Discovery Gaming Community
"Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Newcomer's Section (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. (/showthread.php?tid=123675)

"Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - Alley - 12-14-2014

[Image: Hfd6k8e.png]

Hello there,

With the new generations of GPUs, in some circumstances you will be unable to launch the game and meet the above message.

First of all, try launching the game in windowed mode (ex: with Discovery Launchpad), in some conditions, this will allow you to start the game but you might potentially be unable to go in fullscreen mode. If this doesn't work or doesn't let you play in fullscreen mode, we've found a small solution today which is to use a different version of the ENBSeries (also known as bloom mod) that doesn't have the bloom stuff included but renders the game as if it was running under DirectX9. This solution worked for the user I helped today.

Download the following file and drop it in your Freelancer.exe folder (ex: C:\Games\Discovery\EXE\) : http://www.discoverygc.com/files/d3d8.dll
If you had the bloom mod installed, it will ask you if you want to replace it. Either rename the bloom mod's d3d8.dll or simply overwrite it directly.

Let us know if this worked for you or not.

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - nOmnomnOm - 12-14-2014

I also just restart on the rare chance that that message pops up and it fixes itself for me.

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - FynnMcScrap - 01-28-2015

(12-14-2014, 02:20 AM)Alley Wrote:

Hello there,

With the new generations of GPUs, in some circumstances you will be unable to launch the game and meet the above message.

First of all, try launching the game in windowed mode (ex: with Discovery Launchpad), in some conditions, this will allow you to start the game but you might potentially be unable to go in fullscreen mode. If this doesn't work or doesn't let you play in fullscreen mode, we've found a small solution today which is to use a different version of the ENBSeries (also known as bloom mod) that doesn't have the bloom stuff included but renders the game as if it was running under DirectX9. This solution worked for the user I helped today.

Download the following file and drop it in your Freelancer.exe folder (ex: C:\Games\Discovery\EXE\) : http://www.discoverygc.com/files/d3d8.dll
If you had the bloom mod installed, it will ask you if you want to replace it. Either rename the bloom mod's d3d8.dll or simply overwrite it directly.

PLS :
The tip is good, but please write clearly that you have to add the new dll file to the DISCO MOD 4.88 EXE , and not to the Vanilla EXE

Nearly cost me my last nerves, but I now managed to log in , chipset seems to be accepting the new mod now

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - HuggieSunrise - 02-23-2015

I just built a new pc with a 980. its helped a little but for long periods of time theres no problems then ill crash like 4 times (driver blinkout) been fiddling with all sorts of program settings for it. No dice. or settling the crashes..

Why cant these jerks release the source code like volition did with FS2? dang

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - R.I.P. - 02-23-2015

I had this issue with my old PC when my add on video card died, and had to resort to the onboard Intel junk, easiest soulution i have is when installing the mod do not click the Bloom effects and install it without them completely.

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - Tachyon - 04-28-2015

Launching a window of FL and Fraps at the same time causes that error, aswell.

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - Mickk - 06-09-2015

Got this exact error when I last updated.

However, I have also seen this with vanilla FL and did exactly the same thing.... I just restarted the game and carried on as per usual.

Why this works for me I have no idea, it just does.

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - Epo - 06-09-2015

I've got this error with normal FL with GeForce 7300GT. Disco is running withno this error, however both games are very often freezing and pc's restart is needed. So it makes FL impossible to play

RE: "Freelancer could not find a video card" crash - Read this. - InfinityCircuit - 08-21-2015

I had this error with version 4.88.1, but the game played the first time. When I closed the game and tried again, it wouldn't load. Strange. I restarted, nothing.

I tried this, same error. No dice.

I tried this new DLL after windowed mode didnt work, and it just stops working when I try to start the game now. So...I'm going to just reinstall. Clean install may help.