Discovery Gaming Community
the whale - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: the whale (/showthread.php?tid=11253)

Pages: 1 2 3

the whale - Jinx - 08-13-2008

well - since i ve been working on the GMG bomber.... i also thought about the whale, which is a GMG ship ( for those that do not know it )

in its current form, its quite a universal transport - if not to say superior in many - too many stats. - its size is unmatched and it can fly through asteroids like no other ship of that size. - the fact that it has no weapons is sort of irrelevant, as a train with its 5 turrets won t scare anyone either. only the pirate transport or so ( like 9 guns or more ) can really do much against a pirate that is not trying to pirate while being on valium.

the current ID says that the whale is meant to be a short distance transport with unmatched cargo capacity. ... and we are lacking 5000 cargospace transports.

so - here is a concept, ( which might get too far, but thats my thought about it ) :
- armour 30.000 ( currently 95.000 )
- cargospace 5000 ( currently 4700 )
- max shield lvl6 ( currently lvl7 ) - so that would reduce it to a 29k shield with a 250 regeneration

nerfing it that way would make it a true short distance transport with a maximum cargo capacity - if 5000 stays the maximum, which i do hope so. - in the end, its almost a steal ... 67 million credits for such a transport is about half of what an adv. train costs.

ahh, and here is a model i made for fun. - its a low qual model - and nothing more than a rig for containers - which is how i see the whale....

[Image: whaleconcept.jpg]
its not the sophisticated ship i posted in the transport thread ( it wasn t really FLish ) - this one is VERY simple in its structure. - its a flat cargospace, a big crane - and a sideways mounted bridge/cockpit module. - the ship itself is nothing more than structural elements that hold it together as good as possible, but without a ( real ) chassis. while that model is not really great - it expresses abit what i think the whale should be like. ( this model is as big as the whale, but as you can see, the point of view is sideways, which is a funny feeling, cause the middle axis of the ship is still - well, in the middle )

edit: i made some tests with the engines - and if the engines are like the ones on this model, no NPC ( that means no CD except a train CD ) can stop that ship.

the whale - Eternal - 08-13-2008

Yet another grand model - signed by Jinx

Is there realy something else to add to this ? Simply put it in 4.85.

well, the question is - would anyone ( except me ) use the whale if it was nerft like that - but its cargo boasted to 5000? - is that a reasonable fix to its intended mission as a short range transport in secured space...

edit: and i don t think i d add "this" model. - its quality is really low. - i just slapped some UV textures around it and it looks like its build out of space debris and not as if build by a faction like the GMG.

the whale - bearlee89 - 08-13-2008

I would use the whale... I've got one currently and I'd love to see it remodeled.

Although, I'd still throw an armor Mk VIII upgrade on it and the best shield I can find and use it for long distance uses. Hehe

the whale - Eternal - 08-13-2008

It looks just like a huge cargo ship from the present days , but put in space and modified. Thats how I like to see cargo ships. As massive constructions and plenty of room for personel to be onboard.

About the nerfing , I find it to be quite withing the RP limits. It should be a massive transport but with a fragile contruction to equal it's massive cargo capacity. I actually thing that this is a ship for the Planeform faction. I can just imagine ten or more of these ship bringing supplies to teraform a planet.

here is the ship without the cargo - btw...:laugh:

[Image: whaleconcept-1.png]

as you can see - its VERY basic.

the whale - Linkus - 08-13-2008

It looks simply brilliant. I've been working on models similar to this, built around the containers more than the structure of the ship so to speak but always end up with something that doesn't just look right. This though, does.

One question though, how does it handle in asteroid fields?

the whale - Silent_M - 08-13-2008

hmmm a very interesting design yet again:)

to me it looks more like a construction site ship for some reason, and the design reminds me of the Final Fantasy series:laugh: i really don't know why hehe.

but after remodeling it like that, uhm what would be the point of calling this ship the 'whale' then? the other design you introduced was simply incredible, too bad you scratched it. :unsure:

cheers

well, the name "whale" contributes to its surprisingly large cargo - and not so much to its size or shape... although the shape is prolly still namegiving. - but like i said, THIS model is not being submitted, cause its butt-ugly ( and hard to fly through asteroids, cause the point of view is on its side - rather than the center )

i have an idea for the whale ( a ship that looks nicer ... after all, players like to have something for the eyes, too, even if its more realistic to simply attach some engines to a rig to get good from a to b )

the whale - Tenacity - 08-13-2008

um... different textures, please. At the very least make all those cargo boxes have cargo pod textures or something.

Right now it looks like the entire ship is just dunked in a can of grey paint, which makes it hard to distinguish each part of the ship =P Other than that, looks good.

BTW, I love the side-mounted cockpit, I wish more of our ships had that.