Discovery Gaming Community
Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? (/showthread.php?tid=121591)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Mímir - 10-11-2014

Hey guys!

I've been thinking a bit, and after a dozen or so encounters with K'hara and associates in House space, I think I've come to the conclusion that unlimited cloaks are a bad idea.

Here's why: Every single encounter has been a nomad "mind-controlling" my character and at times several other characters, and we've played along like puppets knowing full well that some dude is sitting next to us cloaked, watching events unfold.

Sure enough, it's funny the first time, but after a while it becomes quite uninteresting. Whenever it's happened lately, I've just rp'ed to be trained in anti-nomad trickery because I simply couldn't be bothered playing out the same scenario over and over.

Moreover, when large numbers of infinite cloakers gather, it is hard to motivate anyone to log to go interact with them, as they'll just be cloaked up anyways. Waste of time, so people just ignore instead.

So I do think the infini-cloak leads to encounters that are totally similar in nature in the best case, and it leads to less encounters in the worst case.

How about re-adjusting the infinite cloaks and just make them very efficient? Wouldn't that be more conducive to roleplay and encounters? Opinions?

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Remnant - 10-11-2014

I've specifically told the members of the K'Hara that they shouldn't do that. If they want to RP, they should be uncloaked. Instead of suggesting that the game mechanics are changed, throw me a private message instead about it.

I'll have a word with people RPing while cloaked and see if we can get that changed

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Mímir - 10-11-2014

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it now and again. I don't think it's "poor form" or "bad rp". It's fun losing control of your character, I'd just like it more if I knew that at some point time would be up, the illusion broken and I could pew the nomad. There'd be an incentive for me to play along Big Grin Or if a search party scans down a system, eventually they'll be successful in locating the nomads if they do their job right, rather than search forever in vain.

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - aerelm - 10-11-2014

This is already done for the next update. Only the official K'hara and Wild will be keeping their infinite cloaks.

(I haven't posted in the dev log about it yet because the final numbers for the nom cloak ammos are still not decided)

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - karl - 10-11-2014

cool.

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Ponge - 10-11-2014

(10-11-2014, 01:33 AM)aerelm Wrote: This is already done for the next update. Only the official K'hara and Wild will be keeping their infinite cloaks.

(I haven't posted in the dev log about it yet because the final numbers for the nom cloak ammos are still not decided)

How about giving the infinite cloak also to the Morph/Trial ID? People who use that usually are not playing nomads to shoot things up in the Omicrons, but to join K'Hara and learn nomad RP from them. This would give them the opportunity to move around in their fragile LF ship with the officials wherever they go, and join their RP.

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Sciamach - 10-11-2014

From what I understand, the nom trial ID is either getting changed in some way, or is being removed, given that the K'Hara recruitment process has changed

S'just what I've heard

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Connor - 10-11-2014

(10-11-2014, 01:21 AM)Moveit56 Wrote: I've specifically told the members of the K'Hara that they shouldn't do that. If they want to RP, they should be uncloaked. Instead of suggesting that the game mechanics are changed, throw me a private message instead about it.

I'll have a word with people RPing while cloaked and see if we can get that changed

Members of Division 9 and Das Wilde are the same. I honestly see that these infinite cloaks should be used by only official faction as one of their perks rather than letting Indis use and abuse it. I mean I've been attcked by a nomad who decloaked and insta'd me whilst I was typing. It wasn't fun.

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Sath - 10-11-2014

(10-11-2014, 01:33 AM)aerelm Wrote: This is already done for the next update. Only the official K'hara and Wild will be keeping their infinite cloaks.

The nomads would be better if they were a closed faction. I doubt any indy would play a nomad, without cloaks, albeit in the Omicrons only. Tongue

RE: Unlimited cloaks - bad for rp? - Fluffyball - 10-11-2014

^ I believe keeping infinite cloak to Nomad and Nomad-oriented/infested factions is okay. Why? Well, Nomads are more advanced than humans yet they are have biological not metal-and-crew vessels. I wouldn't be suprised if cloak tech used by Rheinland Military (in vanillia) was partially based onto the Nomad technology.