Discovery Gaming Community
The Oracles of Ishmael - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: The Oracles of Ishmael (/showthread.php?tid=116294)

The Oracles of Ishmael - HuggieSunrise - 06-06-2014

The Oracles of Ishmael
Solus, inquam, est in se

[Image: th_chakrachart.jpg]

Tag: Oracle|
ID: Freelancer Id / (we need our own BAD)
IFF: Outcast / Unknown

History & Background

The history of the Oracles is more of a held belief in the Tenants of the Mar Sarra. The Mar Sarra (Master Teacher) wrote the recordings of the Faith and while much of Malta's own history is steeped in heavy revision based on the controlling group at the time. The Oracles maintain that their line of Cardamine harvesters where the first group to have intimate contact with the "Spirits" of the Slomon K'hara.

Though a recent return of the "Cult", the Oracles find themselves asserting more responsibility over the Faith and the division between "human" followers of the way and the hybrids and embraced was seen to be abolished by the prophet McKenna. Subsequently all history, doctrine, and philosophy is covered in the Book of Estium (translated loosely as the Spiritual Summer of Malta.) This History however is cobbled from personal histories.

Early after settlement it was "communicated" that the significance of the flora and fauna of Malta had transmutative properties. Yet the effect on complex sentient life outside of what was "known" by the Spirits changed when they encountered the humans.

Arrangements and occlusion occurred where a cult formed, known by only itself to take vessels filled with the grasses of Malta and later refined cardamine into Nomad Space. This was by invitation, until it was held by an open invitation to those marked with the glyph of the K'hara. A simple dermal tattoo that seemed to contain a different form of luminous pigments that activate in the presence of Spirits was the only identification of one member to the next.

The shadow cartel that sprouted alongside the large export of Cardamine was able to embezzle shipments for the Spirits secretly for centuries. While the individual achievements of the Cult are silent to history they claim to be the originators for many technologies Malta uses today... then again the verification of these facts are... dubious it is what those within the Cult believe.

The Cult's transition into a public Faith occurred with the merging of the Oracles of "The Shrine" making the Cult of Sirius/Oracles entity. The Membership became more militant and assisting to Malta's defence in a show of the Spirits support of Malta, Nomad vessels would routinely be seen in concert with CoS and Oracle vessels in combat. The militant actions in support of the Faith weren't the only front. The problem of Malta's Cardamine sterility was also a major project.

The fruits of these initiative had mixed results at the time, but as the first two generations of children grew from the breeding program it was discovered that the 9 children were in danger of mental dissociation if they hit puberty within proximity to the Nomad Mirrorshare. The Cult was told to continue and the Oracles, hybrids and infected took a jump ship out of the sector. Without the Oracles guidance the Cult fell out of favor with the changing landscape of Malta's politics, much of the family land was annexed or possessed by more aggressive and expansionist cartel families.

At 820 A.S. the Oracle Emissary returned. The Oracles onboard had casualties but thanks to one of the Children "stowed" away the ship was able to envision the jump home. The childs name was El Saturnia Zsun the daughter of the previous High Mother. Her hybrid nature was unique among the other Oracles as her mental power was sufficient to manifest forms of K'hara vessels... The bridge from the Cult to Oracle and K'hara was complete with this generation entering adulthood.

And so it would seem the mission of the Cult was complete. Or so they thought... The Sector they left behind had changed. Their home at Malta shifted and many old friends where long dead. Prophet McKenna was foretold by Mar Sarra to show the new way, and so it happened; The division between the Oracles and the Cult ended with the creation of "the way".

The way is simply the orders of the Faith for the Oracles. And with pious action and devotion the Oracles can bring the next level of human existence to Malta and then the Universe.

The Order of the Faith

High Exarch

[Image: dTEZyF3.png]

The High Exarch, also called as Master Teacher, is the leader of the Oracles and the Faith. The High Exarch presides over the council of Exarchs and is the ultimate personification of what a Faithful aspires to become.

The current High Exarch of the Faith is Thomas Aquintas, also known as Threewinds. The High Exarchs are known to directly communicate with the Spirits and because of their hybrid race, they are essentially the unifying link between the humans and the Nomads.

Exarch

[Image: gvNhlQp.png]

The Exarchs are master instructors and warriors. In order for one to be elevated in this position they must achieve great accomplishes and be respected by the rest of the Faith.

