Discovery Gaming Community
BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined (/showthread.php?tid=133073)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Oldum - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 10:41 AM)Anomander Wrote: IMHO - first idea of carrier is better - maybe instead re modeling (like You do in v2) try to extend/stretch whole ship

(11-27-2015, 12:31 PM)jammi Wrote: With a bit of tweaking, that second one would actually make a pretty goddamn amazing Royal Liner.

Exactly what these two good lads are saying.
The second one doesn't look much of a carrier, or if it is, it's extremely in danger, cause a single torpedo could just rip the docking area off the engine .

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - jammi - 11-27-2015

Well, to turn the second one into a liner, I'd recommend making the 'nose' area thinner, so from a side-on view it protrudes about the same below as it does above. Then shortening that entire section and removing the forward antenna. That'd be the luxury passenger compartment.

A single docking bay could be placed in the same area as on the Dunkirk - i.e. on the flat surface located on the underside between the round reactor and the engine segment.

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - FallenKnight - 11-27-2015

The 2nd model is interesting approach but there are a lot of issues on it. Will drop a full feedback:

- the antennas are nice addition but might need a tweak to make them more interesting not just a simple linear object.
- the "head" is fine but might get some windows (like those in front) per left/right side.
- the hangars are exposed too much, that is not a huge issue but consider that all bretonian "hangars" are below the ship, on its belly, while the ships from the other Houses are different. Bret: Gb "hangar" doors are below the platform, Dessi ones are at its backward side, BS is...you know where. Point is that would look better if the hangars are protected and to follow the designs of the vanila ships - bellow the ship, at its belly. At least this is opinion, I don't mean to force it on your model.
- the connecion element between the "frontal/primary" part and the "backward" part of the ship is weak and very oddly small. (I've prepared an image below to see my hints about it)
- the bridge is nice but its small and is giving impression the whole ship is small. Considering the destroyer bridge, this one looks like a batlecruiser, modification to the desroyer model as a whole.
- the backward part of the ship needs a lot of work cuz its a rescalled dunkirk one. It might be logical move in Lore RP for a dunkirk to be used as platform for the carrier but do have in mind that dunkirk is a small ship...and if the model remains like yours the carrier wont be heavy but light one. (I did same mistake with my model, which is slightly bigger than kirk...while the current model in game is twice this length)
- the engine (same as above) would also be nice to not be single (double/triple) and not same like dunkirk's or at leas with more details (take other engines instead to use dunkirk's)

Overall you did interesting model but it looks somehow as a small ship not a carrier. Still if you combine parts from your 1st model to this one and do some tweaks, the new model will look far more sophisticated.
The image below contains part of my hints to you:
[Image: o5QOQ2g.png]

Keep experimenting Wink

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Unlucky_Soul - 11-27-2015

Thanks for all the feedback. Will try to implement all your id

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Unlucky_Soul - 11-27-2015

Added New Model. Check OP

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Thunderer - 11-27-2015

Too much shape repetition.

I'm for number 2, but its front part looks much less detailed than the back. Plus, round and square don't look well together, so I'd work on that as well. Subjective opinions, though.

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Querious - 11-27-2015

Like some other people said, one of those models should be a Battlecruiser. Otherwise, these look amazing for a carrier!

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - Mao - 11-27-2015

A big YES to number 3. The general shape is perfect. The details, like it was pointed above, need some more love. Repetition doesn't go very well.

I'd add 3 engines instead of 2. One main engine (bigger) and the other two smaller.
[Image: LzJtVfm.png]
[Image: UNgUzKg.png]

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - FallenKnight - 11-27-2015

That one is very good improvement. I really like the shape. The backward part of the ship (from engine edge to the reactors) looks nice but the primary one needs some love. This model might be potential candidate for submission in future but it does need few changes (full feedback) which will hint you asap cuz am not at home.

