lets say you got 100 shields and 1000 hull and take 200 damage.
Shields would drop to 0, and hull would drop by 100

Different shield types - Telbasta - 07-29-2008

' Wrote:I see, that makes since:)

Though you know what would have been a better system to begin with?

having shield subtract from damage.
Lets say you got 100 shields and 1000 hull and take 200 damage.
Shields would drop to 0, and hull would drop by 100

I think that's another game limitation, without the source code we simply cant change it.

Oh i figured its a limitation, and it would effect the balance greatly

bombers would be getting one hit kills.

What about directional shields? like different arcs? Theres only one meter, but i hear you can drop individual shields