Discovery Gaming Community
Nomad Speech. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Nomad Speech. (/showthread.php?tid=136528)

Pages: 1 2 3

Nomad Speech. - HuggieSunrise - 02-28-2016

For a long time the nomad speech has been an evolving artform. Something unique to discovery and the nomad faction that's brought uniqueness. However. its also one of the first things picked at as being a subject that it could be done better. Or. better off if not at all.

I've heard opinions all over the map. So.. im interested in how the current mockup believes nomad speech either helps or hurts the faction.

As I am currently indifferent I will put out the pros and cons as ive seen them.

Pro Side.

With The current recruitment meta, Morphs or indies are scored on their speech use. Its a major part of whether or not someone is ready to be a full member and if its difficult for someone to get into the groove of.. what id call "mind poetry" it can take weeks for someone to get.

This can shadow over other rp skills A morph must develop.. like the other forms of communications like the mental visions, mimicry, and most important their use of context with those forms in each situation.

Id like to think that it forces the left brain to wrinkle a little more at least in one's ability to improvise along an uncommon rubrick. Something that's not basic english that forces an alien perspective albeit strange and.. might take new players time to figure out. Be a reward in itself once someone does get the hang of it Not just for the nomad player but the others interacting with it.

Con Side.

The evil faction on the server should be scary, intimidating,
(02-28-2016, 02:54 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: they should also be mysterious. Not only scary. That is what I like about it.
and not necessarily busy their beaks with that nom talk crap. it should be kill humans.. scare humans.. and possibly subvert humans and use english and normal words/grammar to do it. I only guess this would mean a reliance on visons and action text alone. And that can be done.. ... Can be.

Nomtalk is a waste of time most people are going to engage to kill evil aliens anyway and if they do want to rp they dont want some overpowered ability like mind control or some alien thoughts penetrating our psychies OR if we dont mind that... the nomspeech completely ruins the mood for me because its sounds like jar jar binks either had a stroke or is on acid or both.

Finally ...and ive heard it from many morphs.. "I get so much cooler rp without my nomtalk why do i have to learn this crap."

Summary and explanations.
Are the explanations enough?

Being the bad guys is a job of sifting through what the factions willing to do to please that image without being pretentious. My re emergence on the scene had me permitting the guys to go out and do the maximum thier id would allow. The Community outcried that it was not fun and overly rough.

HOWEVER.. what did surprise me was i didn't hear anything united about our rp "persay" as it had been done infact the sentiment was khara was ignored because they stayed cloaked... forever didn't fight and played with..whoever they wanted to.

Our RP as it was lacking probably shocked everyone in the context of the buttcloak horror incident of christmas 2015.

It has been a few months since and this is like the big probe.. the summary to my tiny probes of different factions we don't seem to interact with or. do things with often. I have to open this up to everyone and see whats desireable because frankly.. as one of the ..few non human antagonists completely 100% assuming we know best would be a disservice.

Nomad speech for our detractors seems to be the last thing we should use to convey our rp. Images, visions, and action text seem to be the greater favorite for those people. And I have seen a lot of dynamite no nomtalk rp to support that we could indeed go without. (though this might stretch engagement notices... the rule is.. RP before it happens. ) And im sure we could shift to that if it was deemed desirable.

Detractors like morph newbies who struggle with interpreting the speech will never appreciate the art form like...the.. uh.. members (myself included) who are brainwashed and made to love it. Nosferath for example is perhaps the greatest nom speaker i've ever known... and frankly always has the greatest pointers on how to make it personal and your own when you learn from him. But that isn't important persay to the greater community.. Its our language its somewhat precious. To our minority.

It has been a vary long time. We've spoken this stuff for years through many members and generations of noms. and since it has been so long. Should we replace it? or retire it?

I think we could do with some change. I think that growing and changing is a way to make sure things do not become stagnant and that ideas should flow and rp should be interesting but not overly stale in presentation or stapled and stale. Nomspeech will probably continue to evolve and change with nuances here or there.. but unless you learn it... it might not matter to you or you may not have the eyes to notice those subtle changes.

Your thoughts and opinions please.

