Discovery Gaming Community
Emoticon role play question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Emoticon role play question (/showthread.php?tid=118507)

Pages: 1 2

Emoticon role play question - Skyevallen - 07-28-2014

Why is it that you cannot express yourself in rp with an emoticon? I was rping like I usually do in other games using emoticons to convey the emotion in my character and some ppl were telling me that it's against the rules?

I understand now, No emoticons in Role play...

What am I missing though? It ruined my mood and I lost some of the fun I was having, and it made me angry to think my text could be controlled at that level.

Questions are:
I would like to know why that rule is important, and why it was made? And what does that prevent people from doing that's detrimental to the role play?

I think = ) looks better then **smiles*... It seems a pointless thing to argue over I understand, but it's how I play and it is interfering with how I usually play.

RE: Emoticon role play question - Apollon - 07-28-2014

iRP there's a somekind of a sickness called "Lawl's Syndrome" and It's diagnosed to those who use emoticons, basically lolwuts, But eventually most people will bypass this stage.

afaik, It was removed because it added an atmosphere of lolwutness and noobieness, In-game RP is like writing a story, RP in general is like writing a story, You don't really use "Smile, xD" in story, instead you describe your character's emotions and feelings using words like *smiles* *sighs* *laughs* etc.

However you may use whatever you want of emoticons in ooRP, within the scope of the rules of course.

I hope you get what I mean.

RE: Emoticon role play question - Mímir - 07-28-2014

In Eve Online roleplay, they take the pragmatic approach: Since all communication between ships is supposed to be text, emoticons are accepted within roleplay as evolved ways of expressing simple emotions. I think that works out great. In Disco, we're supposedly talking to one another, so it wouldn't work.

RE: Emoticon role play question - Skyevallen - 07-29-2014

I read Liz Andersons post on "Lawls Syndrome" and it's a metaphor diagnosing the symptoms of someone who doesn't know how to role play at all. That "Lawls Syndrome" thing is funny for RP, but rather insulting at first... Especially if you don't really understand the nature of it. (If you look it up in google, Discovery's community basically invented it!) **Not sure if that's fair considering Liz only has those two posts on the whole board and hasn't returned in years, but it is what it is.

Katana your post about lawls syndrome did not help until I got to the part where you mentioned that our gameplay is like writing a story. That makes sense but we're not literally writing a story. We're communicating to each other in-game and forming the story thru our actions, not writing it out literally. We only do that in the forums. So you still leave me wondering...

Mimir I get that but, if wat you're saying is true and we are that deep in role play, then we should not be allowed to convey physical expressions at all, unless we're at the correct distance and facing each other. *smiles* or : ) are the same things and realistically you could not see a pilots expression in space. *laughing* or *cough* fit better.

I will uphold the rules and not express my physical expressions in space via text at all even though I believe it's taking Role play too far. I welcome anyone who thinks they can convince me otherwise...

And don't get me wrong, I think these strict RP rules are great, but I just need to throw my two cents in, if for the least maybe to better a new players introduction to the RPing aspect of the mod. I just care that much. lol

RE: Emoticon role play question - Remnant - 07-29-2014

Think of it this way. If you are sitting in a ship cockpit with a voice communications (and video) system in front of you, a : ) symbol wouldn't mean much.

*Smirks, waving his hand slightly in front of his face* -- This is instead a little more detailed on what you would actually 'see' if you were looking at someone elses character. The more detail you can put into motions, the better.

Ok thanks you so much! I needed that, I failed to remember the Video Comm! I completely understand and while I still like emoticons I wont use any. It's mainly an issue with new players like myself obviously and I'm not trying to champion a cause or anything but I can see why some players would turn away. Who needs those easily distracted players anyways though huh?

It makes it more interesting to type out *Smirks, waving his hand slightly in front of his face* too I guess.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand.

RE: Emoticon role play question - Marburg - 07-29-2014

also, allow me to mention that the forums & the server are meant to work in tandem with one another, so actually, you will find that there are people who do write very detailed stories to support their RP on the server.

In a nutshell, a fully fleshed out character can't really be fully fleshed out if they only exist in the cockpit of a ship...the forums give the opportunity to RP with other characters outside of that limitation

The option to use that resource is there if you wanna take advantage of it

RE: Emoticon role play question - Remnant - 07-29-2014

Ah, it seems you get the gist of it. Of course! Glad you could figure things out.

(07-29-2014, 12:10 AM)Skyevallen Wrote: We're communicating to each other in-game and forming the story thru our actions, not writing it out literally. We only do that in the forums.

Oh Marbug thanks for the invitation, I get that aspect of Discovery. I used to get involved with RP on older Freelancer servers much the same way you guys do here with the continuous story writing.

It's starting to grow on me again, and if I find the time I might join in the fun in that respect. I kind of miss it the more I think about it.

BTW: I'll be sure and really let the rules sink in first, I don't want to be one of those pilots infected with "Lawl's Syndrome ". haha

RE: Emoticon role play question - Blanket - 07-29-2014

*He tak-tak-tak's on his ship's console, and broadcasts a message to all ships in range. The message simply reads on their display screens as "Smile"*

Perfectly IRP. I even do it on my Ageira now and then!