Discovery Gaming Community
Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. (/showthread.php?tid=117289)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - AceofSpades - 06-30-2014

After an elaborate discussion resulting in a reasonable conclusion, I would like to propose this to the community and indicate public opinion with a simple vote:

Proposed Rule: All interactions with Station Vendors (specifically player-owned) must be done in within common sense Roleplay, meaning a merchant can choose what he wants to make available during a transaction. For example: on a Junker station -- a Junker might be offered to buy/sell contraband, where as an Officer or Bounty Hunter would not.

The thought behind this rule being that it dictates logical, reasonable Roleplay standards for interaction with Stations -- since a Dockmaster or Vendor would not make available/sale of such an item to a random Pilot or inspecting Officer.
Player Owned Stations have been heavily discussed regarding sieges and 'outside' interaction, but have gone completely un-addressed in regards to what you can do with 'inside' interaction.

I hope that members will recognize this as an important issue to resolve, regardless of your feelings about this proposal, as it leaves a sizable hole in Disco's RP gameplay. Therefore, please make your vote count, and if necessary discuss it constructively.
It is my hope that with the necessary public opinion/agreement, this will result in the improvement of an unwritten 'logical understanding' to an actual rule!
[ and that i can feel good about making a contribution to Disco Smile ]

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - Highland Laddie - 07-01-2014

Obviously, as part of the previous discussion, I know what the rule change requested here is, but the actual wording in the poll seems confusing to me (and I'm a native English speaker).

By your wording above, it would sound like an intelligence agent or under-cover cop could still dock on a PoB and discover contraband, although that's effectively what you're trying to prevent.

A much less ambiguous wording would be more like I suggested in other discussion: i.e. law enforcement cannot take lawful action against a PoB owner based upon cargo found on the base. They may only take action based upon cargo found in ships.

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - Jayce - 07-01-2014

I'm not going to roleplay with an NPC.

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - Scumbag - 07-01-2014

He wants to restrict the selling of commodities to factions that have access to them in role play. Stop being a smartass Jayce.

My question is: Aren't you tired of rules? Wht don't you hardcode the restriction in game mechanics? It's easy.

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - Jayce - 07-01-2014

(07-01-2014, 04:16 AM)Scumbag Wrote: He wants to restrict the selling of commodities to factions that have access to them in role play. Stop being a smartass Jayce.

My question is: Aren't you tired of rules? Wht don't you hardcode the restriction in game mechanics? It's easy.

I'm being a smartass because, as you said, we have too many rules. We need to get rid of some of them, not add more pointless ones. What will this contribute to RP overall?

@Jayce - what this rule would contribute would be giving quasi-lawful and possibly some lawful factions more RP possibilities with which to use their PoBs for things like smuggling, whereas now they are hamstrung compared to lawful npc bases that are not in any danger of reprisal.

The easiest example (if you actually can't comprehend it yourself) would be Planet Pittsburgh. Don't you find it odd that slaves are apparently sold out in the open via the commodity manager? Shouldn't there be an army of SWAT LPI teams waiting to descend on DSE and fine them into bankruptcy, if not shut them down for illegal activity?

No...that doesn't happen, and the obvious reason is that we (the players) choose to believe (via role play) that these slaves are not being sold on the open market for any and all law enforcement to see. It is obviously happening behind closed doors and in the shadows....depending on what kind of character/ID the players are using.

So....stay with me....it would ALSO follow and make logical sense for this to apply on PoBs as well....except that this hasn't been the case in the past, or even recently as USI and the Junkers have both discovered.

This rule would end that confusion and balance the gameplay between npc bases and PoBs. Otherwise, the only other solution would be for devs to disallow and remove any contraband items within Houses that are purchasable on lawful npc bases.

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - AceofSpades - 07-01-2014

(07-01-2014, 03:53 AM)Highland Laddie Wrote: Obviously, as part of the previous discussion, I know what the rule change requested here is, but the actual wording in the poll seems confusing to me (and I'm a native English speaker).

By your wording above, it would sound like an intelligence agent or under-cover cop could still dock on a PoB and discover contraband, although that's effectively what you're trying to prevent.

Cleared up that wording and provided a specific example

(07-01-2014, 04:07 AM)Jayce Wrote: I'm not going to roleplay with an NPC.

(07-01-2014, 05:07 AM)Jayce Wrote:
(07-01-2014, 04:16 AM)Scumbag Wrote: He wants to restrict the selling of commodities to factions that have access to them in role play. Stop being a smartass Jayce.

I'm being a smartass because, as you said, we have too many rules. We need to get rid of some of them, not add more pointless ones. What will this contribute to RP overall?

The only reason we need this rule is because of that smartass attitude of using context over common sense if it brings entertainment. I wish common sense laws need not apply here, but as apparent everywhere else in real life, they do.

Also to you Jayce, since you're quite prone to exploring any avenue of method that will thwart Junker activity, regardless of sensibility.
Sort of like the non-sensible circumstance that those here opposing the expansion of their own quasi-legal Roleplay are Marauders?

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - Leppy - 07-01-2014

How about if you really want to do smuggling, *you* do the roleplay instead of trying to simply make others jump through more hoops before they can roleplay their job? If you want to use your base as a smugglers' haven, dock a large transport ship there and then do transactions (trades) between the smuggler and that ship just outside the station. You know, ROLEPLAY the purchasing/selling act

RE: Proposed Rule regarding in-RP transactions. - KUBANA - 07-01-2014

voted and bumped

@Leppy - why put that extra burden on a PoB owner when it doesn't exist at all for an npc base?

The idea is to give PoB owners more time to fly around interacting instead of having to babysit the base for every ship that comes by.

As I pointed out...what is being proposed here is actually NOT a dramatic new rule to burden the community with, as some of you are suggesting. It's actually just an extension of existing RP conventions for NPC bases onto PoBs as well.