Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Feedback Thread (Archived) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+----- Forum: Faction Review and Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=135)
+------ Forum: Archived Feedback Threads (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=484)
+------ Thread: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived) (/showthread.php?tid=128086)

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Omi - 04-10-2016

Furry debate aside (or the subject matter of it, at least), all this T R A N S P A R E N C Y is really cool. I like it a lot, and I'm delighted to see the trend.

Also, the last few admin decisions have looked to be spot on as well. Flexible/targeted 1.0 enforcement, Bastilling of meme names, and so forth are all things I am over the moon to see.

As regards the whole furry thing, this isn't the first time I've seen that particular section of a community cause drama. There's a reason the term 'fursecution' ended up being coined - but it's always been my view that they bring it on themselves, so to speak.

My view is the same as it's always been - there is stuff that fits in on Disco, and there is stuff that doesn't. Having done stuff that doesn't fit in for months or years should not 'excuse' it any more than it should in the event of any other rule change.

I see no reason why furry characters cannot simply play as humans instead, and make at least a token effort to adhere to standards of canon and RP that fits inside the universe. We already have plenty of furry players here who are capable of such and more than happy to do so.

Reading aerelm's post, I couldn't help but echo many of the same sentiments. I have RPed with furry characters here in the past, but only up to the point where it inevitably (and it always seems to) becomes clear that the character is covered in fur - something I have no desire to ever acknowledge as Discovery canon. When that happens, I generally turn 180 degrees and head for the nearest dock.

In short, furries have only ever annoyed me when they have forced me to acknowledge their supposed existence - the same way all the 'stolen Valor/Lynx/Cougar' SRP attempts and such have only ever really bothered me when I'm forced to allow it to encroach on my RP environment. Furries are not created in LSF experimentation labs any more than Valors are left out in gigantic space car parks, idling quietly with their keys in the ignition.

Naturally, the owners of such characters will not be glad to have this rule in place - but at the end of the day (IMHO) whether the character happens to have fur on it or not shouldn't even come close to defining their personality etc. Nobody wept for the two or so Gallic Junker players when that ID was removed, they simply adapted and got on with it. In fact, that was a change I agreed with far less, since the GJ ID at least offered a different gameplay and RP niche in the form of privateering-style RP. Furry RP, on the other hand, offers the community as a whole nothing, and only serves to indulge the fetish of those behind the character at the expense of others' immersion and suspension of disbelief.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Corile - 04-10-2016

So now that admins have made some reasonable changes (furry ban, rule 1.0), can we get around to fixing the Cryer ID?

It would've been nice if you had consulted the changes with players that use that ID before you applied them, especially considering that it impacted the gameplay of a faction that is already past their officialdom period. And to be honest, I can't help but notice some similarities here, between the Cryer ID nerf and the furry ban, such as Haste suggesting a change in Cryer RP versus some people here saying that those who RP as furries can just change their charpics.

The difference is, while switching charpics is not something very difficult and there are people that have already found ways around that, changing the very concept behind Wisp Innovations as a faction is not something that's possible to do. Our RP focuses on researching human-enhancement drugs to give our Security Division pilots better chances against Cardamine smugglers and Outcasts. Without the ability to shoot them, the reason for research is gone.

And that doesn't even delve into the issue that there is no reason to log Cryer from the gameplay perspective. Cryer's traderoutes are some of the worst in the game and they have no right-off reason to haul ore which is the most profitable commodity in the game. This is why pretty much all of the trading we have been doing was to support our roleplay projects - because doing this for profit is a pointless task. And now with our PvP capabilities gone. I know that admins would love to live in this idyllic world where everyone wants to just RP and cyber and everything, but this is not the case here. PvP is what drives this game, what gives most people the incentive to actually get in game and execute their RP. And most RP, let's be honest, ends in shooting, as a wise man once said.

TL;DR: My most important point. I think it should be the admins' job to harmonise roleplay with gameplay. Because now, while we could simply try to adapt Wisp roleplay to the new ID, we could also let the entire thing go and just make GRN, KNF and LN characters in the Taus, Sigmas and Liberty and do whatever we were doing before - just this time without any interesting roleplay background and any development to the server lore, but with /l1 /l2.

Because at the end of the day, not everyone's main reason to stay on Discovery is to RP. Their main reason is to play the game. And RP is just this fun thing they do on the side, to give purpose to their actions in game. After all, we're playing a space combat and trading simulator, rather than cybering in an IRC channel.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Aazalot - 04-10-2016

RPing as a furry is not a fetish, yes there are massive swathes(sworths?..sp?) of the community that are very fetish based which is an unavoidable fact. However, having a Furry character isnt a fetish, its just another form of Roleplay, and alot of people have influences that a sizable amount of people here have either played, seen or been exposed to at some stage. Disney films, the Sonic universe, star fox, childhood cartoons (e.g TMNT, Biker mice). Anthros/furrys have been around in one form or another for god know show long and with the recent Zootopia film its not something that could be considered a "fetish".

My Rp orginated from Starfox as ive said, the idea a jumphole appeared in the system hes from and theres a backstory as to why he went through and why he never went home.

