Discovery Gaming Community
Player sanctioned: Tal - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Sanctions and Warnings (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+---- Thread: Player sanctioned: Tal (/showthread.php?tid=117686)

Player sanctioned: Tal - Widow - 07-10-2014

Tal has been sanctioned for:

Comments: You were given a holiday just recently. And then you came back - which is great. But your behavior isn't. We deleted something expensive, and we really don't want you to cross our desks again.

If you post in this sanction and are not directly involved or a leader of the accused person's faction be advised that you are consenting to be subjected to the reprisal of my choice which may involve in game repercussions up to a ban. Blaming members of your immediate family, neighbours, friends, pets, and assorted Orcs, Trolls and any other legendary creatures may result in the use of Admin Right #CTE 750AE

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - Lythrilux - 07-10-2014

Posting on Tal's behalf here;
Tal wishes to see the evidence.

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - mwerte - 07-10-2014

The problematic post was removed from normal eyes. In summary though, it was the troll application to a faction. Normally, that wouldn't be worth this much of a slap, but since he just got back from a very long ban for being a troll, and went right back to his ways, it was either this or a six month ban. We have now exhausted the nicer of the two options.

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - Lythrilux - 07-10-2014

(07-10-2014, 11:13 PM)mwerte Wrote: The problematic post was removed from normal eyes. In summary though, it was the troll application to a faction. Normally, that wouldn't be worth this much of a slap, but since he just got back from a very long ban for being a troll, and went right back to his ways, it was either this or a six month ban. We have now exhausted the nicer of the two options.
I can explain.
It wasn't a troll app, me, Tal and some others were simply horsing around over some of The Core's antics over skype. We were all making jokes about the bottlenoses and the like.
And as the leader of The Core, his application didn't insult me nor made me feel any sort of emotion in the slightest. If I DID care about the supposed 'troll' apps, I would've PM'd a moderator about them. I left it unnoticed because it was a joke.

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - mwerte - 07-11-2014

Garrett is far smarter then me, so I'll let him explain;

[6:45:45 PM] Garrett Jax: RP is for RP, not flood posts

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - Lythrilux - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 12:17 AM)mwerte Wrote: Garrett is far smarter then me, so I'll let him explain;

[6:45:45 PM] Garrett Jax: RP is for RP, not flood posts
The RP of another is entirely up to perception.
Tal's character wasn't actually made up on the spot. It had been a previous character, a Freelancer. It was often seen working alongside the Bonaventure within the Omegas. I can even link you some forum RP it did. Here's another.

I can get him to further explain his RP for you if you like.

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - Garrett Jax - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 12:39 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: The RP of another is entirely up to perception.
Tal's character wasn't actually made up on the spot. It had been a previous character, a Freelancer. It was often seen working alongside the Bonaventure within the Omegas. I can even link you some forum RP it did. Here's another.

I can get him to further explain his RP for you if you like.

I clicked the links you presented on Tal's behalf. All you are succeeding in doing is convincing me we should have let Tal remain banned.

I suggest you stop speaking on his behalf. You are not helping his case, at all.

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - t0l - 09-26-2014

Right. I've been waiting for a long time to reply in this thread.

The story of "Caw Caw Condor" goes beyond my "very trollish ways", as a matter of fact it's a story based on human morals and the way we percieve the behaviors of others.

I usually scattered occasional words of english behind each random string of caws, but I appear to have not in the Core application. I understand that this pretty much ruined it and as a result I wanted to edit it, but it was deleted before I could. Thus, I PM'd Lythrilux asking him if he was mad, and he replied no.

What happened next was history.

Of course, what was supposed to happen was the man behind the bird costume would be allowed into Core, but they'd experiment on him to find out the secret of his existence, and they'd only find out that he was just a man who enjoyed wearing a bird costume and shooting things in a gunboat.

It does sound like a load of bulls***, but hear me out here. There was potential for a serious and mature story about human ethics behind the tale of Caw Caw Condor.

