Discovery Gaming Community
Give disco second life - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Give disco second life (/showthread.php?tid=131499)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Give disco second life - massdriver - 07-11-2015

what do you think about moving disco to Unity3D as separate game with completely new content but same spirit?

inb4 Im still making platform for this

RE: Give disco second life - Swallow - 07-11-2015

How much progress since last time we saw it?

RE: Give disco second life - sindroms - 07-11-2015

It would not be Disco, since we cannot use any names, models or anything else associated with a copyrighted game belonging to Micro$oft and Digital Anvil.

RE: Give disco second life - massdriver - 07-11-2015

(07-11-2015, 11:05 PM)Swallow Wrote: How much progress since last time we saw it?

everything is same mostly except that I started to refactor some source parts, adding visual asset edit (moving away from .ini style configs), simplified database for accounts, flhook style plugin system for example

also Unity became free

@sindroms
rename
PROFIT

RE: Give disco second life - Hirschel Energy R and D - 07-11-2015

Copyright is more than the name, it is also the look that can be infringed.

RE: Give disco second life - Swallow - 07-11-2015

Making it non-commercial will do it?

RE: Give disco second life - massdriver - 07-11-2015

alien gate -> different galaxy -> new chapter

y not start from scratch but with existing technology

RE: Give disco second life - Shiki - 07-11-2015

(07-11-2015, 11:20 PM)massdriver Wrote: alien gate -> different galaxy -> new chapter

y not start from scratch but with existing technology
Honestly. I'm sorry, but what about the lore? You said about New Galaxy when Sirius lore is still far from the logical end and provides opportunities for further development. I don't think that couple dozen of the systems without history will make disco better.

//added
Moving disco to the separate engine is a good idea, but it is a colossal work, I would say for years. And keep the spirit will be the hardest task. If you really will start this work for real let me know, maybe I will help, I've some coding skills.

RE: Give disco second life - massdriver - 07-12-2015

(07-11-2015, 11:58 PM)Enma Loyola Wrote: Honestly. I'm sorry, but what about the lore? You said about New Galaxy when Sirius lore is still far from the logical end and provides opportunities for further development. I don't think that couple dozen of the systems without history as well as new 'out of nowhere' ships will make disco better.

but wait, isnt that lore is made by disco members? you speak like lore comes from nowhere and everyone accepts it

RE: Give disco second life - Scumbag - 07-12-2015

Already been done, see all the mods that overhaul Freelancer. The fact that nobody is accepting is that Freelancer the game had a really good story. So good that it was chopped up and dumbed down into the final version and we still enjoy it today. I think that in order to make a better version of Discovery is to cut all the deviations from the initial lore(i'm using broad terms). SCRA? Galia? Hellfire legion? Reapers of Sirius? All these made up stories just feel like additions to the Mona Lisa made with a ballpoint pen.

But to do that you need an organized team with clear roles and responsibilities, professionals. And it's hard to have that without money.

LE: I added the first draft of the Freelancer story.