Discovery Gaming Community
Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? (/showthread.php?tid=128905)

Pages: 1 2 3

Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Lythrilux - 04-30-2015

Just gonna throw this question out to the community. I'm curious to see what people think.

In regards to an alignment chart like the ones you'd see in SC, I've always seen the faction as 'Lawful Evil'. Though in disco terms that might translate into Quasi-Lawful.

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Crackling - 04-30-2015

Lawful? They don't shoot any lawfuls.

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - SpaceTime - 04-30-2015

Well if the Empire Of Omicronia is a real thing, approved by storyline devs and all that, then aren't you supposed to be the authority of the region? Which means, you're the lawful entity much like the Kingdom of Gallia does in their own space despite the fact that their actions can also be considered as "lawful evil".

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - HuggieSunrise - 04-30-2015

Chaotic boring. Its going to take a lot of events and actual.. activity to bring the core to any form of.."presence". What i've seen so far is promising but you got miles to go. right now its amorphis and selfish doesn't seem to follow any particular law.

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Kauket - 04-30-2015

tbh ive always seen them as quasi, they're willing to work with anyone for their own advantage or their own greed. they wish for control as they are powermad and drowned in their own ego, enough to push people out of their way to get what they want, and to play superhero

ps icecream in hand

edit

(04-30-2015, 05:06 PM)Crackling Wrote: Lawful? They don't shoot any lawfuls.
wrong-they shoot any caps that aren't registered or "allowed" in the omicrons. so yes, they will shoot them. (zoners are excluded)

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Lythrilux - 04-30-2015

We had reason to shoot lawfuls (it's complicated right now), such as pesky lawful caps flying into our ZoI uninvited. Otherwise we'll shoot lawfuls if they have nomad materials/tech and haven't been approved to carry it.

(04-30-2015, 05:06 PM)SpaceTime Wrote: Well if the Empire Of Omicronia is a real thing, approved by storyline devs and all that, then aren't you supposed to be the authority of the region? Which means, you're the lawful entity much like the Kingdom of Gallia does in their own space despite the fact that their actions can also be considered as "lawful evil".
That's massively unfinished so don't consider it as anything relevant. But yes, as you describe that's the sort of direction I'm taking things in (or in some regards the direction things have been going in).

(04-30-2015, 05:07 PM)HuggieSunrise Wrote: Chaotic boring. Its going to take a lot of events and actual.. activity to bring the core to any form of.."presence". What i've seen so far is promising but you got miles to go. right now its amorphis and selfish doesn't seem to follow any particular law.
I have a big event planned however Golly and I are busy with IRL stuff right now so I'm going to leave that until Summer.

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - WesternPeregrine - 04-30-2015

Thinking about the subject, I believe that "lawfulness" in freelancer is related with international recognition (that is, recognized by the houses) as a geopolitical power.
Houses recognize each other as legitimate states, and the corporations that hail from those houses as part of its citizenry.

Other non-house organizations that are not hostile to the houses enjoy some autonomy from the rule of said houses, but are only tolerated in their exercise of power in areas where the House authority is not absolute, or has little interest for authority (pirates, lack of resources, lack of planets, etc.).

Considering the Outcasts and the Corsairs, they would have some of the conditions to be lawful (ascendancy related to a sleeper ship, a planet and large domains). However, their dispute about the heritage of the Hispania, and their record of unregulated hostility towards the other Houses and their representatives has prevented them form achieving a meaningful "status" as a peer of the standard houses.

Finally, in regards of the Core, they would indeed be considered akin to semi-lawful, like the trans-sirian organizations that have limited control of some territories, and are "tolerated" by the Houses for being in areas outside of the Houses main interests. Being good or evil does have some effect on how they are perceived (same as OC, Order, Hessians, etc.), nut in the end that alone is not enough to make them equals to a House.

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Crackling - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 05:10 PM)Lythrilux Wrote:
We had reason to shoot lawfuls (it's complicated right now), such as pesky lawful caps flying into our ZoI uninvited. Otherwise we'll shoot lawfuls if they have nomad materials/tech and haven't been approved to carry it.

Well, you seem to have your own territory and laws. Then, I guess, everything is fine.

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Fluffyball - 04-30-2015

Quasi-lawful.

Using slaves, murdering everyone who is technical enemy of the Core and playing with Nomad technology isn't really a thing that purely lawful faction would do (I don't take Gallia into account here).

RE: Do you see The Core as Lawful or Quasi-Lawful? - Thyrzul - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 05:15 PM)WPeregrine Wrote: Thinking about the subject, I believe that "lawfulness" in freelancer is related with international recognition (that is, recognized by the houses) as a geopolitical power.

If you believe so, how would you characterize Council and Kusari Exiles?

Nah, lawfulness is usually defined by the faction's alignment towards it's own house. Your concept may come into effect when the faction in question is not a house faction, thus could be true for Core, but not for the above two examples I brought.