Discovery Gaming Community
Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week (/showthread.php?tid=128705)

Pages: 1 2

Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Alley - 04-23-2015

We will be moving the web server content to its new home. The forums might be locked from time to time while we copy some stuff. You can continue posting, we will let you know when the final forum lock will happen.

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Narcotic - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 01:29 PM)Alley Wrote: final forum lock

[Image: avgvp1d_700b.jpg]

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Error - 04-23-2015

Hi! Would you happen to know when you'll be copying the Wiki over yet, and by extension when it'll be (un)safe to edit on it?

EDIT: I could hide the editing interface to prevent losing edits after the copying has been done if you've got an approximate time and/or if somebody could send me a PM when it's been copied.

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Alley - 04-23-2015

Don't worry, when we'll do the final move, we'll lock everything. The forums and wiki won't be moved at the same time either.

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Error - 04-23-2015

Ah, alright, got it. Many thanks for the clarification! : )

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Alley - 04-24-2015

If you are reading this post it means you are browsing our migrated forums. You can resume posting.

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Error - 04-24-2015

Hi; sorry to be back so quickly, but we seem to be missing about a day's worth of edits made while the forums/web server were moved earlier today. I'm not sure if it's being worked on or not, so I thought I'd ask for clarification and perhaps again ask if I should temporarily remove the page editing interface to prevent anything (else) from being overwritten or lost in the move process if the previous database is copied over again.

If it's easier to get the latest revisions out of the database than copying it, most of the edits were done by two-three users visiting while the forums (but not the wiki) were locked and/or down during the web server move, and if I recall correctly the pages with most edits done to them were the Outcasts page, the New Zoner Alliance page, the Solar Runners page and this talk page.

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Alley - 04-24-2015

Getting the wiki back up was extremely painful, I don't think Blodo will be willing to go through the pain it was (we're talking about a 2.7gb db) for a few edits.

Are you unable to rewrite the content?

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Shizune - 04-24-2015

Speaking as the editor of the Outcast's thing and the Runner thing, I'm more then willing to go back in and redo it, it'll be nice to type again anyways, I need to retest my HTML typing any how.

Edit: Also the ZA thing I'll leave alone for now in case and Error, I recall what you needed to say, I read the second message already but still, I'll leave the ZA page alone for now and examin it later, I have noted down what I changed so all 4 things will be easy to remake. Before people start freaking also, me and Error talked about it and what I did was fine; I merely finished their history, nothing bad. But ya, give me a few days Error and I'll redo what was changed.

RE: Forum downtime: Intermittent this week - Error - 04-24-2015

Understood; I didn't write any of them except for a talk page edit, unfortunately, so that's a no-go unless their editors have copies somewhere. I'll try contacting them and make them aware of it if I can find their usernames in a cached tab somewhere.

Thanks for the effort (particularly to Blodo) and for the quick reply; that's perfectly understandable, as I know that thing has been a pain to work with before. I just wanted to ask for clarification preemptively in case I get any questions about it later on. Luckily I don't think anything all that major was lost - at least no new pages or edits larger than a kilobyte or so were made earlier today from what I can remember from the recent changes log.

EDIT: Ninja'd. That works! Just got another editor or two to track down, then. I'll remove my first addition to your talk page, as that issue has already been clarified and resolved; my apologies for the misunderstanding.

EDIT2: Done. Thanks again! I've reverted the NZA page to your previous revision, as that was made yesterday and quite recoverable.