Discovery Gaming Community
The Marauder Project - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Marauder Project (/showthread.php?tid=12443)

The Marauder Project - Boss - 09-24-2008

Nobel Base Log Database Console

Enter credentials:

Phedrin.M
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Credentials Accepted. Welcome, Doctor Phedrin Maltak. Would you like to make a new entry, or review a prior entry?

Review prior entry 10.4.788

I've been transferred to Nobel Station in Texas to oversee the Marauder Project. Liberty Naval High Command wants a super-soldier, and it's my job, and the jobs of my colleagues, to fulfill that demand. I will be keeping a log of events on-station for future reference.

Entry ended

Next Entry

Log entry 11.4.788

The military doesn't like to waste any time. The other scientists and I have a briefing at two o'clock and then we hit the labs. The message from the Naval attache, Verne Thomson, was fairly short, but once we get the wish list from him, we'll be in good shape to get started. It might be a few days or even weeks before the next entry...I'm going to be very busy trying to coordinate things.

Entry ended

Next Entry

Log entry 21.4.788

Finally got back to logging. It took quite a while to settle into my new quarters and review the staff. More reviewing than settling though. The requirements for the end result came in three days ago. The brass wants some extremely heavy-duty combat machines. They want five. The specifications for the individual units will come in later, I'm told. For now, I need to get the engineers working on the interface units and scanners. I'll log more as soon as I can.

Entry ended

No further entries. One file found: Marauder Project. Open file?
>Yes

The Marauder Project - Boss - 09-26-2008

[Beginning data upload
[File name: Marauder Project
[Upload in progress

Today we failed...Again. Despite all our efforts, the biolink is proving to be incredibly unstable, and more often than not, it drives the subject insane. Will look into the neuropathic dataset tomorrow morning, maybe that will help.

That was without a doubt the worst idea possible. When we tweaked the dataset to accept overrides from the neural interlink, the computer that the Shadow was linked to somehow uploaded contaminated code to his brain. We'll have to incarcerate him until we can run a diagnostic and purge the code.

He's gone. Subject called Shadow broke out through a duct we had completely overlooked. He must have pulled the design specs on the station while the code was running. Command is pissed

Despite all of Liberty's efforts to contain him on Manhattan, Shadow managed to steal a ship and escape with the help of the Rogues. We assume he is going to the Outcasts. At least our second project, Avenger, is doing alright.

INTERIM: SEVEN MONTHS

Avenger is doing very well; we hope to complete the Marauder project soon. His scores are off the charts on the simulations testing reflex and combat analysis.

Today Avenger got caught in a data overload spiral. We have no idea just how it happened...Maybe the computer is infected...No, that's impossible. It's been sealed since it was made. Unless...

We ran a scan on the computer today. It's true. There was an infection onboard...We quarantined it and ran a more thorough analysis. Amazing, it seems to be a completely undocumented variety of advanced artificially intelligent virus. Until we can think of a better name, we're calling it the Marauder Worm.

It seems that Avenger developed a liking for the hydroponics section. He’s constantly wandering around over there, muttering to the plants. Were he not designed to be a weapon of war, I wonder if he might have become a gardener. Maybe I think too much.

Avenger went into critical today. The overload spiral must have caused a delayed overload of the interface, resulting in a possible destabilized frontal cortex nicitation. If anyone other than a scientist like myself reads this, that's a fancy way of saying it might have driven him mad. We'll check him out in the morning; the robots will warn us if anything happens.

I looked over the sleep logs. Not good. He’s not going to be stable enough to complete the program. I hate to do this. I’ve ordered the marine platoon on-station to place him in custody until we can finish the euthanasia paperwork. God, I hate this part.

