Discovery Gaming Community
Cloak sounds OP? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Cloak sounds OP? (/showthread.php?tid=125044)

Pages: 1 2

Cloak sounds OP? - Binski - 01-22-2015

I've still been thinking about the new 'sound' cloaks give off. So, despite OP 'balance' concerns, I struggle with how the ability to know a cloaked ship is within close range, is supposed to be justified INRP. It was never so before, but it is now. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to make something worth working for, but it was made free and available to all (unlike cloaks). Without additional technology, it just doesn't seem to make any sense why people would suddenly be able to do this.

As an OP change, with balance as its reason (I assume), it seems to have been implemented rather fast with little pre discussion and with little consideration for the 'non-infinite' cloak users. Its quite an advantage to get for free on any ship, in my opinion. With all of the unsolved glitches regarding cloaks (like CD's and mines still following a cloaked ship), am I the only one that feels this was not implemented right? I haven't seen anything from any Admins on this yet, whom it seems the ball now rests with. Has there been any indication this might get narrowed down to a specific 'scanner' so that in order to trump a cloak, you sorta have to work for it a little first?

As said, I think it is a good opportunity to add something else to work for which only adds to the in-game economy. I think real balance is making anyone be able to work for their balance options. Setting it for anyone and everyone right off the bat, seems like a rather harsh 'nerf' if there ever was one. Anyone else think these changes are a little OP with its current implementation?

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - Connor - 01-22-2015

It's not OP.

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - tommyt127 - 01-22-2015

when playing on a laptop at low volume, it sounds like a dying hard drive, so it unnerves me a little. other than that it's believable.

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - Alley - 01-22-2015

It has already been reduced at 3k by default and the admins have full control over the range, they can reduce it even further if they wish. 3k is not op, there is nothing that's preventing you from doing cloaked rp or whatever. It's meant to give someone a tiny few seconds of reaction time (especially with uncloaking engagebug heavy battleships).

But hey, I can revert my change and remove the sound if you want. It's just that instead of my proposed downside (which is, sound in range) you'll get Blodo's which was to drain the powercore while cloaked. Which one are you the most interested in, Unforgiven?

The equipable counter we have in mind for cloaks is much more devastating than a little sound and will be expensive.

As for the mines & cd bug, I know how to fix it just didn't have any time to work on it.

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - Vulkhard Muller - 01-23-2015

On the topic of Mines/CD's I can agree with Mines seeing as they track to Mass while CD's require targeting

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - t0l - 01-23-2015

Is this another "I paid for it so it should be uncounterable" threads?

Sounds like it to me.

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - Binski - 01-23-2015

(01-22-2015, 11:41 PM)Alley Wrote: It has already been reduced at 3k by default and the admins have full control over the range, they can reduce it even further if they wish. 3k is not op, there is nothing that's preventing you from doing cloaked rp or whatever. It's meant to give someone a tiny few seconds of reaction time (especially with uncloaking engagebug heavy battleships).

But hey, I can revert my change and remove the sound if you want. It's just that instead of my proposed downside (which is, sound in range) you'll get Blodo's which was to drain the powercore while cloaked. Which one are you the most interested in, Unforgiven?

The equipable counter we have in mind for cloaks is much more devastating than a little sound and will be expensive.

As for the mines & cd bug, I know how to fix it just didn't have any time to work on it.

3k is not op but that was less my point, and more so that its available to everyone without some kind of gear.

Well, I don't actually insta people with my cloak, I do use it for sneaking up close on people, like miners filling in an ore field. Honestly, a power drain while cloaked is not that crazy to me, its like that already if you cruise while cloaked, and maybe that is what should have been in place already for some time. If you can fire a CD within a few seconds of de-cloaking it doesn't effect piracy opportunities, or other forms of interceptors, and doesn't give the usual 'runner' an even greater head start. Enough people avoid me already simply from knowledge of how I roll! People remember the cloakers which leads to oorp avoidance enough as it is. If you ask if I would like to see it changed back for these reasons, I'm sure you know the answer to that by now. You have my thanks for considering it either way, and I'd love to try it out the other way at the very least. Wouldn't that also solve insta-battleshipping totally anyways? They'd need to drop cloak before entering the engagement to charge weapons.

RP'ing and making demands while cloaked has always been an option, and is in a way easier and safer on the cloaker. Now, with that sound pinging, I can drop a demand in local and if X ship doesn't respond or stop for whatever reason, go in blazing. Personally, I get very close (furthest range on a CD is 3.5), drop cloak and hit with a CD regardless of it they're moving or not. The demand to hault (or remain still) is followed by a missile warning from the CD forcing them to acknowledge, and slow down if I can hit them. After that, whether time is given to respond, well that's already governed by the rules.

And as hard as it may be to believe, even I look forward to seeing what the equipable counter for cloaks will materialize as. I appreciate your reply and shining some light on that.

(01-23-2015, 12:32 AM)Tal Wrote: Is this another "I paid for it so it should be uncounterable" threads?

Sounds like it to me.

We work for everything in this game. Now knowing about an actual piece of equipment that will be an achievable CM to a cloaked ship (tracking or forcing to decloak i'm guessing), it seems logical to me that you'd counter one worked for achievement with another and let the battles play out based on what people have achieved to bring to the field.

After hearing Blodo's option, it reminds me that I always thought it was miraculous we could have full weapons power upon decloaking. Wouldn't putting that on cloaks instead be more along the lines of the same reason why we have power drain from engaging cruise engines? Like to stop people from flying up on others unexpectedly and blasting them?

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - HuggieSunrise - 01-23-2015

Its needed. badly

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - Binski - 01-23-2015

(01-23-2015, 05:53 AM)HuggieSunrise Wrote: Its needed. badly

Which part?

I suppose my vote was a loaded question, I should have realized no one's going to vote away a free anti-cloak advantage regardless of it being OP or not. I suppose people really love their battleship 'insta' ability as well. 3k to them barely matters when you sneak up on another ship that's already engaged in battle. Most times, that sound will go unnoticed due to weapons fire and they'll still get their ambush ability.

RE: Cloak sounds OP? - t0l - 01-23-2015

But when you idle at Manhattan, you won't get jumped and instakilled by a Marduk gank squad