Together the Exarchs form a council under the High Exarch. Only the council is allowed to elect new Exarchs. They are all distinguished individuals of the Faith and have learned important lessons to pass to those shorter on the path than them. Many embrace a Windcaller in hope that their apprentice becomes an Exarch in their place one day.

Windcaller

[Image: 0eICWE9.png]

The Windcallers are the Exarchs' apprentices. They are literally the shadow of the Exarch until they themselves are deemed exalted and begin their path to ascension. Windcallers are known to travel all-around Sirius, bringing new seekers to the Faith, overseeing the Cardamine deliveries into the major Houses, and relaying orders and missions to the secret agents of the Faith who are seeded in every corner of Sirius.

When a Windcaller is called their authority grows into being responsible for teaching the Tenants and Orders of Faith to Cultists and Seekers as well as learning knowledge from their master and using those insights to better themselves and those around them.

Cultist

[Image: i48sjyH.png]

A Cultist is born when a Windcaller has verified that a Seeker has completed his search for "the way". The spiritual path of a Seeker must be fully envisioned before a Cultist can work on study and devout service to the Faith. This can be anything from distributing cardamine to followers and other Cultists in seclusion or working as a secret agent waiting for their own ascension to Mar Sarra. Often the journey of self-discovery is long, but a Cultist is a person who has realized their destiny and is commited to the Faith.

They comprise the bulk of the Faith and each one has different missions and activities. Most of them, especially the Cultists of Malta are involved in the Cardamine trade. It should be noted that most Cultists do not change the activities of their former life after joining the Faith.

Seeker

Seekers are those who have been touched by Cardamine and wish to convert to ritual use instead of "profligate" or heretical abuse of Cardamine. As soon as a Seeker expresses interest in becoming a Cultist he must find a hybrid Exarch, an infected or a Spirit and be blessed with a vision. Any vision will do. This will be their key to the path.

Heretic

Heretics are those beyond redemption. The enemies of the Oracles or anyone who will refuse or forever be unfit to be a Seeker is a Heretic.

Characters

Thomas Aquintas aka Threewinds

[Image: th_alienreptilian.jpg]
Hybridization has always been a messy process, many die or rather return to the source from where they merge rather than dream a corporeal form ever again, some create a body out of the memory of whom they were and become a shadow of their former selves.. a specter if you will constantly watching and doing the nomads bidding. Many more are freaks of nature that prefer their perfect nomad energy side.

Thomas went from a healthy Maltese man that encountered death as a transition. Rejecting the Nomad side and appropriately "paid" for it with a body that produced biologically toxic levels of Cyanide. Through the ritual use of Cardamine as well as visits to alien worlds hidden deep in nomad systems and nebule he was able to assimilate genetics and traits that made him "something else" but he was also able to convert infected to metabolise cardamine as he always had... and reclaim a majority of his human perspective.

This created a Maltese infected... the price was the ritual use of cardamine for without it the division between Mirrorshare and Mind would be nonexistent.

El Saturnia Zsun

[Image: th_Blue-priestess.jpg]
Child of Ishtar Zsun and classified by the CoS breeding program as eve # 0, Saturnia was an accelerated gestation that through a strange error in genetic sequencing ... aged in reverse until the onset of puberty.

Saturnia is able in bilocate her human form or two different nomad forms. And while the program that made her what she was has been sealed she admits she is a mental clone of her mother... but free and often does decide differently than her. Most of the other Adams and Eves of the program had ancestral memories from their parents, it was the "conflict" of these memories with the Mindshare's memories that threatened the children's psychies.

She's the only Oracle who does not elect to use "icky human crap".

Shahrazad

Typically the "embraced" the word for hybrids and infected had a special status, but this has been done away with. In the case of this hybrid however the typical mutating effects did not take hold. Possibly because of her apprenticeship under Thomas.

Exarch Prime beneath Threewinds in hierarchy, she has often stayed silent and behind the scenes. More of an enforcer for the Oracles, she makes sure that the jittery ones in the fighters don't shoot first. Also those charges of promiscuity within the cult being "her idea" had more to do with her being a madam at a burlesque house during her human life.

