Discovery Gaming Community
Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days (/showthread.php?tid=123705)

Pages: 1 2 3

Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - sindroms - 12-15-2014

Sup.

Before you read on, please note that whatever seemingly horrible things I am about to say or imply, Disco wouldn't be alive without the dedication and effort put into the people who have done so up until now, regardless of their motives. That is something to keep in mind.

I think it is safe to say that the overall progression of the mod as it is has slowed over the last few years. This has nothing to do with the server or forum activity, though I think we could link these things together in reverse. You know how kickstarters tend to die, when the dev team slows down? This is pretty much the same thing that is happening with Disco right now.

We seem to have lost some momentum we gained during the early 2010s, when we had a huge influx of new players, since 4,85 was an update nobody really was hoping for anymore and it dropped a whole bunch of new goodies on our heads which we could use ingame. But not all of them were pvp orientated.

Most if not all of the recent updates were mostly balance work, which, don't get me wrong- is a lot of work. Still, where did the rest of the devteam go? Well, in short, their own contributions in form of roleplay material such as base rumors and other goodies, were left unnoticed. So why bother?

Another mistake we did and this is my own personal opinion on this, is that we gave the reigns of directing roleplay to official factions, waiting for the people in charge to organize events, which would have severe RP impacts and progression. No one community member would do that, considering we were so quick to shoot Gallia down into the dust. Why would, for example, I invest my time and effort for the rest of community to laugh about it?

These days, factions are more concerned about activity rather than pushing the envelope and trying something new. Hey, Outcast guys. Why not approach the Corsair factions and devise a center point between Alpha and Gamma in the form of a mining field for your IDs, which you can fight over?
Hey, Order guys. Wanna roll back into Minor and try reclaiming Toledo, if you really think that the mod progression ruined your RP with its destruction?

Nobody is going to advance how the ingame RP is in your place. Though it seems you would prefer it that way.

So my suggestion is simple. We have the PVP stuff down. Good. Now we need someone who can drive the mod progression forward, since the community are consumers, rather than creators. I suggest we go back to the old times, where the admin team worked together with people from the devteam to implement actual story-progressing events ingame. From battles to expansions and other things.

The community has proven itself to sit on their gained lours and let things unfold as they are, waiting until someone else sparks some change, which they can then bat down because, you know, change.

No. That is not how it should be. If the people are not motivated enough to keep things rolling, let the devs do it in their stead.

Heck, we cannot even keep our ModDB page updated. We just lost to Crossfire again, just because they decided it was a good idea to have a page update ahead of time and posted it the very day the voting started. It is not because their mod is better, at least in terms of multiplayer experience. It was because we were lazy.

Again.

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Mister_X - 12-15-2014

While I do agree with your post, you have to cinsider something else....
Once the Devs take over the story progression we are bound to have players complaining how they aren't allowed to have any impact on the story. It is a vicious circle really....
There were some interesting ideas tossed around in some channles about story progression but most of them ended by someone stating "The Devs wouldn't allow it."

I for one am in support of the idea of turning these house wars into a single large conflict with 2 alliances which would maybe even bring activity to Kusari, but that idea was also disregarded as "Devs wouldn't allow it."

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - sindroms - 12-15-2014

Well then, for those who will want to contribute to RP, they can do it through the devs.

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Sath - 12-15-2014

Storyline progression is one thing that I mentioned in the feedback form that we were required to fill a few weeks back. New stuff, balanced stuff and blah blah. Everything is great, but what use do they have if the storyline is as stale as it is now. I would rather see a better progressing storyline with equal importance given to almost all factions than having new stuff every update (not negating them completely though)
I don't know how it will be done, but I have one thing in mind. The respective faction leaders can join up with the dev team, work out their RP progression and move forward in terms of THEIR faction storyline. The finished work can be forwarded to the admins for them to review and implement it. The factions that don't have representatives, maybe the devs can work out something on their own with the general community input. I am not sure how much work is to be put into this, but it is something that is achievable with some effort from the official faction leaders and huge contributions from the dev team. Also, I feel that the dev team dedicated for storyline advancement is ermm, small right now?

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Omi - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 08:30 AM)Moriarty. Wrote: Also, I feel that the dev team dedicated for storyline advancement is ermm, small right now?

As far as I hear, there isn't a storyline dev team at all.

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - sindroms - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 08:48 AM)Omicega Wrote:
(12-15-2014, 08:30 AM)Moriarty. Wrote: Also, I feel that the dev team dedicated for storyline advancement is ermm, small right now?

As far as I hear, there isn't a storyline dev team at all.

Because that job was given to the playerbase.

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Garrett Jax - 12-15-2014

I agree with the concerns brought forth here. Every single issue brought up in the OP has already been addressed by the Admins and will be (hopefully) remedied in the next update. Without spilling the beans here, it should be a momentous shift from the way we currently operate

A sudden shift is always good. I just hope that the team will have enough resilience this time in order not to give into the wave of protests or whining any sort of change will cause. Especially with comments such as ''wanting to drive off the remaining playerbase or something?''

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Corile - 12-15-2014

Quote:Heck, we cannot even keep our ModDB page updated. We just lost to Crossfire again, just because they decided it was a good idea to have a page update ahead of time and posted it the very day the voting started. It is not because their mod is better, at least in terms of multiplayer experience. It was because we were lazy.

However I'd like to disagree with Spazzy, I can't because this is quite true. Crossfire gets updates and their playerbase is slowly growing now because they've got more marketing and promotion.

RE: Imbalance regarding what drives Discovery Mod these days - Omicron - 12-15-2014

The Order membership and leaders wrote entirely script for 4.85-4.86 proggression for our little corner of space and same will happen in the future. Your point is kinda moot given central Omicron plot lines are literally player driven.