Discovery Gaming Community
"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution (/showthread.php?tid=138468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Pavel - 04-24-2016

"stoopid pirat"
"kill me its cheaper lol"

That trader attitude is quite immersion-breaking, wouldn't you agree?
But they are right, aren't they? In most situations it indeed is cheaper for them to be killed, than to pay pirate.

What if it wasn't? What if actually paying the pirate was cheaper?...

Let's say, we equally buff sell and buy prices of commodities. Commodity A which now costs 500 credits/unit and is bought for 3500 c/unit after buffs costs 3000c/unit and is bought for 6000c/unit.

But what about ores? They're for free.. And that is problematic aswell.
For every unit of ore mined from the field, 1 or 2k credits would be taken from the miner's funds. Of course, buy prices also would be increased.

"But what about newbies they can't afford that" you'll ask, and rightfully so.
Well, the newbies would have special cheap commodities to trade. Commodities which are vital to some faction's existence. SynthPaste, for example... Two birds killed with one stone.

QQ away.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Landers - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:49 PM)Pavel Wrote: "stoopid pirat"
"kill me its cheaper lol"

Also when you kill the very same trader 6 times in a row because he's not willing to pay, then when you're occupied by lawfuls he passes by and says "lol, I don't haev to pay u after all ))))))))))))))))))))))" - and he continues his trading route np

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Thunderer - 04-24-2016

I think that time solves mining. Time is money. No need to drain cash by shooting at rocks. That would mean you'd get a bill after every fight in a mining field.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - sindroms - 04-24-2016

Pavel, that only makes the trader worth to you more as dead.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Karst - 04-24-2016

I've suggested pretty much exactly this on more than one occasion over the years, minus the ore part.

In my opinion, any commodity that's even remotely valuable, that is Cigars, Guns, anything with luxury in its name, drugs, diamonds, gold.....all that stuff should have much higher base costs - 5 000 per unit at least - and slightly higher profit rates as well.
Stuff that can stay as it is is food rations, consumer goods, fertilizers, that kind of thing, so that low risk routes are available as well - with somewhat lower profit rates.

The ore idea is interesting, but keep in mind that the "base value" of ore is measured in the time and teamwork it takes to fill a transport. I think that's fine as it is (and very few traders with a full load of ore will go "jsut kill me").

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Pavel - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:56 PM)Thunderer Wrote: That would mean you'd get a bill after every fight in a mining field.

As it should be, because mining is ridiculously profitable. High profits should involve high risk.

(04-24-2016, 02:01 PM)sindroms Wrote: Pavel, that only makes the trader worth to you more as dead.
Why?

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - HuggieSunrise - 04-24-2016

Thier choice to die still a choice. Though in this case i would familiarize myself with that particular traders habits. and hit him at the end of his route.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Operator - 04-24-2016

why they don't just

make some capital ships

and shoot stuff on missions

with nyx?

it's more profitable exciting than trading

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Danny-boy - 04-24-2016

Seems like a bad idea.

First of all, with the mining idea:
Is it even possible? How would you make a system that detects how much ore there is in a cargo hold? Would it take credits every time a rock is hit? Would it take credits from a trader who is getting filled or from the miner? What if the miner mines ore then drops it into space?

Sounds like a mission and a half to even try to code. Ofc me not being a coder, I could be completely wrong.

Then you have the issue of what faction gets their commodities nerf'd, sure people that RP Synth factions might be grateful for the huge influx of newbies to whom they must teach every aspect of the game, but what about when the newbies find out that there are routes that are more profitable? It's going to suck for those factions when everyone is leaving because every other trading faction is 100x more profitable. Or did you mean that we should keep the profit margins the same? In that case why wouldn't all the people who say 'its cheaper to die' just end up trading synth paste anyway?

This seems like a lot of effort for very little, if no gain. I'd be more tempted to file a sanction report for OORP lines in local. If they are going to sit there and die because someone ruined their power trading experience then they can at least put some RP into it and act like they are suicidal or want to try and fight their way out of the situation or whatever really. After all 'it is cheaper to die' is OORP and clearly making reference to the fact that they'd just respawn if you blow them up.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Backo - 04-24-2016

3.2 A player who was killed during a PvP fight in any form, must not enter the system where the fight took place or re-engage the attacker(s) for 2 hours from the time of their destruction, or until this/these ship(s) leave(s) the game.(There is a 5 minute window after death in which you can leave the system with an empty ship.)
3.4 Fleeing from combat and then docking at a station or planet while you are in 10k range of the ship you were fighting counts as PvP death. Freighters and transports in this case may return to the system for the sole purpose of trading.

Does that mean that if a trader gets killed in a system X, he can no longer trade through it?