Discovery Gaming Community
How to RP planetside war? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How to RP planetside war? (/showthread.php?tid=123483)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to RP planetside war? - Pavel - 12-08-2014

Planet-side events such as rebellions, riots, or outright regular war, happen inRP all the time, especially now. Presenting it in playable form is more than problematic though, as we are space-based shooter.

I think about some sort of forum-based board game, with units being produced/delivered, with terrain control and development. Supplies and reinforcements delivered from other planets would play a major role, so forum-based game could be affected by actual in-game activity.

This of course is just a thought, and I'd appreaciate any feedback and suggestions from community what rules such board game should have, how to set up its mechanics and gameplay balance, and so on.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - ProwlerPC - 12-08-2014

Through collaboration with faction associated with the planet. A mutual consent less it be accused of powergaming. And to toss in a bit of icing, ultimately the planet falls under Dev jurisdiction if it's a public planet and so there will be some sales pitches of the RP to the devs as well. I can't recall a planetary war at the very moment but I've seen plenty of collaborative player RP make it in with the devs over the years.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - sindroms - 12-08-2014

Duke it out in another game which offers such a battle. Be it RTS, FPS or other. Use results to make the decision.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Pavel - 12-08-2014

@ Prowler

Ofc, but it's not thought as replacement for forum stories; it'd be something more interactive, with in-game activity, supplies delivery and interception, playing key role.

@ Spazzy

Well, RPing disco battles in other games is some option...

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Highland Laddie - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 03:09 PM)ProwlerPC Wrote: Through collaboration with faction associated with the planet. A mutual consent less it be accused of powergaming. And to toss in a bit of icing, ultimately the planet falls under Dev jurisdiction if it's a public planet and so there will be some sales pitches of the RP to the devs as well. I can't recall a planetary war at the very moment but I've seen plenty of collaborative player RP make it in with the devs over the years.

+1 to this.

To my knowledge, Leeds is the only planet with major combat taking place planet-side, but it would be cool if part of the outcome is dependent upon weapon/supply deliveries to either side.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Haste - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 03:14 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote: Leeds ... it would be cool if part of the outcome is dependent upon weapon/supply deliveries to either side.

Two issues here, though:

1. The activity of Gallia and Bretonia as houses is not representative of their 'activity' lore-wise.
  2. To make this issue more pronounced, the Bretonian side has a far larger pool of factions to draw from as allies of the house -> more factions = more activity = more supplies.

So essentially, Bretonia is practically guaranteed to 'win' this one simply because of the options available to them: the Colonial Movers, Libertonian corporations, Bretonian corporations. All of which are probably more active than Gallia's own corporations added up. In addition, corporate players in particular seem drawn to the side of the 'good guys' moreso than they are drawn to the 'bad guys'. This makes the event more of a Bretonian exclusive: Gallia's playerbase has no reason to cooperate as it is predestined to fail, so it's really just an exercise in how many 'supplies' Bretonian players can be arsed to move.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - KaiserDietz - 12-08-2014

I'd be inclined to agree with Haste on this one, for something like this to work, the conflict would need to be constructively sequestered from other factions. Bretonia releases a message stating that Leeds airspace is safe only for landing by Armed Forces or Merchant Navy freighters. Gallia would release a similar statement. This way only freighter could be counted toward the supply goal.

As far as other games being a surrogate, I could see using a game like Red Alert 3, or something of that ilk. A lottery system, or maybe volunteer, has a random person on one side face off against a random of the other to determine victory. Each planet has a few continents to capture. Each continent can be capture in a few battles except for the capital continent which will take more. Supplies delivered to the planet can determine starting bonuses of some type.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Gypsie Skripto - 12-08-2014

I'd use another game for it. Like Battlefront 2 or even Halo.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Haste - 12-08-2014

Terran versus Terran in StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. I mean, the name clearly suggests a link to the Freelancer universe!

(:

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Fluffyball - 12-08-2014

You are all forgetting that Gallia has two (rather powerful) allies in fact, who are Rheinland and Kusari. Whilst they are not taking part in the warfare, they can give them assets.

What about making Rheinland and Kusari stuff 90% for GRN? I'd love on the other hand to see Valkiries in the GRN color pattern.