Discovery Gaming Community
Technerfs / Shipcompat - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Technerfs / Shipcompat (/showthread.php?tid=111326)

Pages: 1 2

Technerfs / Shipcompat - Korny - 02-02-2014

I really wanted to shut up about it, but it seems to come up in a lot of discussions, both on skype and in forums.

Who thought of this system? I get it, you guys wanted to cut down on roleplay that solely existed to get the best PvP-gear including weapons and ships. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but what's the price? You basically killed roleplay regarding tech between factions, entirely. To be honest, I'd rather see a good bunch of ships flying around with shared tech which encourages me and my faction to do the same instead of the completely stale 10% core bullcrap we have now.

It would bring some life back into faction relations in general as well.

That's just my two cents, and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that way, guise?

Just because it's cool, I'll add a poll whether the technerf system is a good idea in your opinion, or utter bs like it is in my opinion.

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - Lythrilux - 02-02-2014

The Admins want less of a workload. So they don't want to have to regulate all of the technology being passed around. Even if a technerf in itself is dumb logic.

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - Korny - 02-02-2014

Yeah well, and then I thought that roleplay should be encouraged on this server, rather than to completely make it redundant.

Going into another thing, the Shipcompat is just plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense at all. It's probably the most ooRP thing in the entire mod. It just doesn't make sense why I can't use Rogue weapons on a civilian or bordeworlds ship. Is it meant to be like sticking a razor plugin into a typical wall socket?

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - onca - 02-02-2014

Shipcompat is a good idea, but it's too strictly implemented in its current form. Eg, I bought Bretonia particle guns for my BMM tagged mining ship, and power was nerfed to 90%. I mean, come on. Although TBF this was a couple of patches ago, and civ guns have been buffed. But it can get VERY expensive if you use common sense, rather than having the tech sheet in front of you. I don't even want to imagine spending $6m on a cool-sounding engine.....

My only suggestion is to update all ID cards to reflect shipcompat. But ah frak billy, that would a lot of work.

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - Hawk - 02-02-2014

I locked a similar thread earlier today. If the same feud appears here there will be some vacations involved.

Believe it or not, the admins and devs actually DO listen to suggestions. We find it particularly helpful when someone explains why something doesn't work and offers and OBJECTIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE suggestion to fix it.

Just so we're clear, this is not objective or constructive.

(02-02-2014, 08:21 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Going into another thing, the Shipcompat is just plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense at all. It's probably the most ooRP thing in the entire mod.

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - Connor - 02-02-2014

I would say this is an Inrp thing because each faction makes their weapons with slightly different equipment, so to speak giving each weaponiit's own personality. Each ship is made different as well. You could say that the id is the software that runs the ship (no id, no core because of no software). Then each different piece of software has compatible tech and incompatible tech as well, because they don't have the right software and programs to run cores with ships combinations that don't work. It overloads causing the core to become weaker.

I hope that made sense, but that's the reason why I think they're in ro. I mean it's like trying to run Windows 95 on an Imac. Quite hard and you get alot of issues

(02-02-2014, 11:12 PM)Hawk Wrote: I locked a similar thread earlier today. If the same feud appears here there will be some vacations involved.

Believe it or not, the admins and devs actually DO listen to suggestions. We find it particularly helpful when someone explains why something doesn't work and offers and OBJECTIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE suggestion to fix it.

Just so we're clear, this is not objective or constructive.

(02-02-2014, 08:21 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Going into another thing, the Shipcompat is just plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense at all. It's probably the most ooRP thing in the entire mod.

That's completely constructive. I'm saying that the Shipcompat is ooRP. It doesn't make any sense.
Unless you want me to write an entire forum thread about it, which no doubt you will lock, then it's completely constructive.

I'm not going to get into petty arguments though.

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - Kazinsal - 02-03-2014

Yes, mounting equipment on ships is effectively plug-n-play. Civilian ships are designed to accept civilian weapons, because civilians use them. Border Worlds ships are designed to accept weapons used by factions in the Border Worlds, because factions in the Border Worlds use them.

RE: Technerfs / Shipcompat - Lythrilux - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 12:46 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: Yes, mounting equipment on ships is effectively plug-n-play. Civilian ships are designed to accept civilian weapons, because civilians use them. Border Worlds ships are designed to accept weapons used by factions in the Border Worlds, because factions in the Border Worlds use them.

Would it not make sense for factions to be able to modify civilian ships, due to their easy to access nature, and make it so they can mount their own technology?