It’s been two days. Two days since he blew his way out. If it wasn’t so awful I would be laughing. He’s doing his job perfectly. When he reported to the analysis room, I had a squad of marines ready to arrest him. Stealth armor, IR dampeners, the whole nine yards. They had no chance. I still can’t believe how naive I was. I honestly thought that a squad could stop him. I was wrong. So wrong. The marines are dead now, along with three of my associates. Avenger bombed the room; it’s not a pleasant sight. Phedrin laughs Nothing can stop him, nothing. He’s loose, loose on an unsuspecting sector. he laughs again May God save those poor people in his way…

The Marauder Project - Boss - 10-08-2008

Command wants us to keep trying; the tensions must be really high for them to place such a high priority on this project. A beeping noise starts, and Phedrin glances down at his pager Uh-oh, I need to run. We’re decanting the embryos at the lab in ten minutes. Five of them. We’ve assigned them designations…rather bland ones…M-01, M-02, M-03, M-04, and M-05. Will need to think of names for them. Who wants to grow up with names like those?

It’s been a few months since the last update, but those kids demand a lot of attention.

I’ve assigned the following names:
M-01 has been named Jacek Quorr
M-02 has been named Hawke Quorrom
M-03 has been named Barrett Kensing
M-04 has been named Devin Cerrak
M-05 has been named Andrew Welden

Checklist of edited DNA thingies (that’s not my field…I am a cybernetics researcher, not some gene splicer. How am I supposed to PRONOUNCE, let alone know what those GenSci down at the lab call them?):

Forget it. I’ll just say what they do.
Anyways. They all have an accelerated growth factor.

M-01 (Jacek)
- Enhanced analysis capabilities
- Heightened visual/aural retention

M-02 (Hawke)
- Expanded ‘firmware’ in the computers and security area
- Wit. (This was a mistake; we meant to improve his vision...)

M-03 (Barrett)
- Physically larger
- Again, ‘firmware’, this time relating to weapons and their use

M-04 (Devin)
- Nearly void of emotion, so he will be calm and cool at all times
- ??? (one of the lab techs stumbled while carrying an experimental serum leftover from the Celestial project)

M-05 (Andrew)
- Embedded schematics of all spacecraft used within the past twenty years
- An exponentially greater capacity for learning; we intend to have him hit the repair manuals very hard

I’ve been overloaded with work, sorry for the lapse in logs. They turn four tomorrow…I’m having trouble reconciling that with the fact they look almost ten now, physically, at least.

Today’s their birthday, and to celebrate, we let the engineering team give them each a powered down set of weapons, and in a few minutes, we’re going to let them go practice in the shooting range.

A small explosion is heard; Phedrin whirls around and ducks out of view just as a pint-sized plasma bolt flies past. He stands, arms forming a protective cage around his head, then runs to a cabinet at the far end of the room and pulls out what looks like a welding mask. He turns to the camera and grimaces, then runs off screen as he puts it on.

INTERIM: TEN YEARS

Marauder Project is drawing to a close today. We have succeeded in creating a team of pilots unmatched by any others. We've named them, but they seem to prefer their own nicknames and numbers. As such, I will refer to them as they would have wished. There are five of them. If Command wishes, we will create more, but for now it's just them.

Jace is the leader, we programmed his cybernetics with battle analysis coding that the others don't have. He is the one that will lead them into battle. He's a bit quirky though, we're not entirely sure why his personality is subject to small twitches. He is inclined to shoot things almost apart, then talk.

Hawk is the XO, but that doesn't mean he's tame. He's the most unpredictable of the lot; we don't know why his programming is prone to random edits. It may have something to do with remnants of the Marauder worm. Not enough to make him a problem, but enough to cause headaches for logistics people. Shoots first, asks questions later. One other odd thing about him is he will often speak in binary...I'm not sure why…

Bear is less inclined to combat, but he will leave a wide swath behind him when sufficiently provoked. Psychotherapists found a recessive neurotic streak- we'll need to monitor him closely. Asks questions first, but then often forgets to wait for a reply.
Vince is more of a loner. He's the one that will go out alone to deal with something; we weren't able to calibrate everything to exactly how we would have wanted, for now it will do though. Usually avoids talking period.

Arc is the repair tech. If it doesn’t work, he will fix it. If it does work…Keep him away from it. The new control system he installed was—slightly—unexpected, to say the least… At least he fixed that damned squeaky door.

Note to self…Never touch the red button. Ever.

Dr. Phedrin Maltak signing off