And at the end of the day, it's all based on interpretation of my roleplay. I can assume someone's roleplay is a joke, while the poster may have intended it to be serious. I even wrote you an AP-ruled essay back in July. It's somewhat old, but gets my point across to an extent.

Roleplay as a concept is extremely simple to grasp, one plays the role that they wish and goes on to interact with other people who are of course playing a role as well, but some identify roleplay as a deceptively simple concept with much deeper meaning that goes beyond the simplistic system that we so commonly tag the term roleplay with. One of the many deeper, important layers of the concept of roleplay is interpretation, of which I will not rush to extremes and call it the absolute most important concept in roleplay, but in this case has played the lead role in dictating and justifying the deletion of my bank character.

The way one interprets another's roleplay can have a wide range of implications for all parties involved, ranging from the outcome of the roleplay to the reactions of those involved and spectators alike afterwards. Take for example a recent post in the Contari Lance recruitment thread which, and I quote, says "My family was a cardamine field". At face value, this statement sounds ridiculous, and onlookers going by may laugh at the fact that he said that his family was actually a cardamine field. How stupid of a statement, right? But if one looks at the sentence "my family was a cardamine field" (taken out of context of course) with a different perspective aside from the typical "what a stupid" viewpoint that so many of Discovery's respected community members have concerning topics such as these, the meaning changes entirely. Instead of being meaningless dribble, the sentence (once again taken out of context) takes a rather sad turn, as perhaps the person's former family had left him to die on the streets of Malta and he had to find his own way, being "raised" by the cardamine fields in absence of any sort of guidance that a real family would bring him, shoved into a dangerous life of crime, evading pushing daisies and dodging bullets like Remo (I wont comment on the entire application). See the difference? Perception practically defines roleplay.

The next example brings me to another situation, one that strikes much closer to home, one that involves Garrett Jax.

Before I continue, let me be clear; I respect Garrett Jax and consider him to be the leading example of what an admin on the team should be like. Keep killing 'em, Bob.

Onto the point. Garrett Jax's recent roleplay, starting with the time-warping Karlotta-Freeroamer Admin story, moving onwards to the LPI Venator and eventually stopping at the AI cruiser with infinite powercore. To some people the Tales of the Admins posts, akin to the release of Goat Simulator, were a much needed lighthearted twist to the overused dark and edgy approach used by pretty much everyone in Discovery. But to others, this might be ridiculous, something completely outside the bounds of logic, and just outright heresy to the Church of Discovery Freelancer which demands that all roleplay must be extremely dark and edgy and fit perfectly into the 10 piece puzzle of roleplay. Now, consider the next example, the LPI ID'd Venator that sported a jaw-dropping 22 Heavy Mortars, fully capable of insta-killing any capital ship that dare confront it. I don't condone the actions of Outcast dreads camping Rochester and Manhattan, and I'd actually prefer if they were removed from Liberty all together. But this was a step too far. Some interpret the roleplay as a saving grace, something that would end the plague of the loldreads, but you have to take into account the other person behind the screen, the person behind the Outcast dread who thinks that he's doing good roleplay for the community, someone who grinded (probably silent powertrading, but meh) to make his glorious CAU8 Outcast dread, only to be instantly swatted down by both hoards of malcontented Discovery community members and wrecked again and again by something as completely ludicrous and out of roleplay as a Venator with 22 Heavy Mortars. Yet, I am the one who is labeled as a troll for trying to start up an interesting take on roleplay just because it's "very trollish". Is the notion of instantly destroying something that a real person worked hard(ish) for not trollish? I'd be pissed if I was that Dread, and you should be too. Finally, there's the Cruiser. I didn't see this one around much, but from what I heard it was an AI cruiser, infamous for it's garbage hitboxes, with infinite powercore. Imagine an Asco with two light mortars that can keep firing with pulses constantly supplementing them, and then slap a terrorist ID on it which is limited to non-jumpgate systems. That's what it's practically like, at least on paper. I can't comment much on it's actual effectiveness, however, since I never actually saw it much for myself, or sought out to interact with it. Of course, [AI] wasn't the most active faction then, so perhaps major damage was mitigated. Who knows, but in the end the point stands, interpretation has completely changed the intent of your roleplay from funny and lighthearted to harmful to server integrity.

