Discovery Gaming Community
requesting full activity tracker. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: requesting full activity tracker. (/showthread.php?tid=118480)

Pages: 1 2

requesting full activity tracker. - 7AlphaOne1 - 07-28-2014

ye.

instead of just official factions, it should track every damn ship in the server. probably complimented by a search feature.

reason is, well, a person would have fun tracking his indies, unofficials could track their logged time etc.

please provide constructive feedback.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - Corile - 07-28-2014

Yes, +1.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - Siren Stone - 07-28-2014

While this may be a good idea in theory, actually creating said "Full Activity Tracker" would lead to 200 pages of random ships, most of which are either already in factions, or not even used anymore. I'll give you a bit of an Idea of a weeks projected ship creations:

At any given time, there are at least 15-20 players online. of those players, no doubt at least 4 of them are on relatively new ships. New players to the game start out trying to figure things out in doing so, they find cool ships they want but are not willing to give up their other cool ships they like, therefore new ships are made. A Factions activity that for a while was near dormant suddenly receives a kick in the pants and new ships are made do to the renewed interest of the faction players. A player joins a new faction and thus needs to make a new ship for his / her character, therefore yet another ship is ready for the tracker.

All in all, a tracker that take count of and logs every ship in the game, be it 1 day old, 1 week old, or 5 months 29 days old will be on this tracker somewhere. The tracker would be a complete mess, hard to search through, and near impossible to keep track of. Therefore I vote against it for the sake of the admins sanity.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - 7AlphaOne1 - 07-29-2014

(07-28-2014, 08:19 PM)Siren Stone Wrote:
While this may be a good idea in theory, actually creating said "Full Activity Tracker" would lead to 200 pages of random ships, most of which are either already in factions, or not even used anymore. I'll give you a bit of an Idea of a weeks projected ship creations:

At any given time, there are at least 15-20 players online. of those players, no doubt at least 4 of them are on relatively new ships. New players to the game start out trying to figure things out in doing so, they find cool ships they want but are not willing to give up their other cool ships they like, therefore new ships are made. A Factions activity that for a while was near dormant suddenly receives a kick in the pants and new ships are made do to the renewed interest of the faction players. A player joins a new faction and thus needs to make a new ship for his / her character, therefore yet another ship is ready for the tracker.

All in all, a tracker that take count of and logs every ship in the game, be it 1 day old, 1 week old, or 5 months 29 days old will be on this tracker somewhere. The tracker would be a complete mess, hard to search through, and near impossible to keep track of. Therefore I vote against it for the sake of the admins sanity.

I understand this. my idea was, instead of a million pages of characters, a search box. searching for a particular character, cant exactly take too much data. other than that, a protected tag search.

this would simplify it for the players as well as admins(hopefully).

of course, any admin/dev/mod feedback would be welcome and appreciated.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - larzac - 07-29-2014

Well, do you think it would be possible to do it only of official and unofficial faction? in fact, every ship who has a tag.

(07-29-2014, 09:53 AM)larzac Wrote: Well, do you think it would be possible to do it only of official and unofficial faction? in fact, every ship who has a tag.

I dont quite get you.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - larzac - 07-29-2014

Well, most of groups (official or not ) have a tag with a password, only tagged ships could be in the list.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - Sath - 07-29-2014

Tags are not easy to spot out, since anyone can create a tag of his own. Just to avoid that hassle of finding each and every tags (it will be quite obvious that some tags are just flown by individuals and is not that of any unofficial faction), it would be better to have a universal tracker.

I don't know if this is feasible at all, but if it is, then why not give it a try?

(07-29-2014, 03:28 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: Tags are not easy to spot out, since anyone can create a tag of his own. Just to avoid that hassle of finding each and every tags (it will be quite obvious that some tags are just flown by individuals and is not that of any unofficial faction), it would be better to have a universal tracker.

I don't know if this is feasible at all, but if it is, then why not give it a try?
It is quite feasable. according to some old players anyways. it used to be like that, they say.

RE: requesting full activity tracker. - WesternPeregrine - 07-29-2014

(07-29-2014, 03:28 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: Tags are not easy to spot out, since anyone can create a tag of his own. Just to avoid that hassle of finding each and every tags (it will be quite obvious that some tags are just flown by individuals and is not that of any unofficial faction), it would be better to have a universal tracker.

I consider the tag tracker to be more interesting, accounting for official and unofficial factions, small groups, and indies with a common identity (LNS tagged ships and such).

I realize that some common tags might not be registered on the server lists (LNS being open and such, not identified).

To prevent the tracked from showing every and any tag created since inception, maybe put a filter on the tracker page to hide tags with less than 5 seconds or some similar minimum activity time in the last 30 days or so, like the current faction tracker has.