Discovery Gaming Community
Scanner ranges - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Scanner ranges (/showthread.php?tid=125281)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Scanner ranges - Karst - 01-27-2015

Okay so a lot of people probably haven't noticed this yet, but scanner ranges were adjusted in this patch.
And by adjusted, I mean nerfed.

What I don't understand however is why the Adv. Deep Scanner is the only one that retained its cargo scan range.
The Adv. Deep Scanner was already by far the most common, and the one many people considered the only one to use.

Personally I liked the Deep Scanner on some types of ships, but with scan range now down to 3k rather than 4k while the Adv. Deep stayed at 2k, I can't imagine I'll be using it.

The Cargo Scanner was already a tiny niche, and certainly useless now, and the Adv. Cargo Scanner was a joke before and a slightly more amusing one now.
So what's the deal? I guess the intention was to go back to having one type of scanner on all ships? Why not remove all other types entirely?

Edit: Uh, guess this isn't PVP balance. For some reason I thought this subforum was just balance in general.

RE: Scanner ranges - Lythrilux - 01-27-2015

Let's just go back to early 4.87 scanners with the normal scanners having their .86 ranges and the BS and Spyglass scanner having 20k range and 8k scan (sun)

RE: Scanner ranges - Bulldog. - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 02:06 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Let's just go back to early 4.87 scanners with the normal scanners having their .86 ranges and the BS and Spyglass scanner having 20k range and 8k scan (sun)

This

RE: Scanner ranges - Karst - 01-27-2015

The numbers, from most detection to most cargo:

Before:

17/14/11/8 detection
2/4/6/8 cargo

Now:

15/12.5/10/7.5 detection
2/3/5/7.5 cargo

(I've left the BS scanner out here, it's also changed but that won't matter for the average ship)

RE: Scanner ranges - Carlos De La Cruz - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 02:08 PM)Bulldog. Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 02:06 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Let's just go back to early 4.87 scanners with the normal scanners having their .86 ranges and the BS and Spyglass scanner having 20k range and 8k scan (sun)

This

But simply, why not make Capship scanner like 15/8? Or 15/7,5 ;-) Now it costs amazing sum of money, and is really not worth it. I'd rather buy cloak and do recon unseen..especially now.

RE: Scanner ranges - Karst - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 02:19 PM)Carlos De La Cruz Wrote:

This

But simply, why not make Capship scanner like 15/8? Or 15/7,5 ;-) Now it costs amazing sum of money, and is really not worth it. I'd rather buy cloak and do recon unseen..especially now.

BS scanner is 15/6 now.

RE: Scanner ranges - Carlos De La Cruz - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 02:24 PM)Karst Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 02:19 PM)Carlos De La Cruz Wrote:

This

BS scanner is 15/6 now.
Cool.

RE: Scanner ranges - Binski - 01-27-2015

Well, I've lost 10k off my BS scanner over the last year now, and a nerf was added. On top of that cloak times being slashed ridiculously, its now so 'balanced' newbs and long time players have barely any difference between them. Again, I think it was a huge mistake because there is now no way to gain any edge over other players now (except armor). It makes me wonder why they don't just sell ships as packages and make everyone play with the same stuff. The 'freedom' and options of this 'open ended' game keep getting nerfed and nerfed, and its just quietly changing it to a 'play our way or don't play at all' game. Not to mention that the values for all of this equipment, BS scanners and cloaks are way too overpriced now, and the BS scanner shouldn't really have a nerf, just to get +4k cargo scanning range over an advanced deep scanner. Its a cheap way to curb piracy (did i forget to mention the recent onslaught against the Pirate ID too?). I guess we're supposed to realized you're not supposed to pvp or use cloaks unless you fly a snub, and so I guess we're only supposed to only want to fly snubs! This is no longer the same game that drew my attention so strongly. Before you could actually put thought and work into your ship. Now its pretty pointless.

Never thought I'd say it but bring back 4.86, or at least very early 4.87, now that was fun. Now I feel punished for having fun, since I never broke any rules. After a few years of playing, just trading, just patrolling with a snub, is boring as hell. I form a character based on the stats the game had to offer, and it seems it just helped them find ways to curb piracy and exactly what I do. The server has lost its balls. Players have been too quick to complain about the things they don't have, and its dragged down the rest of us considerably.

RE: Scanner ranges - Doria - 01-27-2015

I never thought I would say this, but I agree with Lyth... Big Grin

RE: Scanner ranges - baivan - 01-27-2015

scaner nerf is bad idea.

reverse it.