@Mao - what you said about "1" and "2" to be removed is not necessary. These parts are very good looking and serve a lot of things but primary one is their nice addition to the model to represent a fish design "Fins", which every bretonian cap contains in itself. Without them the model would look empty and incomplete. You are right that the two reactors should be replaced with a big one so +1 on that. I don't agree that it needs triple engines - my opinion. Most bretonian ships have two engines only and the dunkirk one, so its logical assumption the carrier to have not one but two strong engines, with dunkirk design. Three is too much (consider the RP that Bretonia is lacking resources). As for the "cylinders", perhaps you miss the point that these are actually weapon hard points - so once you put weapons there you wont even see these "crosses" (the cross is present on every bretonian ship hard point. Similar repetitive hard points could be found on the Shire and they do look nice.)

+1 so far for this 3rd model.

RE: BAF- Carrier Re-imagined - FallenKnight - 11-28-2015

I've observed your model very carefully and found a lot of things that needs tweaking. Will separate the feedback per ship parts to make it easier for you to work on the different ones. Overall the model is potential to become really awesome.

[Image: GndLlX3.png]
- Engines 1 and 2 could look better if turned in to a big engine. In order to make it distinctive you can either use the gunboat or destroyer one scaled up - for diversity sake. Too much dunkirk parts is eye spiking and giving no special flavour for the model.
- Engine platform 3 and 4 should be connected (to carry the big engine). Add 2 small Impulse engines, one per each side (left/right) next to the big one and connect their tubes to the "3+4" engine platform. In this way the ship will look more wider because its linear so far (the second image will reveal what I mean).
- Bretonian Flags 5 and 6 should be fixed. Flag 6 removed (its upside down...and its very bad to see a country flag that way) while Flag 5 to be properly centered there. You can fill the gaps with "red" armor to compensate.
- Reactors 7 and 8 should be connected to form a big one but if possible make it distinctive not to look exactly as the dunkirk one.
- This red marked texture needs revamp or use something else to make it look better. (If you are using freelancer vanila textures with their original names try this one "B-dtl4" for this area)
Aside from these above requests, all else for this part is looking well.

[Image: 9ZjjbA8.png]
- I've mentioned above the model is too much linear. This image is example of what can be done to change that. How you will do that is up to you but keeping it as it is, is not looking well. That "tube" in middle and the towers around it are just too simple.
- You can also try to make the "shell" armor wider and less taller, again up to you.
From this side the ship now looks incomplete and missing a lot of detail where also, like mentioned by few people, the used parts are re-reused too much. You can try to change that by using Destroyer "shell" for top/bot and visa versa, still its not necessary (cuz the below picture will show you something you might want to try).

[Image: ShLmYLl.png]
- Like you see from the image the ship is looking far more distinctive than the dunkirk. Just copy the bottom armor and place it at "1" top, including the hangar. In this way it will get 2 huge hangars instead of just one - representing a bigger carrier.
- I took the windows from the backward part but you see my point - more windows are giving expression the ship is massive and there are a lot of people on it.
- The weapon platforms could be extruded in to some sort of columns - bretonians are fans of Gothic design (check bar/city/equipment.cmp files) so representing that with interesting "cathedral" columns would be welcome and ...vanila like.
- The "Head" like you see is connected to the main body - unique idea of mine considering your model of course - but in this way its protected from the "shell" armor and is giving a feeling the ship is heavily armored (which in fact is true).
- Extruding the edges of the "shell" armor, like you see from the image, will further make the design unique and distinctive from dunkirk. Also that gap of space will look interesting and new from design point of view.
Overall, by doing these changes to make it look closer to what I've done on paint for you, as guidence will give the ship unique design of some sort of a mixture between fish and clam - both inspirational creatures/details of Bretonia. The ship will look massive, heavily armored, protected and with two hangars, well protected from frontal assaults.

I really start to like this model of yours and would like to assist you to make it nice enough and complete for a possible submission. I hope my guidence would be of use to you. The backward part of your new model is nearly complete but the changes I've mentioned must be dealt with - they are obvious too much. The middle part could be easily handled with my idea from the image and yet keep your own model design intact. As for the frontal part/bridge/head - I think this strange look is nice addition in the cap line, partially dunkirk and yet unique of its own.

Keep up the good work!
PS: If texturing is too much work for you - don't do it at this time. Once the model is nice enough then comes the painting. These ships are using a lot of textures and to make it look "bretonian" you need to paint it properly. But no need to discuss it at this point. Wink