Discovery Gaming Community
New Kusari Ship - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: New Kusari Ship (/showthread.php?tid=10817)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

New Kusari Ship - Telbasta - 07-30-2008

Always taking feedback, if you think something on the model needs changed let me know.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure who this ship would fit or if it could replace any current ships... maybe a hogosha transport? :P

The general design makes it feel very big, but as you can see by the 'windows' it isnt. I cant compare it to anything right now, but it would probably end up around the same size as the kusari "big dragon" transport - which is what I followed for design when I was making this thing. It doesnt really strike me as a true warship, but could be some kind of transport/capship mix if given to someone like the hogosha, where it would serve as a 'headquarters' ship for clan bosses.

Anyways, the pictures:
[Image: 2qbyc1g.jpg]
[Image: 6gir6p.jpg]
[Image: 33xydew.jpg]
[Image: 21cxzs4.jpg]
[Image: 2vj5qgh.jpg]
[Image: 2roj7uf.jpg]
[Image: 2wn760l.jpg]
[Image: 21b98x4.jpg]

And for design comparison, here's the big dragon transport:
[Image: 2j0kx7s.jpg]

here's some colored versions to help see details better. I'd texture them but... I'm still trying to figure out how to apply jinx's texturing tutorial for milkshape to 3d studio max :D

[Image: 10pdeki.jpg]
[Image: jqnoea.jpg]
[Image: 2cegdpe.jpg]

I may change how the bottom/rear portion is shaped, and cut it from 6 engines down to 4 or 5, I'm not sure yet. 6 engines looks like a few too many for a ship that really isnt supposed to be very large.

New Kusari Ship - Jinx - 07-30-2008

hard to say - the concept / idea is good. - it fits in. - but it still lacks a great deal of details and adjustments to the shapes. - while the big dragon made by AoM is what one might call "reasonable" - the model you presented is a bit more cartoonish. - some elements are exaggerated compared to other designs.

or to say it in other words - the big dragon is a spaceship with a habitational module that resembles classic japaneese temple buildings.

your ship is a building complex with space engines attached to it.

if you get the idea .... - what i am missing on the ship is a frame - a frame that is the spaceship. it looks a bit like a cartoonish version of a kusari ship would look like - its definitely kusari and freelancer. - but its not really as realistic ( for however much one can use that term in a sci fi game ) as the vanilla ships.

the windows sizes are too great. - the ship suggests to be HUGE - or it wouldn t need so many engines ( even the battleship has only got 4 ) - but if you compare the windows with those on the vanilla ships, this ships size would be half the size of a destroyer - making it look like a creature with a head but no body... sort of. ( just an association )

i d keep working on the model for sure, cause it is unique and it does look kusari / freelancer, which is a great deal already...but it needs tuning.

Hm... ok. I think the biggest issue with it looking 'cartoony' is the front end, it's very large compared to the rest of the ship, at least from the side view.

Textures could help fix the problem with the windows appearing too big - cutting them in 'half' vertically so each of those windows would actually be two seperate levels. I can also try adding some seperators into the middle of each.

The back end I still need to work on though, I do think 6 engines is a big many, I could probably chop it down to 5 (3 on the top level, 2 on the bottom) and re-work the space where the bottom engine is now.

New Kusari Ship - Kuraine - 07-30-2008

It looks alright, but the biggest issue I have with it is that a lot of it looks too blocky/square, and it could do with smoothing out and rounding off the edges with curves.

New Kusari Ship - Boss - 07-30-2008

Make it a bit longer too? The nose seems smashed in.

Ok, updated:

-The 6 engines were reduced to the top 3, and the rear end was altered to match.
-The windows were all sliced 'in half', so as to make the ship appear larger.
-The command section in the center/front of the ship was reduced to half size to match the other windows.
-The bottom of the 'hatchet' on the front end of the ship was shortened, and the kusari symbol was moved up slightly.

[Image: 23y13.jpg]
[Image: 2s9rju8.jpg]
[Image: 1584mjp.jpg]
[Image: 1rvz1h.jpg]
[Image: 23qqt0.jpg]
[Image: 5d06te.jpg]
[Image: 2rg2xef.jpg]
[Image: 10g9uv5.jpg]

edit-

So what kind of ship would this serve well as? I'd like it to go to the hogosha, since they're the group I play most :P
Perhaps a slow-turning gunboat-class ship, eight turrets like the corsair gb, but higher-than-normal armor. It'd have a large profile - cruiser sized - and wouldnt be very manuverable at all, but if it served as a hogosha headquarters ship it'd need the firepower to defend itself. Perhaps semi-high cargo space, 1500-2000 or so to allow artifact smuggling and/or the demand of cargo?

New Kusari Ship - El Nino - 07-30-2008

ID make it the Kusari Liner, due to all the housing....

' Wrote:ID make it the Kusari Liner, due to all the housing....

I think jinx already has a model out there for the kusari cruise liner replacement.

New Kusari Ship - Kontrazec (Somni) - 07-30-2008

Hmm...

Another thought!

If you could make the nose fit to the edges,it would remove some blockyness.

Although,then it would kinda look like the Mammoth.

Try to widen the ''beak''.

See where it takes you.