Discovery Gaming Community
range of tractor beams - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: range of tractor beams (/showthread.php?tid=11243)

range of tractor beams - Jinx - 08-13-2008

i just noticed that recently .. on the Persephone ( zoner ID ) i can only tractor stuff that is a maximum of 1000 meters away. - on Clover ( Gaian ID ) i can tractor stuff that was up to 1500 meters away. - is that intended? - i know that a 200 meter tractor range for the nomads is intended.... but i d love to know if there is a reason for the differences ( and 50% is quite a difference ) for the zoner ID to have such a short range....

or is it cause i tractor stuff on a juggernaut on the persephone and the distance is measured from another point than on the gaian, where i tested it on a VHF.

range of tractor beams - Seth Karlo - 08-13-2008

Strange.

I didn't think there was a difference at all between tractor ranges.

I would think that Zoners should have a longer range, not shorter.

Or maybe junlers should have a longer range...

range of tractor beams - centauri5pirate - 08-13-2008

In a previous version of Discovery, 4.80 maybe, there were different mountable tractor beams, a regular range and a long range. Would it be possible to bring something like that back again? If so, it would be AWESOME. Or since the ID acts as a tractor beam now, would that be too hard to implement again?

range of tractor beams - Jonathan_Archer_nx01 - 08-13-2008

' Wrote:In a previous version of Discovery, 4.80 maybe, there were different mountable tractor beams, a regular range and a long range. Would it be possible to bring something like that back again? If so, it would be AWESOME. Or since the ID acts as a tractor beam now, would that be too hard to implement again?
You would get the one with the longest range anyway.

Also, why is the range of Nomad tractor beam so short?

balance issue - and they are not supposed to be able to tractor stuff in as they are living beings rather than ships with cargohold. - but i don t know the real RP reason, this is just what i suspect.

range of tractor beams - Boss - 08-13-2008

AFAIK, I read it somewhere, the Nomads don't care for human's junk, so they just don't bother bringing it aboard.

range of tractor beams - Fletcher - 08-13-2008

In all my ships my maximum range is 1498m I think. I use the loot filter a lot after a Delta mission.

range of tractor beams - Thexare - 08-13-2008

I think, Jinx, that your issue is probably ship-related. Isn't the Persephone a Zoner Juggernaught?

If the distance to an object is calculated based on where the front of the ship is, and the tractor beam is at the middle or back of the ship, you'd need to get closer than a fighter would.

i would suspect the same - however, the range to tractor stuff in is exactly 1k - no matter if the stuff is ahead or behind the ship. ... but anyway, i suspect it to be ship related, too....

range of tractor beams - Tenacity - 08-13-2008

I dont think we need different ranged tractorbeams available to all, but each faction should have varying ranges.

Examples:
Miner ID's (including IMG, GMG, and BMM) and Junker ID's should have the longest range
Pirate ID's (including all other unlawful factions) and Lawful ID's should have medium range
Trader ID's should have the shortest range