As i stated earlier, if this is purely because it doesnt fit freelancer canon/lore/universe then fine, but this better be something that effects all non freelancer universe characters because otherwise you are just Nit picking and singling out those who Rped furries. Why should the argument of "it brings nothing to the rp" apply to Furries but noone else outside of the freelancer universe?

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Fluffy Tails - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 11:39 AM)Genexus Wrote: Even though I am not a fan of auto-restriction of creativity. I have mixed feelings about this. Regarding the fact that nearly any other RP game has a "fixed-tree" to create your character ingame, we need to have something similar. I suggest the admin team to do a googledoc-form for setting up characters. Regarding, that nearly any RP game has a proper char creation template ingame.
FL is forced to extend to other sources, but as the forum is directly connected to ingame, I think a creating a template on google might work as well.
Races, factions and such can be predefined. If the "player" can't create his char based on this or is more exotic, he could simply use the SRP forum.

I have created a basic example of this.
http://goo.gl/forms/v0CtAeTu3O

Basically forcing such exotic stuff to SRP will prevent harassing and that.

Honestly if the community worked together more a lot more people would hop in and in thus making disco more popular than it supposedly already is and will help bring a bigger player base. With the above I agree that there should of been some kind of standard when I first joined and played 3-4 years ago and I have yet to of seen any reason as to why to want to come back besides hanging out with 2-3 friends. If the community was more clear as to whats allowed without being so over dramatic and or beating around the bush then I guarantee things would be a lot more smooth sailing from then on out. Personally I like this idea, as most if not all games have this concept to help out players with whats what and its a few simple clicks of a button and then boom make your back story and done, now get out there and do stuff.

(04-10-2016, 11:49 AM)Omicega Wrote: Furry debate aside (or the subject matter of it, at least), all this T R A N S P A R E N C Y is really cool. I like it a lot, and I'm delighted to see the trend.

Also, the last few admin decisions have looked to be spot on as well. Flexible/targeted 1.0 enforcement, Bastilling of meme names, and so forth are all things I am over the moon to see.

As regards the whole furry thing, this isn't the first time I've seen that particular section of a community cause drama. There's a reason the term 'fursecution' ended up being coined - but it's always been my view that they bring it on themselves, so to speak.

My view is the same as it's always been - there is stuff that fits in on Disco, and there is stuff that doesn't. Having done stuff that doesn't fit in for months or years should not 'excuse' it any more than it should in the event of any other rule change.

I see no reason why furry characters cannot simply play as humans instead, and make at least a token effort to adhere to standards of canon and RP that fits inside the universe. We already have plenty of furry players here who are capable of such and more than happy to do so.

Reading aerelm's post, I couldn't help but echo many of the same sentiments. I have RPed with furry characters here in the past, but only up to the point where it inevitably (and it always seems to) becomes clear that the character is covered in fur - something I have no desire to ever acknowledge as Discovery canon. When that happens, I generally turn 180 degrees and head for the nearest dock.

In short, furries have only ever annoyed me when they have forced me to acknowledge their supposed existence - the same way all the 'stolen Valor/Lynx/Cougar' SRP attempts and such have only ever really bothered me when I'm forced to allow it to encroach on my RP environment. Furries are not created in LSF experimentation labs any more than Valors are left out in gigantic space car parks, idling quietly with their keys in the ignition.

Naturally, the owners of such characters will not be glad to have this rule in place - but at the end of the day (IMHO) whether the character happens to have fur on it or not shouldn't even come close to defining their personality etc. Nobody wept for the two or so Gallic Junker players when that ID was removed, they simply adapted and got on with it. In fact, that was a change I agreed with far less, since the GJ ID at least offered a different gameplay and RP niche in the form of privateering-style RP. Furry RP, on the other hand, offers the community as a whole nothing, and only serves to indulge the fetish of those behind the character at the expense of others' immersion and suspension of disbelief.

Lol 3 to 4 years ago here not much was done, even with the whole Doj scenario and the coined and infamous "Zoner Zoner Zoner" ZA no RP all kreig and kill kill war. Admins gave up and said F it well fix it when it dies down XD Ahhhhh fun times...

As much as people would hate to agree and or disagree with you about this, I can agree. Really Furry is coined a fetish in the online world and it pretty mutch is despite what they say. I got no issues in some games where there are races like in SWTORs Cathar but Disco from what I know about is all Human, Robots/AI, alien race that was hell bent on sol being blown / Nomads... Nothing else from what I know of... I don't mind if furries are there in any game but a lot of the times most of them take it to far with RP which I can see is why the community here is tired of it. I mean a few posts ago with the whole "Whats next cartoon chars" I gotta agree with him on that. If the games RP is meant to be canon on some way then the community should abide by that the first time. Furry can only be canon or fan canon is games that have a furry race that is playable. The reason I state that is due to the nature of a furry or brony randomly popping into fallout for example - Imo=Dafuq say wut.

