Discovery Gaming Community
The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: The Gaian plight - thoughts? (/showthread.php?tid=128968)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Jazzi - 05-02-2015

[Image: fDmb2UC.png]

I wanted to bring up for discussion with you all, and ask your thoughts, on the current Gaian circumstances.

It is my opinion that at the moment, room and scope for Gaian ingame RP is limited due to the dualistic aims of not pissing off Bretonian public opinion whilst not in a position to be able to engage with Gauls. Within the scope of that conflict, they are left floating as a neutral party and as such have to resort to pirating in the Omega's, Cambridge and Manchester for player interaction. Subsequently, Gaian action in Leeds and Edinburgh, two systems core to the origins and motivations of Gaian lore, are essentially uninteract-able.

However, as I'm sure you have gathered, it is a view forged from a particular bias, and I'd rather gather all your thoughts to build a wider viewpoint on the issues, and if you do perceive issues how you would go about them.

-Jazzi D

P.S I know the image above needs trimming.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - SpaceTime - 05-02-2015

I have already contacted Jazzy D about my suggestion and he already made the proposition in the Gaian's Guard player request. I am simply posting it here in order to be discussed by the rest of the community.

The idea is that while GRN is being heavily occupied in the Leeds front with the combined Bretonian/Libertonian offensive, the jump hole connecting Lewis to Okrney is vanished and the Gaians are the first to discover it. Their leaders hold a secret meeting and discuss the possibilities which have arisen from that development. And they decide to attack their former allies simultaneously in both Edinburgh and Lewis. Their attack will be a total success since they caught the Gallics in surprise while no reinforcements could be brought from Leeds (because of the Lib/Bret assault) and from Gallia (because of the jump hole collapse).

That is a plausible way to restore the Gaian faction and fix the weird diplomatic approaches they had in several issues resulting in making the faction undesirable and bad for roleplaying them. Some other major advantages are the following:
- It provides a good RP reason why the Bretonians/Liberty achieved victory in Leeds because no Royal reinforcements ever came from Edinburgh.
- It provides a good reason to isolate Lewis and eventually remove it from the mod as part of the Great Guard System Cull which is important in order to decrease the number of useless systems and thus achieve more interactions because of the current player pool of Discovery.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - t0l - 05-02-2015

Quote:It provides a good RP reason why the Bretonians/Liberty achieved victory in Leeds because no Royal reinforcements ever came from Edinburgh.

I don't think the Libertonians are supposed to win in Leeds, but that roleplay never saw the light of day.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Thunderer - 05-02-2015

I think Leeds should be an allied victory because:

The Gauls are alone against everyone. It is easy to gank them (ingame), but hard for them to assemble an armada. They need more allies, but as they are so mighty and proud of it and vain (by stereotypical RP), they don't want to ask anyone for help. If they lose Leeds, they might wake up. They will have to, as it might solve their problem.
I propose the Outcasts. As easy as legalizing Cardamine for personal use. Yes, the Bretonians allow them the same, however they are not only allies of Liberty and the Council and enemies of the Mollys, but are also a much smaller market. It would have more sense for the Outcasts to stand on Gallia's side, than on Bretonia's. We could have huge GRN-OC vs. LN-BAF battles in Leeds.

So just ingame reasons. I doubt some Outcasts will have a noticeable impact on the storyline, but they should make ingame pews more equal, and more fun.

If not the Outcasts, it should be some faction with a decent playerbase.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Jazzi - 05-02-2015

You make good points about Leeds Thunderer; may I ask how you see them pertaining to or interacting with the Gaian faction?

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Thunderer - 05-02-2015

The Gaians will be enemies of the GRN, but they are enemies of the BAF too. Would be nice as a balancing faction, pewing those who are more numerous. Factions who can shoot at both sides are fun. Some people would perhaps rather make one Gaian ship instead of one for each side.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - WesternPeregrine - 05-02-2015

This discussion has some weird tones, since it only discusses only about who should the gaians be shooting.
What about the current player faction works? What about the isolated planet Harris, recently filled with activity from planetform players ?( I still don't know what have they been doing there in the past few weeks).

What about the cooperation with the corsairs in the south? What about the mollys? Many things that can be considered about the gaians, before reaching the dull " intervention in the Bret Gaul war " topic.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Tunicle - 05-02-2015

What happened to the Gaian/Gallic NA Pact?

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Sciamach - 05-02-2015

(05-02-2015, 04:12 PM)Thunderer Wrote: I propose the Outcasts. As easy as legalizing Cardamine for personal use. Yes, the Bretonians allow them the same, however they are not only allies of Liberty and the Council and enemies of the Mollys, but are also a much smaller market. It would have more sense for the Outcasts to stand on Gallia's side, than on Bretonia's. We could have huge GRN-OC vs. LN-BAF battles in Leeds.

So just ingame reasons. I doubt some Outcasts will have a noticeable impact on the storyline, but they should make ingame pews more equal, and more fun.

No.

Just... No
We aren't trashing tons of other faction's RPs just so you can have an easier time defining who to shoot.

This makes no sense from any angle to do.

Just, no.

RE: The Gaian plight - thoughts? - Highland Laddie - 05-02-2015

Gaians shoot be shooting all lawfuls, especially those involved in traditionally "polluting" industries and those that exploit nature/environmental responsibility for personal gain.

The "truce" wit Gallia seemed stupid from the get go, which was really only there to explain why Gallia didn't just roflstomp the Gaians out of Edinburgh, which they probably shouldn't have done anhwaysz considering the BAF had never been able to do it either. With Faroe gone and all the Gaian bases in the region relocated, that RP should be either retconned or simply changed.