Discovery Gaming Community
Which would've been better? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Which would've been better? (/showthread.php?tid=120968)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Which would've been better? - 7AlphaOne1 - 09-23-2014

I am gonna use caps.

GALLIA GUD FUR POWURTRADURZ.!BUYZ PACKYDUREM QND MAKEZ MONIES! ALL COEM PLX!

RE: Which would've been better? - Jihadjoe - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 10:16 AM)Trogdor Wrote: Gallia has never been, and never will be, the popular antagonist it needs to be, because of one simple fact that I am going to try very hard not to offend anyone with.

Few amongst our community are willing to play space-France.

It doesn't matter how good the ships are, or how nice the systems look, or how well the lore is written. I don't want to be a huge debbie downer, or be overly critical, or come across as some kind of bigot. But I wonder if we'd be in a much better and healthier state right now if the dev team hadn't been trying to shove frogs down our throat (Pun intended).
We've shifted the whole mod's focus towards a conflict between Bretonia (a low-pop house compared to Lib+Rheinland) and Gallia (a house hardly anyone is interested in playing). In the process, we destroyed what little activity Kusari had. Now we've thrown a monkey wrench into what was the server's primary conflict: the Liberty-Rheinland War, to drag yet another party into this mess.

I think we would have been much better off coming up with a completely new enemy, since most of the nations our English-speaking community favors are already represented ingame. Yes, even the Sol Coalition would have been a better choice.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with anything I said here. I'm not hating on anyone, and I appreciate the large amount of work the dev team does, I just think it's being squandered trying to make Gallia palatable.

I cannot explain the number of levels on which I disagree.

RE: Which would've been better? - Fluffyball - 09-23-2014

I like Gallia, but they have way too many systems that are, in fact, empty.

The problem is that, lorewise, Gallia is said to be not even (astronomically) in Sirius, so why not to revert back a bit and keep only handful of systems "in Sirius". Just look at the maps, where Gallia had only, like, 4-5 systems. Five systems would be enough to keep Gallia out there... Why? Eh, because GRN is more concentrated onto fighting within Bretonia.

After all, there was a big Gallic supergiant star (I wrote that some time ago) that was likely close to go into supernova. It was even bigger than one star in omegas, so explosion would have a very drastic consequences...

RE: Which would've been better? - pillow - 09-23-2014

LNS are the biggest invasion of Disco. YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT!

The Nomads should have been stronger invaders in Sirius. I have to side with the Gauls here.
Even if the LNS is far more dangerous. Even to the house they come out of. 8|

RE: Which would've been better? - Corile - 09-23-2014

Why isn't Gallia's flag white, white and white?
It makes no sense.

RE: Which would've been better? - Fluffyball - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 03:11 PM)Protégé Wrote: Why isn't Gallia's flag white, white and white?
It makes no sense.

Jokes aside, Napoleon was very close to conquer Europe. He was, in fact, Adolph Hitler of the 19th C.

But failed.
Same with Germans.
And Polish were the only ones who kicked Russian butts and held Moscow for two years. Too bad we treat Cosssacs very bad IMO, we would become an Empire, if we haven't thrown them away... :|

RE: Which would've been better? - pillow - 09-23-2014

This is flood.
Give me some laughs.
plz

8|

RE: Which would've been better? - Highland Laddie - 09-23-2014

Quote: Few amongst our community are willing to play space-France.

The nationality doesn't have anything to do with it for me. It's not like every European country needs representation in the game. Otherwise, you'd think all the Asian players would be flocking to play Kusari (space Japan) or Coaltion (which would include space China).

For me, the biggest impediment to Gallia is its relative remote location (you have to be really intentional to go there), its relative LARGE size if you actually wanted to get anywhere, its mostly closed economy, and the lack of good reasons to attract non-Gallic factions into the region.

A smaller Gallia with more attractive prices for Sirius-based goods and vice-versa would do a lot to bring more activity to the area.

Quote:Now we've thrown a monkey wrench into what was the server's primary conflict: the Liberty-Rheinland War, to drag yet another party into this mess.

In my opinion, I think the Bretonia-Kusari war in 4.85 was as much primary a conflict as the Liberty-Rheinland war, save for the fact that Liberty has always been more populous on account of new players starting there. What you ARE correct about there is that the devs essentially replaced Kusari with Gallia, which killed off Kusari.

RE: Which would've been better? - Cælumaresh - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 10:22 AM)Sabru Wrote:
(09-23-2014, 10:18 AM)Snake Wrote:
(09-23-2014, 10:16 AM)Trogdor Wrote: Gallia has never been, and never will be, the popular antagonist it needs to be, because of one simple fact that I am going to try very hard not to offend anyone with.

Few amongst our community are willing to play space-France.

It doesn't matter how good the ships are, or how nice the systems look, or how well the lore is written. I don't want to be a huge debbie downer, or be overly critical, or come across as some kind of bigot. But I wonder if we'd be in a much better and healthier state right now if the dev team hadn't been trying to shove frogs down our throat (Pun intended).
We've shifted the whole mod's focus towards a conflict between Bretonia (a low-pop house compared to Lib+Rheinland) and Gallia (a house hardly anyone is interested in playing). In the process, we destroyed what little activity Kusari had. Now we've thrown a monkey wrench into what was the server's primary conflict: the Liberty-Rheinland War, to drag yet another party into this mess.

I think we would have been much better off coming up with a completely new enemy, since most of the nations our English-speaking community favors are already represented ingame. Yes, even the Sol Coalition would have been a better choice.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with anything I said here. I'm not hating on anyone, and I appreciate the large amount of work the dev team does, I just think it's being squandered trying to make Gallia palatable.

+1 Dude couldn't put it better Tongue

+2 Trog hit the nail on the head.

+3 How can one house have as much caps and stuff as all the other sirian houses combined?

RE: Which would've been better? - SnakeLancerHaven - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 04:50 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote:
Quote:Now we've thrown a monkey wrench into what was the server's primary conflict: the Liberty-Rheinland War, to drag yet another party into this mess.

In my opinion, I think the Bretonia-Kusari war in 4.85 was as much primary a conflict as the Liberty-Rheinland war, save for the fact that Liberty has always been more populous on account of new players starting there. What you ARE correct about there is that the devs essentially replaced Kusari with Gallia, which killed off Kusari.

Well, I'm sure the community would go for a Kusari - Bretonia war instead of Gallia vs Sirius. Just for that I'd make BAF or KNF chars, like realy. I liked the Kusari vs Bretonia wars.