It seems the one thing that never changed here in the last 4 years was the community constantly bashing canon and non-canon along with nothing is ever clearly stated by people when a vast majority group together against a martyr or supposed "alien/not one of us" kinda deal. Admins shoulda fixed this crap ages ago. If I still played all I would do is try to get admin status and fix crap due to experience running and dealing with the likes and I wouldn't even needa be in-game most the time to do my job lol.

From what I see the whole furry thing was settled and yet people are constantly going against the "authority" and even some of those who agree with said "authority" are fighting em currently. Really I see no reason for such a pointless cluster fuck over this stuff since it could of been solved in a matter of a few hours with everyone coming out unscathed and our from the firing lines.

I'll just drop this here since I know how the peeps work here and since I got nothing going on besides playing Shogun 2 and Supcom here yah go some higher up or Conrad.
If anyones got a job open on a forum or tech support or whatever, I got nothing to do and need something to do lol. Bring bored and reading books and history gets old after 2 years.
I'm not going all over the forums if I don't have to to say that currently lol ^

Aazalot, I guarantee you that furry started as a fetish dude. Btw Fetish has multiple meanings and it really does apply such as the coined word "Yiff" -.- The RP part is a 50/50 as most of the time I see furries its ERP and I have meet only 1 furry that did legit RP and I don't know you but I'd say your fine as long as it doesn't go into the twilight zone.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Lythrilux - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 11:49 AM)Omicega Wrote: Nobody wept for the two or so Gallic Junker players when that ID was removed, they simply adapted and got on with it. In fact, that was a change I agreed with far less, since the GJ ID at least offered a different gameplay and RP niche in the form of privateering-style RP.

This is true. I had a 'main' character that I was putting effort and time into that was a GJ. I was planning to not only make a faction with him and some others, but I was also planning to go for an SRP. When the ID was clipped, I was really miffed and I talked to the staff about it and they wouldn't budge. I just had to deal with it, which I did.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Jansen - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 12:30 PM)Fluffy Tails Wrote: Lol 3 to 4 years ago here not much was done, even with the whole Doj scenario and the coined and infamous "Zoner Zoner Zoner" ZA no RP all kreig and kill kill war. Admins gave up and said F it well fix it when it dies down XD Ahhhhh fun times...

So far I think we ended up permabanning Doj and Jetblack and "transfered" some common sense into the whole ZA issue, which essentially ended it after a while. But its ok, Admins are lazy and dont do anything, you know much more than they ever could. (sun)

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - The Savage - 04-10-2016

After rethinking idea I can say it was just and fitting decision, and I see that. Someone pointed out "why not AI/machine then?", and I thought that idea is pretty interesting when re-thought and re-approached again. Yes, I am just silly user time to time, I give you that. I am whiny sometimes, yes. But, that is actually failure of my approach to things - act first, think later. I am terribly sorry for that.

But then, the process isunjust towards Bret, which has been roleplaying furries since 2009 (I pressume) and it makes over 6 years. I am not his defendant, but he was told that his roleplay might be non-canon, but he is still influential to the community - based on @Cannon's quote.

On a different note, please do something with @Fluffy Tails. This user is purely either purely trolling and I disapprove how his posts are written

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Lythrilux - 04-10-2016

Bret's characters have not been made non-canon by the annoucement. Simply, they're just considered to be normal humans now.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Fluffy Tails - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 01:20 PM)Jansen Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 12:30 PM)Fluffy Tails Wrote: Lol 3 to 4 years ago here not much was done, even with the whole Doj scenario and the coined and infamous "Zoner Zoner Zoner" ZA no RP all kreig and kill kill war. Admins gave up and said F it well fix it when it dies down XD Ahhhhh fun times...

So far I think we ended up permabanning Doj and Jetblack and "transfered" some common sense into the whole ZA issue, which essentially ended it after a while. But its ok, Admins are lazy and dont do anything, you know much more than they ever could. (sun)

I like your style Jansen... We should grab a drink sometime (sun) I Remember them fun days of killing ZA and the entire server for once all grouped together which was shocking as hell lol I mean the SCRA, Corsairs, Order, other zoners -.-, Nomads, and well pretty much everyone and that temp cease fire until ZA was wiped clean xD

But ye I know some of you guys tried fixing it but man oh man where many admins lazy back then. I do gotta ask even though its off topic, when did all of you lot start buckling down eh?

RE: Admin Feedback Thread - Zyliath - 04-10-2016

@Fluffy Tails Listen, dude: if you need to make a post, let it be constructive. Otherwise, just shut up.
As a side note, your above post:
(04-10-2016, 02:21 PM)Fluffy Tails Wrote: I like your style Jansen... We should grab a drink sometime [Image: emoticon-0157-sun.gif] I Remember them fun days of killing ZA and the entire server for once all grouped together which was shocking as hell lol I mean the SCRA, Corsairs, Order, other zoners -.-, Nomads, and well pretty much everyone and that temp cease fire until ZA was wiped clean xD

But ye I know some of you guys tried fixing it but man oh man where many admins lazy back then. I do gotta ask even though its off topic, when did all of you lot start buckling down eh?
is completely off-topic. And,if you are here to troll people...well, it isn't the place.
Have a nice day.
~SirDoge