Discovery Gaming Community
Jumpdrives - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Jumpdrives (/showthread.php?tid=127848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Jumpdrives - Alley - 03-31-2015

Battleships won't be needed anymore soon with the barge rework, which will put an end to many weird situations such as the congress jumping in corsair territory with an outcast battleship or dunkirks in the omicrons.

Battleships will be getting something special of their own now that they won't be part of jump trading anymore.

RE: Jumpdrives - Cookie Jar Cloaks - 03-31-2015

(03-31-2015, 01:20 PM)Alley Wrote: Battleships won't be needed anymore soon with the barge rework, which will put an end to many weird situations such as the congress jumping in corsair territory with an outcast battleship or dunkirks in the omicrons.

Battleships will be getting something special of their own now that they won't be part of jump trading anymore.

So dunkirks with JD3 wont be able to jump to the omicrons anymore?

RE: Jumpdrives - Lythrilux - 03-31-2015

(03-31-2015, 01:17 PM)Kosa Wrote: I do not jumptrade and I do not encourage it either. But I think the multiple jumps and the time it takes to refuel, set new coordinates, form up, jump and cruise to next target is pretty long. PLUS there is the cargo limit to ships that can jump.

I don't think it's more profiting for 5-6 men to jump (of which 1 is a Battleship, 1 transport brings the fuel and only the remaining 3-4 are useful 3,5K transports) COMPARED TO all 5-6 of them trading ores in 5k transports.

All jumpers gain is a little less risk. Trade lanes are also very safe nowadays and jumping isn't bulletproof either.

-I say this change brought nothing bad, JD MK3's are still functional and fulfill their purpose well.
-But jumping needs no more nerfing either. And it's a BAD idea to remove them. Shiny things like this and cloaks can attract new players to a game while they are expensive and hard to manufacture. And after you have it you want to use it. That generates enough activity by itself.
Jump trading and jumping battleships poisons new players into gaining a false sense of positive achievement, a false sense of good RP and a false sense of good interactions. Jumping is like the forbidden fruit.

RE: Jumpdrives - Alley - 03-31-2015

(03-31-2015, 01:29 PM)Cookie Jar Cloaks Wrote:
(03-31-2015, 01:20 PM)Alley Wrote: Battleships won't be needed anymore soon with the barge rework, which will put an end to many weird situations such as the congress jumping in corsair territory with an outcast battleship or dunkirks in the omicrons.

So dunkirks with JD3 wont be able to jump to the omicrons anymore?

they probably still can, they just have to do multiple stops along the way. What I meant is that with the barge rework which will serve as a civilian capable jumpship, we don't have to see OORP ships way outside of their ZOI because they have no alternative.

RE: Jumpdrives - bormos3 - 03-31-2015

(03-31-2015, 01:17 PM)Kosa Wrote: 1 is a Battleship, 1 transport brings the fuel and only the remaining 3-4 are useful 3,5K transports
Must be a hell of a short one way jump then

RE: Jumpdrives - Edward Teach - 03-31-2015

Still i would really like to see that all transports could jump. Jumping in 4 systems with 5r transports will be hell of a ride, but still it's good. And that barge will be some sort of jump ship is really good news.
Oh and 1 more question: Will that new "barge" still be SRP ship? Because it's only edvantage now is that it can jump, but have not much cargohold now.

RE: Jumpdrives - HuggieSunrise - 03-31-2015

Every time something like this happens you got that love it hate it divide. Kinda unavoidable cause new features cant possibly.. be fully predicted until theyve been in use for a year for better or worse.. this though.. im glad has occurred whatever the reason.. the ability to jump without measure was too convenient and im not talking about trading. Since i use the oracle battleship for rp all ive had to do was jump to the spot and jump out.

This makes the Jd's way more balanced in thier scope. And is a positive change as far as keeping the scale of the sector as something to be traveled. Tides of war did this with different classes of hyperspace engines some could jump completely past hyperspace routes (essentially jumpgate routes) but youd be in the hyperspace tunnel for 10 mins. While.. terribly authentic.. it isnt fun.

This keeps the jd's viable for fun and tactical excersize. I just hope that with the limited capabilities the ability to jump to other systems can be made esier rather then hashing old coords through hot key.

As for jump-trading.. Jump-trading in elite more fun then this. grinding credits being part of the time-sink this server has tried to wrestle into new and interesting shapes is just one of the evils of freelancer. and frankly for someone whos been in and out of this mod since ... forever I can tell you ive earned and spent too much of it to count, the only thing that wears on me is that grind. and sicne i have a new pc for work and play i find myself going to more modern alternatives.

One things for sure. The oracle sarissa is a little more fun in the fact she has to travel a little more in sublight.

as for alleys something special im guessing interdictors since shes been talking to FF.

RE: Jumpdrives - WildBill - 03-31-2015

I wish the new jump system was not implemented until the barge rework was completed. That being stated, I do see some of the merits of the new system. One of the positive aspects of jumping (as Congress) was the faction interaction we had. Jumps became coordinated events that took time, effort, and cooperation among faction members. It is a great alternative to the standard "grind". We quickly came to realize the merits of jumping for base supplies and moving large amounts of cargo to other PoB's for RP/contract purposes. This new system adds a new depth to the amount of coordination jumps will take. The only issue I foresee with the new system is refueling. With the ability to only jump within a set distance of space (I believe it was mentioned a max of 4 systems), some of the systems that will need to be utilized may be fully hostile, or at best undockable. While there is the arguement of "you'll just have to bring additional fuel ships" is a somewhat valid arguement, it does not solve the problem. Additional fuel ships would require less of the original cargo. Let's not make jumping completely obsolete or useless. Remember, not everyone shares the same play style. Some of us really enjoy the in faction interaction of coordinated jump events.

I do have a couple of suggestions that would alleviate the need for additional fuel ships, while still providing a more balanced jump system. These are merely suggestions, but please, take a moment to look them over and put serious consideration in to them. A single suggested fix, combination of, or use of all (in my opinion) would benefit the new jump system.

1. Reduce the amount of fuel required to jump.
  2. Allow larger transport ships to jump.
  3. Extend the jump system to include more than 4 systems.
  4. Add neutral "refueling" stations throughout Sirius (more freelancer bases).

RE: Jumpdrives - Swifty - 03-31-2015

(03-31-2015, 05:46 PM)WildBill Wrote:
  1. Reduce the amount of fuel required to jump.
  2. Allow larger transport ships to jump.
  3. Extend the jump system to include more than 4 systems.
  4. Add neutral "refueling" stations throughout Sirius (more freelancer bases).

Let's see -

1 - No

2 - No

3 - No

4 - and No

Why? Simple, because that would only benefit your faction and your people, what about the rest of us? We both know most Congress don't seek for interaction, just get that money. That's a big no from me, nice try though.

On the other hand, i really appreciate Garrett's work since he's trying to get rid of these useless things people love to abuse. +1 mate.

Edit: Also this little thing i can agree with.

(03-31-2015, 02:04 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Jump trading and jumping battleships poisons new players into gaining a false sense of positive achievement, a false sense of good RP and a false sense of good interactions. Jumping is like the forbidden fruit.

RE: Jumpdrives - SnakeLancerHaven - 03-31-2015

Reducs fuel consumptions, make ships with only 1800 Cargo able to jump (Frigates).

Problem solved.

InRP reason: Well, maybe everything bigger than 1800 Cargo will fall apart, cargo pods and all.