Discovery Gaming Community
Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? (/showthread.php?tid=11360)

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Clarkie - 08-17-2008

Hey folks.

I'm thinking about creating a 2nd zoner char in a fighter and I'm struggling to choose between the 3 ships mentioned. All seem suitable rp-wise for a zoner, all are small, agile, with similar armour, number of guns and batts etc.. What is there to choose between them.. I even like how they all look!:D

I have flown all 3 of these in SP, but would love any observations from more experienced pilots?

**Furthermore, what 'brands' of weaponry are considered acceptable or a zoner, given that they have no enemies??

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Jinx - 08-17-2008

the eagle is first choice....

the talon rather not so much....

the stinger might be second choice....

the sabre works, too... - third choice

the viper .... if you must

a TRUE zoner VHF is the kushan VHF sold in frankfurt. - no one uses it though. - but its the only genuine zoner developement.

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Thexare - 08-17-2008

' Wrote:the viper .... if you must
a TRUE zoner VHF is the kushan VHF sold in frankfurt. - no one uses it though. - but its the only genuine zoner developement.
While they weren't developed by the Zoners, the infocards on both Vipers explicitly state that they build it.

Edit: That said, I'd agree with Doom that an Eagle would be the best choice. My Zoner only has a Viper MkII because it was easier to get to, and this was one of my first characters. End edit.

On the weapon topic, my Zoner uses two Fury 5s, two Adv. Debilitators, and two Heavy Flashpoints. The flashpoints were originally because I ran out of money to finish replacing them with Fury 5s, but that arrangement grew on me. You're neutral to most factions, not allied, so you probably wouldn't get their weapons - and The Order would probably want to keep most of their weapons to themselves, really, so that leaves just Zoner, Civilian, and maybe GMG.

Well, the infocard says GMG, anyway. The in-game rep says IMG.

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Doom - 08-17-2008

eagle...best ship all the way...

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Clarkie - 08-17-2008

Ok, thanks for the posts so far folks. I have to admit that the Eagle is no doubt a classic, I'm pretty happy with it, but wouldnt mind a slightly more powerful power core, plus a few more bots etc. Other than that it does seem like the best over all choice.

On weapons, I do prefer guns with a very high projectile speed, which in terms of shield-busters points me towards Imp. Debilitators. However, the speed of these is 750 m/s, while my fury 5's are 700. Does that difference of 50 affect targetting much??

Also, if I was to mount 4 codes, would it be bad form to take a couple of Tizonas to match their speed??

Cheers.

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Thexare - 08-17-2008

' Wrote:On weapons, I do prefer guns with a very high projectile speed, which in terms of shield-busters points me towards Imp. Debilitators. However, the speed of these is 750 m/s, while my fury 5's are 700. Does that difference of 50 affect targetting much??
In my experience, the difference between those two isn't that big a deal. Had it been 600/700 or 600/750, it'd be more of an issue.
Quote:Also, if I was to mount 4 codes, would it be bad form to take a couple of Tizonas to match their speed??
On an Eagle that's a terrible idea, your energy would run dry in no time.

And people are pretty touchy about del Cids, so you probably shouldn't do that.

Talon, Eagle or Viper MkII? - Panzer - 08-18-2008

Vipers ftw

But as Doom said - Eagles are a good choice too.