Discovery Gaming Community
Registration Agreement v2 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Registration Agreement v2 (/showthread.php?tid=131769)

Pages: 1 2

Registration Agreement v2 - Alley - 07-20-2015

As of today, the Registration Agreement has been updated to what should be its (not even?) final form.
Quote:Whilst we attempt to edit or remove any messages containing inappropriate, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, slanderous, or threatening material that could be considered invasive of a person's privacy, or which otherwise violate any kind of law, it is impossible for us to review every message posted on this discussion system. For this reason you acknowledge that all messages posted on this discussion system express the views and opinions of the original message author and not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Therefore we take no responsibility and cannot be held liable for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy and completeness of every message.

By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, sexually orientated, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy, or any other material which may violate any applicable laws. Copyrighted or derivative work posted by you does not fall under this agreement and any liability will be your own responsability. You agree content of your own intended for use by groups registered on the DiscoveryGC Community as "Official Faction" or "Unofficial Faction" of which you are a member at the time of posting will fall under a CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

Failure to comply with these rules may result in the termination of your account, account suspension, or permanent ban of access to these forums. Your IP Address is recorded with each post you make on this discussion system and is retrievable by the forum staff if need-be. You agree that we have the ability and right to perform any action on any account or message at any time should it be seen fit. You also agree that any information you enter on this discussion system is stored in a database, and that "cookies" are stored on your computer to save your login information.

Any information you provide on these forums will never be disclosed to any third party, although the staff cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised. Your information may have to be shared with national authorities in the event of an investigation. The administration will notify you if such event occurs.

By continuing with the sign up process you agree to the above rules and any others that the Administrator specifies.

As you have all accepted the following:
Quote:By continuing with the sign up process you agree to the above rules and any others that the Administrator specifies.

By continuing to use the forums, it is assumed you agree to the new terms. If you do not, you have 7 days as of this post to reply to this thread and request either:

- An account deletion with your previous content left on the forums.
- An account deletion with past content permanently erased.

-------------------------------------------------------

The previous agreement update had a flaw due to the Wiki's licensing scheme being fairly outdated. As of now, the Wiki has been updated to operate under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 License. You can find a really simple version explaining it here: https://tldrlegal.com/license/creative-commons-attribution-noncommercial-sharealike-4.0-international-(cc-by-nc-sa-4.0)

The forum Terms & Conditions have received several updates. The T&C had nothing related to posting copyrighted materials, which threatened the safety of the server as it could have been shut down with something like a DMCA. It isn't possible anymore. We have modified the terms related to third-party information sharing as it still was possible to share personal information. This as well is now impossible.

We have added the terms protecting you in the event Disco is ever tied to a legal investigation, as unless we state it in the T&C we have no legal obligation to inform you of said investigation.

Content that falls under the new CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 license has been clarified. "content of your own intended for use by groups... of which you are a member at the time of posting" means informations that will be used by the faction as a whole, such as Lore or Faction Information. Individual diaries or such things are not part of this agreement unless you specifically state it belongs to the faction.

We strongly suggest you read the new terms with the utmost attention.

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - Fluffyball - 07-20-2015

A very serious question in here.

What about the stuff that someone found on internet, such as game character or just photo of a guy from there? From reading it, I was a bit under impression we might be sanctioned for that, unless I misread it.

And how come 7 days became 72 hours?

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - Mímir - 07-20-2015

I think it's your own responsibility if you use a copyrighted image.

I'm more confused about this:

"By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate..."

Does this mean the end of the RP section?

(07-20-2015, 08:43 AM)Mímir Wrote: I'm more confused about this:

"By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate..."

This. I haven't thought it that way.

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - TheJarl - 07-20-2015

(07-20-2015, 08:43 AM)Mímir Wrote: I think it's your own responsibility if you use a copyrighted image.

I'm more confused about this:

"Posting false/inaccurate materia"l is a bit vague, but it's wording is definitely not covering RP. RP isn't false, it's fictional. No one ever claims it's real nor can we reasonably assume that anyone would every interpret it is as such.

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - Phillip.Jokar - 07-20-2015

(07-20-2015, 06:51 AM)Fluffyball Wrote: What about the stuff that someone found on internet, such as game character or just photo of a guy from there? From reading it, I was a bit under impression we might be sanctioned for that, unless I misread it.

(07-20-2015, 05:07 AM)Alley Wrote: Copyrighted or derivative work posted by you does not fall under this agreement and any liability will be your own responsability.

It's about you being held responsible if you post/claim copyrighted material and get chased legally for it, so that Discovery can't be blamed for hosting the posts containing said material.

(07-20-2015, 08:43 AM)Mímir Wrote: "By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate..."

More about posting false information about yourself or others. This is especially important for account information, and for anyone giving up content such as ship models or handing over any written content that the staff officially adopts.

Almost all the Player-Based-Story-Evolution mods and games I've been a part of have done things this way or similarly. They have to cover their bases so that they:

a. Aren't held responsible for people posting material they don't own.

b. Don't lose many hours of work over a player deciding they want to retcon pieces of established fiction that have become important to persons or groups other than the original creator.

I've only ever seen it really abused once in the past decade, and while it's always a concern most devs/mods/gms have proven it won't be an issue over time.

Edit-
Just to add on: Trust, in both directions of the Player-Staff relationship, can lead to really great work and fun as long as it's not broken.

(07-20-2015, 10:12 AM)Phillip.Jokar Wrote: b. Don't lose many hours of work over a player deciding they want to retcon pieces of established fiction that have become important to persons or groups other than the original creator.

What about situation, in which official factions tries to reshape faction and spent hours (if not days) doing that, but then devs kick in and say "nope, we have different plans concerning your faction and all things you have wanted and worked hard won't be a thing"?

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - Char Aznable - 07-20-2015

This seems a lot more reasonable than both former attempts. I don't object to it. But I would like to use this situation as a reason for a proposition.

In my opinion, things like these shouldn't be decided by the Admins alone. I do understand that Discovery is not a democracy, but instead of the Admins making a decision and effectively pissing off half the Community is neither productive nor good for either side.
Maybe next time make a poll, and after that decide?

Furthermore, 72 hours seems really short. I mean, I recall me being absent for the last 3 days, and now we're talking about days during regular work time. Please expand the time to a week, like previously.

As for the aforementioned Trust - Yes, this is important. But I, for example, was about to lose my 'trust' in the Admins when they posted their first proposal. Claiming ownership etc was a bad move, and I am most likely not the only one that did that.

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - Echo 7-7 - 07-20-2015

(07-20-2015, 01:04 PM)Fluffyball Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 10:12 AM)Phillip.Jokar Wrote: b. Don't lose many hours of work over a player deciding they want to retcon pieces of established fiction that have become important to persons or groups other than the original creator.

What about situation, in which official factions tries to reshape faction and spent hours (if not days) doing that, but then devs kick in and say "nope, we have different plans concerning your faction and all things you have wanted and worked hard won't be a thing"?

A member of staff telling a player that they disagree with the content of their work is distinctly different from one player erasing or maliciously editing content that was originally theirs (by right of authorship) but now belongs to a faction. Staff do not erase or re-write, for example, Faction Status posts without the owning faction's explicit consent (or unless a given post violates the forum or server rules).

RE: Registration Agreement v2 - Char Aznable - 07-20-2015

I need to point out here Echo that the new agreement doesn't transfer ownership of faction content, it just prevents authors from doing exactly that.