Discovery Gaming Community
After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) (/showthread.php?tid=122105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - nOmnomnOm - 10-23-2014

Let me just jump straight into an example since I don't know how to exactly explain this accurately. And also lets us an example we all know.

The location is Manhattan.
Here comes along a smuggler carrying a load of artifacts. He is almost at his destination when he sees an LPI/LN intercept him. Hes about... 15k away and is tight on cash so he would rather give it a go and try to get his money's worth.

And so the braze smuggler braves the odds and books it to the station with the siren blaring in the background of the cop chasing after him and yelling to halt and telling him his rights and arrest rant blah blah.

The smuggler as he gets closes sees there are two rogues on the horizon and yells for help. The rouges are quick to respond and the the smuggler docks safely. There is a fight and the rouges manage to pop the cop that witnessed the crime scene that took place. The cop in rp is in pieces.

SO the question then is: Is the player of the LPI cop (lets assume official faction) still allowed to FR5 the smuggler?

OR : Because the cop has been shot down there is therefor in RP no trace of evidence left and THEREFOR the cop can't do bleep about it cuz his ship poped with the evidence.

Your thoughts?

PS NO this did not happened to me and is purely fictional what i described.

Edit: BASICALLY what i am asking is like... can you still RP something that happened in game AFTER YOU GOT SHOT DOWN if your RP is based on evidence that you took after you got shot down.

AKA destroying any evidence of what happened inRP.

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - WesternPeregrine - 10-23-2014

Did the cop survived ?
Then he can describe the incident to the agency, crosscheck with the docking registry, and prosecute the offender.

Does this make sense?

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - nOmnomnOm - 10-23-2014

(10-23-2014, 11:35 PM)WPeregrine Wrote: Did the cop survived ?
Then he can describe the incident to the agency, crosscheck with the docking registry, and prosecute the offender.

Does this make sense?

because this is a game where no one apparently dies unless the owner of the character allows it, then that would be an excuse.

but this makes no sense, really, if you think about it:

"crosschecking the docking registry" would only mean that the smuggler docked. Nothing to indicate what he had on the ship. all that info is gone that i am suggesting inRP.

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - Chrystoph - 10-23-2014

(10-23-2014, 11:29 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Edit: BASICALLY what i am asking is like... can you still RP something that happened in game AFTER YOU GOT SHOT DOWN if your RP is based on evidence that you took after you got shot down.

My $.02

After you got shot down, no.

Anything that occurred before, it is not unreasonable to presume that you uploaded when there is a possible recipient nearby (the planet, an appropriately factioned base, an NPC ship, trade lanes within scanner distance).

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - nOmnomnOm - 10-23-2014

(10-23-2014, 11:41 PM)Chrystoph Wrote:
(10-23-2014, 11:29 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Edit: BASICALLY what i am asking is like... can you still RP something that happened in game AFTER YOU GOT SHOT DOWN if your RP is based on evidence that you took after you got shot down.

My $.02

After you got shot down, no.

Anything that occurred before, it is not unreasonable to presume that you uploaded when there is a possible recipient nearby (the planet, an appropriately factioned base, an NPC ship, trade lanes within scanner distance).

So basically the excuse is that it doesn't matter if you died or not, you just in the middle of a fight and chasing magically uploaded all the evidence to some random database ?

Ok so we are going this say just making stuff up -.-

I raise you that statement and say that magically a hacker hacked into that that database and now the evidence is magically gone.

:|

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - WesternPeregrine - 10-23-2014

Blackbox retrieved by the station that is standing there 5 km away, probably the same one that witnessed the comms of the smuggler asking the rogues for help (unless pm). Also, it's near Manhattan. I should expect there is at least a central actively in touch with agents/officers in the field.

An old example of mine of a report of the faction (KNF) picking up records of a lost patrol, after it lost contact with it. (May 24th incident)

Of course, I understand the issue here is not that whether the encounter can be reported or not, but if the report should have the same consequences depending on the outcome of the event. In my view, it's up to the destroyed party to decide whether or not they lost the intel or not, and it's not something the other party can demand, especially since they weren't the ones doing the destruction and are seen committing other infractions.

So basically what you are proposing is that there is no balance in the system.
The LPI only has to see a crime and GG that is it whether he dies or not he can punish no problem. Nothing matters if he dies in game.

BUT

The smuggler has to do ALL the work and even if he survives and docks and kills the cop it is still not enough.
Oh no... to not get FR5ed you have to actually not interact with anyone in the game. Then and only then will you succeed.

there is no balance in this.

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - WesternPeregrine - 10-24-2014

This question never drawn up to me before, and seeing the uncertainty of the situation you presented, I cannot say this opinion of mine is strong enough to be considered as a acceptable answer to the problem.

Disregarding my previous assumption, do you believe that the destroyed party has the Duty to discard the evidence he had gathered of the crime? Or that the suspect has the (oorp) Right to demand such action, after the destruction of the pursuer is assured?

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - nOmnomnOm - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 12:10 AM)WPeregrine Wrote: This question never drawn up to me before, and seeing the uncertainty of the situation you presented, I cannot say this opinion of mine is strong enough to be considered as a acceptable answer to the problem.

Disregarding my previous assumption, do you believe that the destroyed party has the Duty to discard the evidence he had gathered of the crime? Or that the suspect has the (oorp) Right to demand such action, after the destruction of the pursuer is assured?

Well my question is basically that... but worded differently.
Basically: If you die then can you still FR5 or something similar

and to me that action is just doing silly revenge and not accepting that you lost that encounter.

RE: After in-game RP: Form-work RP Etiquette and what makes sense (or something) - Laura C. - 10-24-2014

First, the ship usually doesn´t explode to tiny pieces. It is usually just too damaged so the pilot use escape pod. So if this would be some pen and paper RPG game, gamemaster would say "roll if your hard drive with photos and scans survived and was retrieved or not".
We don´t have gamemasters here. So it´s up to the cop to decide. Also don´t forget that pilot usually survives inRP (that´s why we have escape pods) and he has memory. So even if he lose evidence from ship, there still can be investigation where police will bring indirect evidence like if the ship was in the area, if it used trade lanes and was maybe scanned by lane rings scanners with contraband, where it landed on the planet and so on...

So I don´t think you can use simple "you die, you lose".

Second - if the smuggler docked before the cop´s ship was destroyed, then yes, he can be punished including FR5 (inRP revoking docking rights).

It´s very simple - if you are smuggler with contraband and cop is in scanner range, better don´t dock on bases/planets under control of lawful factions. You are asking for sanction with this, especially when cop says magical words "Your docking rights are revoked" as in that moment he informed traffic control centre about criminal which is not allowed to dock. So if you want to be sure you won´t be FR5ed, kill the cop BEFORE you dock.

Quote:and to me that action is just doing silly revenge and not accepting that you lost that encounter.
Well, that may be valid opinion. But to be honest there is so much worse crimes against good RP and etiquette etc.