Now, it's time I get on the topic at hand. Caw caw condor and the controversey surrounding it has caused some issues, namely resulting in the bip-bapping of my bank character that contained the 1 billion+ credits that I had worked up from absolutely nothing for 2 weeks. I'm not griping about it, but look at it this way. With the information and interpretations l have presented above with the cases of CL Recruitment and Garrett Jax's roleplay, we will now interpret my roleplay, namely Caw Caw Condor. At face value, the non-translated and meaningless cawing uttered by this big bird looking creature is outright blatant trolling. When the definition of trolling is actually brought up, which normally is just a statement meant to purposefully antagonize people, there's no chance that my application was trolling. There was no malicious intent in the application, or condor for that matter. At the worst, this is just off-topic, and I'm not "reverting to my very trollish ways".

As I move onto my actual roleplay as Caw Caw Condor, I ask you to keep in mind my spiel about roleplay interpretation, as this plays the key role in how the roleplay actually plays out.

Anyways, at face value the Condor seems to be a poorly crafted joke, one that makes little sense to anybody and the people who do understand it don't seem to find it funny in the slightest. Some question it's existence, and others say that I should be banned again. Of course, this is not what I intended Caw Caw Condor to be. Instead, Caw Caw Condor is much more than a simple bird looking thing. The tale of the Condor is one of a mentally deranged man who dresses up like a bird and tries desperately to believe that he is one, while his relatives and few friends become more and more distressed at his condition. An ion storm during a confrontation with Bonaventure and the BAF teleported him to the far Omicrons, where he sent a signal from his trashed Gunship to the closest human civilization, the BHG Core. From this point on, the Core would take Condor under their wing, no pun intended, and try to con him into believing that they were here to help him. Having manipulated Condor to a point where he was comfortable, the Core would then try to experiment on Condor, believing that he is some part of an LSF experiment, and then find out that he was only a man in a bird costume, teaching a lesson about deception and human morals in the meanwhile.

I know it sounds dumb and looks like a 32 oz cup of cow excrement, of which it really does, but there is much more to Condor than just a bad trolling attempt. There's satire on the nature of Discovery roleplay, a lesson on ethics and morals, and above all shows the plight of the weird, who often go ignored in life and in Discovery, overlooked for the perfect cookie cutter character, the 10 year old anime character who's a hardened, ruthless Royal Navy officer, the high profile leader of a military faction who escaped from an LSF lab, and our perceptions of what is good roleplay.

Of course, there's the issue of opinion. Without a doubt, people have differing opinions on objects. It's a fact of life that is inescapable. But, we can bypass this issue by learning of the other person's view on the matter before we come to a conclusion. This is true here as well, because it's unfair to label something as trolling without knowing the true intentions behind it. Wise words from a decent man have said that what you don't know may hurt you. Judges have to hear both sides of the story before making a conclusion. Without it, they become prejudiced or biased.

In the end, do I want my bank back? Sure I would, but that's not the point of this arguement. This piece was produced as a lesson to show that our interpretations of a roleplay greatly switch our outlook of it, for better or worse, and that someone else's perception of a roleplay can be profoundly different from another's, and can differ extremely from the intended point of the story, and of course tells that it's not fair to judge until you've heard the true intended meaning from the person who wrote it. But at the end of the day, the point still stands. Roleplay is largely a matter of interpretation and that can lead to some consequences, but we have to move on in spite of these consequences and act fairly based on other people's perceptions of the same text.

Thank you, good night.

RE: Player sanctioned: Tal - mwerte - 09-26-2014

fascinating