Discovery Gaming Community
The Exile Lore - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: The Exile Lore (/showthread.php?tid=131068)

Pages: 1 2

The Exile Lore - Fluffyball - 06-27-2015

I don't think this has been raised before. Please note this is not a butthurt topic, because I've been wondering about it for a longer time.

Since 343 became official - and as you know, I try my best to be SiC (leaving all the diplomacy for Char) - we began the roleplay fixing that has been done by the previous incarnations of the Exiles. We completely threw away the xenophobic stance of the Exiles, justifying it with his death (so, we officially acknowlegded the event that was going on just in the in-game News Feed.

After chatting with few people, one of them became very... harsh during the chatter regarding the Exiles and some tensions between BAF and Exiles (but that's not topic of this... topic). The statement was:

Quote:"If you do not possess power in the PvP, you can't expect to be powerful in the roleplay."

Harsh as it is, it might not be fully true. Why? We are fulfilling what has been a lore for the rather long time. While the Kusari Exiles lack caps, they still possess a rather sustainable fleet of snubs that can be repaired or even built (in small numbers) without usage of the shipyard.

It is safe to assume that Kusari Exiles, in-lore, were also cooperating with The Council or Bowex in allowance to manufacture new fighters based onto blueprints possessed by the ex-KNF forces - not to mention Samura or Farmers Alliance. Why? Because Kusari Exiles were for a rather long time in the Newcastle.

Going back to the lore. We have concluded that Kusari Exiles are in fact a pretty helpful line of defence in Bretonia, when it comes to the snub coverage - I estimated that it would be around 1/6 of manpower in Bretonia (not counting Liberty Forces). Aside of that, majority of pilots within Exile ranks (not necessairly the players) are a very skilled fighters - as it was stated in original lore that Kusari possess the best pilots of all colonies (aside of The Order).

We also read out that BAF is not even twice as big as the actual KNF fleet. It is, of course, considerably bigger than the Exile fleet (KNF fleet has 10 Battleships and around 90 destroyers, I'll provide the resources as soon as Char will be back), but if the majority of Exile pilots would be removed from the Bretonia, it would surely have the inRP impact onto Bretonia Armed Forces.

I'm pointing out that, even though there was no Exile faction around, it was safe to assume that Exiles were there, in Bretonia, helping BAF in protection of their soil - all in lore, taken into account into the lore of Exiles that we are currently shaping.

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - jammi - 06-28-2015

I'm not sure why this thread even needed to be posted if it's just the result of a squabble on Skype. The PvP prowess of specific factions has never had an impact on the storyline and isn't relevant to lore or dev work.

That's the exclusive domain of the story lead, who will generally do their best to advance things with an eye to lore development that facilitates good gameplay. Storylines dictated exclusively by in-game representation are generally a bad thing in environments with limited population like this one.

Otherwise Rheinland would be occupying New York; anti-Gallic gank forces would be razing Il de France; Junkers would be the most powerful economic force the universe. You get the picture.

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - Teerin - 06-28-2015

First, I'm a tad bit confused. The topic said "asking" but there were no questions posed. Oh well ...

(06-27-2015, 09:13 PM)Fluffyball Wrote: I'm pointing out that, even though there was no Exile faction around, it was safe to assume that Exiles were there, in Bretonia, helping BAF in protection of their soil - all in lore, taken into account into the lore of Exiles that we are currently shaping.

Sure? I don't see a problem with this, however the Exiles have always had retaking control over Kusari as their main goal. Yeah, they can have initially helped out, as per the treaty that was signed. Yet with the huge influx of GRN's forces into Leeds (4.86), the Imperial Exiles would have been definitely more concerned with getting themselves out of that system mostly unscathed, once Bretonia's control over the system faltered.

(06-28-2015, 08:38 PM)jammi Wrote: I'm not sure why this thread even needed to be posted if it's just the result of a squabble on Skype. The PvP prowess of specific factions has never had an impact on the storyline and isn't relevant to lore or dev work.

That's the exclusive domain of the story lead, who will generally do their best to advance things with an eye to lore development that facilitates good gameplay. Storylines dictated exclusively by in-game representation are generally a bad thing in environments with limited population like this one.

Otherwise Rheinland would be occupying New York; anti-Gallic gank forces would be razing Il de France; Junkers would be the most powerful economic force the universe. You get the picture.

