Discovery Gaming Community
What have you done!? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: What have you done!? (/showthread.php?tid=116653)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

What have you done!? - Ironwatsas - 06-15-2014

Now, what I truly wanted to do was make a rather civil and in-depth presentation of my concerns (READ: Scream expletives until I was blue in the face) at my recent discovery of something that became apparent upon loading up the update. Normally I don't post in development or balance threads (because I really don't care for the most part), but I must point out the following.

[Image: E8HgM4M.png?2]

[Image: TfETxqZ.png?1]

YOU SCALED THEM UP. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

I certainly hope this is some form of joke or accident, but noticing the extra two turret slots on the gunboat, I doubt that is the case. They're fatter then the Rheinland gunboat now!

If this is a genuine attempt at some form of balance, I can safely say I am strongly disappointed, displeased, and disagree with the development team's decision greatly.

I must point out that ONE: Changing the scale breaks the LOD when zooming out or viewing from a distiance.

[Image: WAyhdxN.png?1]
Now you see me

[Image: NAJ6661.png?1]
Now you don't

SECOND: The Kusari caps were designed in vanilla to be tiny, scaling them up changes their window and hull coloration, turret scale, and just looks weird in general.

THIRD: It effectively breaks the general theme of Kusari having small, flimsy, but crazy maneuverable ships. This is a very clunky, heavy-handed, sudden change which I cannot condone or agree with, since it's basically going to make them crap.

I formally request clarification for this. If this was a serious change, it's blatant, heavy-handed, and frankly, stupid. If it's a Joke, I'm not laughing.

RE: What have you done!? - Omi - 06-15-2014

Oh no, the KuDessie is no longer the size of a gunboat, and the KuGB is no longer the size of a chubby SHF.

On the whole, this isn't a bad thing.

It's a lazy balance fix, sure, but look what happened to the Obstinate. Reportedly was going to be rebalanced into a BC, but then simply got hit with the shrink ray.

#justdevteamthings

Seriously, though, they were absurdly small beforehand.

RE: What have you done!? - Sarawr!? - 06-15-2014

Oh wow...so I guess this (taken in like... .85) will be even harder easier to do now?

RE: What have you done!? - Ironwatsas - 06-15-2014

Quote:Seriously, though, they were absurdly small beforehand.

True, but we mowed them down all the same back in the day. You just have to fly up their tailpipe and SNAC them or spam screamers at them and gun them down. I've happily soloed them before in a spatial (granted, that was an earlier mod version, but still though).

Thing is, they were meant to be small. Small, undergunned, and flimsy. Rather than scaling them up, breaking the proportions of their guns, and making them look like an ugly, out-of-scale, out-of-place, kitbash, what SHOULD have been done is either.

1. Nerf their armor, powercore, or manuverability in some way.
  2. Make the GB an SHF and the Destroyer a GB
  3. Add some sort of Supernova Jr. designed for use against faster, leaner
    capships.
  4. Worst case scenario, scale up just the hitbox and leave the model size the same. It'll fix the turret/detail scaling.

Making them bigger is
Quote:a lazy balance fix
and makes them look quite silly.

Kusari already has a Heavy Gunboat and a Heavy Cruiser, making their smaller ships fill that niche feels quite unnecessary.

RE: What have you done!? - Vulkhard Muller - 06-15-2014

(06-15-2014, 03:05 AM)Ironwatsas Wrote: [*]Add some sort of Supernova Jr. designed for use against faster, leaner
capships.

*cough* Mini Razor *cough* Also, May I add it is Epic looking now?

RE: What have you done!? - Geolog - 06-15-2014

I agree with Ironwatsas, ''fix'' is totally a mistake, if you can call it a ''fix''. Reverse it.

RE: What have you done!? - Core_One - 06-15-2014

(06-15-2014, 07:41 AM)Geolog Wrote: I agree with Ironwatsas, ''fix'' is totally a mistake, if you can call it a ''fix''. Reverse it.

Agreed... Scaled up, One Heavy Cruiser slot, 2 turrets firing backwards... I would rather nerf it's hull and power core than scaling it up... Smaller cruisers than Hatchet have better arcs and at least 2 or 3 Heavy Cruiser slots.

RE: What have you done!? - Jayce - 06-15-2014

Yeah, basically awful balance change. You really need a new cap dev, seriously. Blodo or whoever is doing it now isn't cutting it. Caps haven't seen an appreciable change since turret splitting, while snubs have been buffed and buffed. As it stands, caps are useless. The KuDess needed a nerf, but not something this dumb.

RE: What have you done!? - EisenSeele - 06-15-2014

(06-15-2014, 08:18 AM)Jayce Wrote: Yeah, basically awful balance change. You really need a new cap dev, seriously. Blodo or whoever is doing it now isn't cutting it. Caps haven't seen an appreciable change since turret splitting, while snubs have been buffed and buffed. As it stands, caps are useless. The KuDess needed a nerf, but not something this dumb.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=115543

Question asked, no one of note answered.

RE: What have you done!? - Strichev - 06-15-2014

The scaled up version looks horrible out of place. However I would refrain from bashing the devs, we need to accept the fact they too make mistakes and alienating them certainly won't help. They might even grow callous, never listening to anyone again.