Discovery Gaming Community
What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. (/showthread.php?tid=116071)

Pages: 1 2

What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - Garrett Jax - 06-01-2014

After today's round of bans, I felt it necessary to post some suggestions on what to do if you feel you, or someone you know, has been banned unjustly.

What to do

Remain calm. Just about anything can be reversed. If someone have been banned, they can easily be unbanned.

Request evidence For faction leaders and the accused (if possible). We are more than happy to provide you with the evidence leading up to the ban.

Post counter arguments here. The main goal for us is to make the right decision. To be candid, we don't always accomplish this, no matter how much we try. It's just part of being human. Please know, however, that no matter what decision we make, it's always with the best interests of the community at heart.

Posting in Players Request accomplishes a few things. It gives the community member a chance to pause and collect the facts. It gives us a rational (hopefully) viewpoint we may not have considered. Also, it gives all Admins the opportunity to review the arguments in a centralized location.

When posting, state facts, not feelings. For example, we don't care how long you've known this person. We don't care how nice he is. We do care if the evidence is misleading in someway. We do care if there are other facts pertaining to the case we have not been shown.

What Not to Do

Freak out Anything done, can be undone or fixed. Raging at us on Skype about how (insert swear word) we are, is not going to help you, or your friend/faction member. Personally, I will tune you out if you start swearing at me. I'm 45 yrs old. I volunteer my time to do this, and I'm not about to endure being sworn at by a teenager. I don't think anyone on the Staff will.

Post your arguments on the Sanction Report. Asking for evidence is fine. Arguing with us about it is not, at least not on the Sanction thread. Post your arguments in Players Request and we will review it again. We want to make the right decision, not create a scene that helps nobody. If you are told to stop posting on the Sanction Report, you better stop. It doesn't matter if you are 100% correct and we are 100% wrong, you will get banned.

Post a thread stating your arguments. You have already been judged as breaking a rule significant enough to warrant a ban. Do you really think your helping your case by breaking another and posting with an alt? If you feel the need to state your case, do so in Player Request, or get a friend to do so for you. Posting a thread with an alt, in order to garner community support, tells us you have little regard for the rules and we were justified in banning you.

Conclusion

We understand that much of the attraction of this mod is the friendships we develop over time. When we see one of our friends get banned, it angers us. We want to be thoroughly convinced that the ban was justified, and if we aren't, our sense of justice is outraged.

Please know that the staff is not evil. We do not rush to ban anyone. In fact, it could be argued that we don't take enough steps to ban troublesome members of the community. Also, if we realize after reviewing the Players Request, that we were unreasonable, or didn't consider all the facts, we will be happy to reverse the ban and apologize. If there is reasonable doubt, we will fall on the side of the accused.

Hopefully, this will help all to remain calm and give themselves, or their friends, the best chance at a fair hearing and possibly a reversal of their ban.

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - The.Wizard - 06-01-2014

Where do i file a complain around here?

What to do when cheater gets unbanned?
About month ago we caught cheater in NL system.I called admin,he arrived,fired admin cannons at him-nothing.
Bastilled at once,tomorrow in sanction notice permabann and all is fine,Disco universe is as it should be.
Few days ago we saw same char name shooting base in NL again,i call same admin asking about it and he told me :
"Yeah,he's been unbanned,tell me if you see him doing same thing again".
Really? Silently,behind community's back?
So I should spend my evan so reduced game time following cheater around,trying to get him caught AGAIN?
Thanks but-no thanks.

So-where do i file complain around here?

Maybe i should become cheater? Maybe we all should?
...cause that pattern:
cheating-getting banned-writing a poem-getting unbanned
sounds kinda nice.
It's not at all lame like the other pattern:
cheating-getting banned-doing serious ass kissing-getting unbanned.
Hell,i'm a guitar player,i can record rock opera every time,not just a poem.

So,where do i file complain around here?

What is the proper forum section for that?
Cause,you know,i wouldn't want to get banned for posting in a wrong forum section...

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - Narcotic - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 04:59 PM)Wizard. Wrote: Where do i file a complain around here?

For serious complaints/requests:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44

For non-serious complaints/requests:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=141

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - The.Wizard - 06-01-2014

My question was rhetorical one.
Exercising futility is not my thing.

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - donar - 06-03-2014

What is criteria for unbanning cheaters?

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - The.Wizard - 06-03-2014

(06-03-2014, 01:54 PM)donar Wrote: What is criteria for unbanning cheaters?

Can someone from the staff answer this please?
I would really like to know the answer...

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - Garrett Jax - 06-04-2014

I'm not sure there is a set criteria for unbanning cheaters per se. Here are some questions I ask myself when considering banning/unbanning cheaters.

Was it a glitch or an intentional edit of the mod files to obtain an unfair advantage?
Is there a reasonable doubt?
Is the accused a troublesome member of the community?
Has he admitted to cheating?
Has he apologized and assured us it won't happen again?
How long has the member been banned?
Has he attempted to circumvent his ban at any time?
How severe was the cheating? (First time multiboxers don't generally get banned. People editing system files do.)

Usually, when a player is banned indefinitely, we will not consider reinstatement for at least six months. Depending on the severity of the cheating, this may be longer, particularly if there are issues involving the player that go beyond cheating.

@Wizard. The particular case you refer to, the player was banned for four months, not one month. There was reasonable doubt among the staff that his situation was a glitch, not cheating. As stated in the OP, if there is a reasonable doubt, we will fall on the side of mercy. Even so, this player is under probation, can only post in RP threads and has been warned that if he is involved in any situation like this again, he will be banned indefinitely.

The fact that he was found attacking your base again, may be irritating to you, but it is not cheating. Please know, that it is extremely difficult to judge when someone is cheating or it's just a glitch in a 10 yr old mod. We value those who follow the rules, but we also believe in giving people a second chance, if it's warranted.

Last thought. This thread does not exist to argue the merits of unbanning specific members of the community. It is simply to inform the community of the general thought process of the Admins as they consider banning/unbanning cheaters. Please do not post here arguing with us that so and so should, or should not, have been banned/unbanned.

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - The.Wizard - 06-04-2014

(06-04-2014, 12:51 AM)Garrett Jax Wrote: @Wizard. The particular case you refer to, the player was banned for four months, not one month.
My bad and i apologize,i lost trek of time when it comes to FL.
(06-04-2014, 12:51 AM)Garrett Jax Wrote: The fact that he was found attacking your base again, may be irritating to you, but it is not cheating.
You misunderstood me,we saw him shooting PoB near Trafalgar,hence "again".
Of course i won't argue, I've being here long enough to know better.
Thanks for fair response.

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - elmery10 - 03-03-2019

Hello don't know if this is the right place but i can't connect and according to videos and other forums the "error" i'm getting is a ban. I don't remember playing but i can't connect with my ip. I don't care about the account or what ever got banned i just want a fresh start and having some RP fun Smile.

RE: What to do (and not do) when someone gets banned. - Thunderer - 03-03-2019

Post here: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=91864
Or check if you are listed here: https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=43