Discovery Gaming Community
Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" (/showthread.php?tid=110024)

Pages: 1 2

Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - MrWeeks - 01-10-2014

I feel that the definition between Gunship vs Gunboat is not clear cut enough, even though their stats are pretty related, I feel that nothing in space should be referred to as a "Boat" thus the proposal to change the classification name from "Gunboat" to "Corvette" I feel that this name change will better distinguish that they are the class between gunships and cruisers.

If you feel you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here.

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Toaster - 01-10-2014

I approve, especially considering "ships" tend to be bigger than "boats," though gunboats in Disco are bigger than gunships.

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Vipera Berus - 01-10-2014

Strictly speaking a corvette is a more powerful vessel than a gunship. It would make sense to rename all the gunboats gunships. The closest thing to a corvette in freelancer is the salvage frigate which seems to be more accurately described as a Q-ship. (to me at least).

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Pavel - 01-11-2014

Moving to proper subforum

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Hidamari - 01-11-2014

Light Fighter - Scout
Heavy Light Fighter - Interceptor
Heavy Fighter - Light Gunship
Very Heavy Fighter - Gunship
Super Heavy Fighter - Super Gunship
Bomber
Gunship - Corvette
Gunboat - Frigate
Destroyer
Cruiser
Heavy Cruiser
Battlecruiser
Dreadnought
Battleship
Carrier

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Deatlev - 01-11-2014

I like the idea and the idea above. I support it, it will probably be for the best.

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Omicron - 01-11-2014

if anything, snubs should be classed:

Scout/Courier
- any LF with laughable firepower and size
Interceptor - Scimitar, Onuris
Space superiority fighter - Karasu
Assault fighter - Guardian, Bastet (the lower part of VHF's)
Multi-role fighter - Nephthys, Avenger, Titan (heavier VHF's capable of engaging more or less anything due to core & weapons)
Fighter bomber - Belgemir?
Strike/Main bomber - Sekhmet, Falcata
Fleet bomber - Waran
Gunship - SHF's

With gunships/gunboats being reshifted into the frigate/corvette cathegories, speaking of such also keeping it consistent across the board. For example Tridente currently being a gunship is wrong. It has 8 turrets on it.

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Tunicle - 01-11-2014

Whilst I applaud anyone who takes the time to input into this community, what exactly would this achieve?

Renaming non-existant ship types on a real-lfe surface ship basis, why?

I am sure there are a lot more changes that impact gameplay that are on the list than a "re-arranging deckchairs" exercise.

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - MrWeeks - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 04:59 PM)Tunicle Wrote: Whilst I applaud anyone who takes the time to input into this community, what exactly would this achieve?

Renaming non-existant ship types on a real-lfe surface ship basis, why?

I am sure there are a lot more changes that impact gameplay that are on the list than a "re-arranging deckchairs" exercise.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to rename so many of the classes, my only gripe was Gunboat/Gunship.

The term "gunship" originally appeared in the mid-19th century as a less-common synonym for gunboat.

RE: Proposal: Change the classification of "Gunboat" to "Corvette" - Lutz.Torwald - 01-11-2014

I would agree on the renaming for the gunboat's to corvettes. I think it better reflects their field of use aswell.