Discovery Gaming Community
Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? (/showthread.php?tid=124043)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Mímir - 12-27-2014

I was encouraged to make a poll regarding this, so here goes.

There's been a lot of controversy regarding POB's. Some want them removed, some want them to be left completely alone. I think we can conclude that POB's are here to stay no matter what, so in an attempt to reach some form of mutual ground, I propose this:

Remove weapon platforms from POB's.

To elaborate a little:

- Weapon platforms are seemingly a defensive feature, but in base sieges platforms have little or no effect. They either get switched off by sieging battleships gunning them down, or snubs attract their gunfire and keep them occupied. I'll argue that in sieges, weapon platforms do zero difference.

- In effect, the weapon platforms mainly perform offensive duties: They attack and damage ships passing by with no interest in actually attacking or sieging a base.

- The weapon platforms also work 24/7, constantly posing a nuissance to players that operate in an area occupied by a POB, putting a lid on activity or the freedom of activity for others, even when base operators are not online.

- Negative talks of POB's blocking jumpholes, hotspots, mining fields and so on would fade away.

- Removing weapon platforms would give anti-POB protesters a card less on their hands, as you can legitimately tell them to just ignore the POB if it is such a nuissance.

- It's a rather costless concession by POB operators, as the removal of weapon platforms effectively won't make the POB any less safe and secure.

Feel free to participate in the poll, agree, disagree, fight, argue, scream and shout, but leave personal attacks out of it, please.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Omi - 12-27-2014

Another solution - although perhaps a little odd - would be to only let POB platforms fire at people who actually shoot the base, regardless of whether it considers them hostile by IFF or not.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Cashew - 12-27-2014

They also block holes, that's annoying.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Jack_Henderson - 12-27-2014

No, not a good idea.

Why?

A base is a big investment that can be attacked at any time, however not defended at any time. No one can be online that much and constantly take care. Turrets are there 24/7 to guard your investment of time and effort.

Turrets deny total afk-sieging and force a minimum of player-involvement, as in "do more than tape down your mouse button and check every 5 minutes whether someone bumped you and you are missing your shots".

The solution is a different one: Base Rules

> PoBs need to be out of gunfire range of NPC objects (lanes, gates, etc)
> PoBs cannot be closer than 20k from mining fields

Done.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - t0l - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 07:28 PM)Omicega Wrote: Another solution - although perhaps a little odd - would be to only let POB platforms fire at people who actually shoot the base, regardless of whether it considers them hostile by IFF or not.

this would solve a lot of JH blocking issues

do it

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - St.Denis - 12-27-2014

I have no problem with the Op's request.

But, I like Omicega's proposal more.

A compromise could be to restrict the amount of Weapon Platforms a Base may have. Maybe something along the lines of 1 per Core Level.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - WesternPeregrine - 12-27-2014

Base rules such as the ones suggested by Henderson are already in effect no?
They are some of the criteria that Admins/Devs use to hand out core blueprints, I believe.

On one hand, I would say it interesting to have a trial period with the base guns removed. On the other hand, perhaps those guns are the only things that prevent a more rampant basehunting.

Omicega suggestion of activating the guns only in the same situations as the shield activation would be a good compromise perhaps.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Garrett Jax - 12-27-2014

Provide the admins a list of those bases that are felt to be harming server gameplay due to their location near solar objects. Whether a base gets upgraded or not is contingent, in part, by how it affects gameplay in its location. In each case, we will talk it over with all effected parties and see if a better location might work, if necessary.

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Mímir - 12-27-2014

What kind of a response is that, Garrett, with all due respect?

I'd rather that mechanics replace rules where possible, that was the route Disco was going down a while back.

I like Omi's suggestion, but I left it out as I wanted to avoid the "are you going to code it hmmmm?" stuff.

I also totally see where Jack is coming from, but on the other hand if a base operator can be warned in the attack declaration thread, and then get AFK sieged without a single person online caring enough to either remove or flip the AFK sieger, should the base then really be there?

RE: Would it be a benefit to remove POB weapon platforms? - Kauket - 12-27-2014

In a way, there are a safety spot for those getting outnumbered in combat, eg like at Manhattan was a safe spot against the Rogue Scylla attacks, so that was a bonus positive