RE: Nomad Speech. - Ramke - 02-28-2016

Personally, I thought the "action rp" you mentioned should be used more frequently against the more hostile factions that you might meet. In fact, mostly to those that aren't really neutral/aggressive to noms in general. I'd imagine it would fit their theme more to do various actions, give various imagery, PM them how they might be affected by the nomad's actions, dig into their mind and try to change their perspectives, give them visions that they can interact in and give them choices with different consequences (Ish'tar did something similar in Delta, though this really requires a lot of creativity and thinking I imagine), mindrape them into viewing their allies, or something else around them, as something else.

I'm not really sure people would agree to it, but I'd really like people's characters to be more affected by nomad influence. Temporary or permanent, as a side-effect or not, doesn't really matter, I suppose.

All this stuff would generally be more immersive than just hearing a telepathic voice speak in your head. Wasn't the nomspeak thing supposed to be more puzzling and hard to figure out during the Keeper times anyway? I might be remembering wrong.

RE: Nomad Speech. - Lythrilux - 02-28-2016

Progressively I find myself rolling my eyes if a Nomad starts doing the nomspeak to me. It's boring, gets stale easily and is overly confusing and also ruins the aesthetic of the Nomads.

RE: Nomad Speech. - Epo - 02-28-2016

To be honest, I like how's unusual and special is the Nomad speech. However it would be nice if you add something more descriptive after the usual sentence. It would help either people that aren't fluent in Nomnom speech or aren't very fluent in English. For example:
~ ours ours ours ours - something weird and nomadic~
*you can see an nomnom noming around - something normal and descriptive like in story *
While both 'sentences' are about the same thing.
It would make you need to write a few sentences more along with normal RP, but it would make it easier to get

RE: Nomad Speech. - Lennox - 02-28-2016

This is a hard one. While I think that nomad speech is quite good in 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 encounters, it tends to be largely ignored or talked down as soon as the number of people the Nomad is facing increases. I still think Nomads can scare the shit out of anyone willing to listen and reply for a couple of minutes before either escaping or getting shot down, depending on how the speech is displayed.

I just think that it's indeed lackluster against a bigger group of people, thus a change might just be what it needs. Looking at lonely Nomads facing a group it'll be in need of something to intimidate even those or at least lift itself up above them, if talked down.

I'm all for option 2 of the poll. There are a lot of good things about current Nomad speech that, in my opinion, don't need radical changes. But also parts where it seems a bit weak. Unless there are Marduks involved, of course! I'm definitely for a more direct approach, making them fearful and ominous as they should be.

RE: Nomad Speech. - Lythrilux - 02-28-2016

Perhaps we in individual encounters, the Nomad is too weak to cohesively convey it's thoughts to the other ship - however, when in a group that power is amplified and they can talk cohesively and string together full sentences?

RE: Nomad Speech. - Lennox - 02-28-2016

I'm not sure if the connection between Nomads weakens over distance. But I can imagine one entity would be strong enough to screw with other people's minds regardless of that. They do grow up with that type of communication after all, thus are probably also able to project it onto anyone crossing their path.

RE: Nomad Speech. - nOmnomnOm - 02-28-2016

Have your members properly trained and stuff with nomspeak.
What I hated the most was when they would try to insist on powergaming certain things as well with it.

What I disagree too with the beginning of your cons statement is that they should also be mysterious. Not only scary. That is what I like about it.

RE: Nomad Speech. - HuggieSunrise - 02-28-2016

(02-28-2016, 02:54 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Have your members properly trained and stuff with nomspeak.
What I hated the most was when they would try to insist on powergaming certain things as well with it.

What I disagree too with the beginning of your cons statement is that they should also be mysterious. Not only scary. That is what I like about it.

agreed

RE: Nomad Speech. - Light - 02-28-2016

More people usually go indie nomad to shoot things without a true reason, and that's just where they
stand and want to enjoy their gameplay. They want to have cool weapons and shoot crap. So maybe, then, we let
the indie nomads be possibly a separate mindshare, and in RP make it so that the indie nomads went out to do whatever was pleased for them, like an exile, and the main faction remained in poetic, mysterious, (and ominous if you guys like that), RP that continues to add to the server as it always had.