Diplomacy

Diplomacy cannot be covered by a list I am afraid. We are passive by nature we will not fight unless attacked, and if we do attack you odds are you are branded as a Heretic by the Exarchs.
  1. Our cultists are spread among many of the organizations of Sirius. Though their existence must be kept secret, there is a possibility they are amongst you now...
  2. Attacking any member infected, hybrid or Nomad will result In immediate assault.
  3. Outcasts are regarded as "above" non-users of Cardamine but the cult does not believe in merit factoring into whether or not you're a Heretic.
  4. We do not have to execute you publicly. Just be warned Saturnia does not suffer fools to live.
  5. Also Junkers sort of assist us in every aspect of the Cardamine trade so we don't hesitate to call them useful even if they are mostly motivated by money and thus are considered as infidels. However infidels are not heretics.

Operations

The ships and equipment that you wish to use is your own choice. If your are using an overt Oracle, then you are much likely to use Outcast technology. Roleplay occurs within the Outcast ZoI however Seekers may not be tagged during their pilgrimage, but they will have to obey ID restrictions.

The Master Teacher is publicly available at The Shrine and he tends to fly around the surrounding systems for kindred souls. The Faith's home is Malta but our work is wherever it calls us. As a player you should expect spirituality and religion. Expect to be challenged and given things to do, to roleplay. Not just fetch quests and attack orders, no. The core of the Oracles is to put the misfit into a situation where it will grow the best. Remember our attitude is passive and changes to hostile only during some very specific situations.

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - HuggieSunrise - 06-06-2014

So. Currently. As head of the Noma faction the Oracles.. are still going.

Were still rp intensive. Still going for our own Id. So if you want to be one? Ask one.

Well get you into the skype eventually.

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - SnakeLancerHaven - 06-06-2014

Hmmm.... Never thought I'd see the Oracles back... But wait this is different I suppose? Kinda liked the old Oracle more Tongue

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - Deeceem - 06-06-2014

I never had the pleasure to encounter the old Oracles, but from what I'm reading, I like this one.

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - HuggieSunrise - 06-07-2014

(06-06-2014, 09:24 AM)Snake Wrote: Hmmm.... Never thought I'd see the Oracles back... But wait this is different I suppose? Kinda liked the old Oracle more Tongue

actually we preach and rp vary close to tenas its just were avoiding using them purely as a recruiting tool for the khara. This faction im going to actually foster and insist on RP in our chats. since well have a separate oorp chat for screwing around in.

Thanks for the interest and taking a peek over here.

(06-06-2014, 02:58 PM)Deeceem Wrote: I never had the pleasure to encounter the old Oracles, but from what I'm reading, I like this one.

hope to see you out there!

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - SpaceTime - 06-19-2015

I love the concept! Too bad that currently the only official Outcast faction in the server has many similarities with the Oracles. That means demand for this faction is not as high as it would normally have been.

(06-06-2014, 12:39 AM)HuggieSunrise Wrote: Tag: Oracle|
ID: OC
IFF: OC

Perhaps use a different ID instead? Outcasts might be the Church's HQ, but as far as I understand its membership is made up from literally anything. So a generic ID could be used instead or if you moved the Headquarters somewhere else?

Just throwing ideas.

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - HuggieSunrise - 06-19-2015

Its been so long. lol. Ah actually If i were to compare the vessels currently active under the oracle tag.. two currently use the OC id.

the rest are majority Wilde Id'd and Spec Op's

If there was a generic that fit the best.. it would be freelancer since that's what the "cult" itself uses and has used for many years. Officialdom however has only so many perks to offer but only after constraining or sticking to a particular ID. would we even be able to achieve it.

Oracles would probably have to be their own thing to start with and.. truthfully I don't see the rules being bent for little old us. So its basicly backroom deals and backroom rp.

But at least were all still having fun.

RE: The Oracles of Ishmael - Sciamach - 06-19-2015

I'd just like to say I love the Oracles and have had nothing but fantastic interactions with them. The fact that they fly OC ID/IFF was always a formality, or at least thats how I was told it, so honestly the overshadowing effect is less of an issue. I do my best to try to be accommodating to Huggie, and we've worked together in the past.

That all being said, Huggie: Big Hank wants to see you in the back room again. Something about a "call" of some discription and that rear-ends may be involved