Also, Jammi is right about this

PS: There are actually three storyline devs

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - Tarator - 06-28-2015

(06-27-2015, 09:13 PM)Fluffyball Wrote:
Quote:"If you do not possess power in the PvP, you can't expect to be powerful in the roleplay."

Baloney.

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - Fluffyball - 06-28-2015

I agree that PVP skills should not have (that big) affection on lore, as Jammi stated. That is role of the roleplaying to do so.

In regard to this, we have our reasonable immersion in which it is better to lose fighter and replace it, rather than to lose the capital ship that in roleplay cannot be replaced - we aren't the guys who would reappear with same capital ship after 2 hours of it being destroyed, as it breaks immersion. That's why you don't see Kusari Destroyers, because we practically posses just three vessels (10 in total, as descibed the Exile lore) and we are unable to repair them in case of emergency (no shipyards). They rather protect Yamaguchi or Nagasaki at the time or just lurk somewhere in Roussillion, because Tau-29 is a rather hot area to keep capital ships.

The finest example of action-consequence of ship destruction in our immersion is Kobe-maru, a Bumblebee class transport, which triggered the event that will be known as Operation Woukou. Reason of that operation? Exiles do not have transports, just two freighters, to supply their forces, which is not too much to make successful strikes around the area they are covering in order to help BAF to slow down Gallia.

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - Fluffyball - 06-29-2015

There is list of questions that are aimed to the main lore writers. Some feedback from Zealot, if he's still there, would be also cool. List will be updated slowly.

a) How the Exiles are supposed to repair the Yamaguchi without shipyard? (One of the major issues.)

b) How and why the Yamaguchi was moved from Newcastle into Roussillion? (We have been informed that Devs decided to do that.)

c) What was the exact issue with the Crayter's Republic? (We were informed it was mere misunderstanding and just one vessel has been lost on both sides.)

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - SpaceTime - 06-29-2015

Toris, have you talked with Char before making this thread?

RE: The Lore (- mainly asking Durandal and Echo.) - Fluffyball - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 09:45 AM)SpaceTime Wrote: Toris, have you talked with Char before making this thread?

It's not statement about the official 343. It's just a mere player asking about the exact Exile lore that is pretty unclear and some things aren't really clear for me, as I was unable to find any info regarding the Exiles by myself so far, aside of the IKN| faction info, the Ronin| and some in-game scraps of information that were tossed into the game.

And no, Char is unavailable until Thursday, sadly. His PC got burnt and I thought it would be good idea to ask for some clarification and do little research.

(One of the posts has been edited anyway, due to some traces that could be wrongly classified as pineapple. I agree that topic went a bit somewhere else, what I've just noticed today.)

RE: The Exile Lore - Teerin - 06-30-2015

(06-29-2015, 09:33 AM)Fluffyball Wrote: There is list of questions that are aimed to the main lore writers. Some feedback from Zealot, if he's still there, would be also cool. List will be updated slowly.

a) How the Exiles are supposed to repair the Yamaguchi without shipyard? (One of the major issues.)

b) How and why the Yamaguchi was moved from Newcastle into Roussillion? (We have been informed that Devs decided to do that.)

c) What was the exact issue with the Crayter's Republic? (We were informed it was mere misunderstanding and just one vessel has been lost on both sides.)

A) Char Aznable knows the answer to this

B) How? Even without its main engines working, it can be towed. Use your imagination! Why? Better positioning, I suppose? Not that it'll be in Roussillon for very long. Where will it go? Again, Char Aznable already knows the answer to that

C) History refresher: Crayter and Imperial Kusari were at war with each other before Kogen got thrown out. They weren't invited to sign the peace treaty at Leeds, which was done between Bretonia and the new Exiles. Since then, relations between the Imperials and CR have been cautious and tense, yet cooperative in the fights against the Gallic Royal Navy

RE: The Exile Lore - Panzer - 06-30-2015

Short story:

Blame Zelot.

Longer story: No, really. the guy was and continues to be big enough, that lore is bent to fit him, or more like the big RP footprint he made. Because otherwise, there wouldn't be a Kuex, just maybe an infocard flavor entry mentioning disgruntled frontline troops with more HONORABURU BAKA DESU GAIJIN than reason.

And as far as CR is concerned - what Roj said.