Discovery Gaming Community
"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution (/showthread.php?tid=138468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Danny-boy - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 02:22 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: 3.2 A player who was killed during a PvP fight in any form, must not enter the system where the fight took place or re-engage the attacker(s) for 2 hours from the time of their destruction, or until this/these ship(s) leave(s) the game.(There is a 5 minute window after death in which you can leave the system with an empty ship.)
3.4 Fleeing from combat and then docking at a station or planet while you are in 10k range of the ship you were fighting counts as PvP death. Freighters and transports in this case may return to the system for the sole purpose of trading.

Does that mean that if a trader gets killed in a system X, he can no longer trade through it?

Yes, if a trader is shot down they cannot return to the system in which they were shot down for 2 hours.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Croft - 04-24-2016

A good idea but I'd bet actual money that pirates would simply up their demands in response, the few pirates I'd had the pleasure of meeting have usually had incredibly detailed information on every single tradable commodity knowing full well how much of a profit awaits at the end of the route. The worst of the worst will still make high demands just to get the kill or refuse to pay regardless.

I do like splitting commodities into pricing strata so long as each company could access a couple of basic and luxury items apiece.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - sindroms - 04-24-2016

This could work if you split existing comodities in a manner that rewards the initial investment.

Ores should give 20 000 per unit profit, but should not be possible to store on POBs or solo-mine. Mining bonuses being aplicable only to snubs, who would then mine for transports.

Cheap cargo to buy should be cheap cargo to sell - 1500 pu profit.
Pricey cargo to buy should have the highest sell price.

Smuggling cargo should be sellable for ore price on lawful planets only and for regular comodity price on unlawful stations.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Cælumaresh - 04-24-2016

I can hear the mining factions praise you, Sindy Big Grin

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Machelvanius - 04-24-2016

I for one, can attest that I love trading. The thought of a pirate stopping me for taxation is both revolting and invigorating at the same time. I absolutely cannot stand to pay credits for something that I am not going to profit on, but also I love RP. Here comes the soap box.

1. A trader who is in the game and says "Kill me, it's cheaper!" is not participating in quality Role Play.
You knew it was a risk to get in a trade vessel, these are targets for good reason. It makes RP sense.

2. You don't have to pay, but you have to pay the consequences, and power-gaming "This is cheaper" is just cheating those who came here for a quality experience. You should be creative and die like a Hero, not a power-gamer.
Death in the game means your life pod gets sent back to where you were last docked and a new ship is made for you. With the server rules making it impossible to keep that trade route for two hours, it discourages people to think in power-gaming terms.

3. Without the threat of a pirate, police-officer, or other authority stopping my ship to scan it, I would not have any fun as trader.
It would be completely transactional. I wouldn't be having fun, and I would likely stop doing it for some other way of making money.

4. When it comes to Ore mining, there is so much that goes into getting it to work correctly, that even if you added these extra "tariffs" and "stipulations" to the system it would be to difficult.
A miner doesn't just get a ship. They have to know the exact kind of ship, the exact kind of ID, and the exact place they want to mine. I know a lot of this is general knowledge, but it takes a bit of time to simply set up a miner class character. And then, there is the Role Play. I cannot urge the community enough to remember that Role-Play is why we are here. Transactions of Mining should have a role-play reason. Not just profit, but a real reason from in the game. The lore is there, we just need to look it up. For this reason, making it impossible to store on PoB's would take away from RP opportunities. It takes monitoring but it isn't that hard to put a "logical" RP spin on an action.

5. I love the idea of having High priced Premium Commodities and Passengers as long as they have an RP reason and a temporal existence.
For instance, the latest development of trade between Planet Manhattan and Planet New Berlin is a viable and understandable Role Play event. It won't last forever so we got to get it while the gettin's good.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Jayce - 04-24-2016

I win either way. I get his cargo and blue, or I get his cargo and he leaves.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Machelvanius - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 03:06 PM)Jayce Wrote: I win either way. I get his cargo and blue, or I get his cargo and he leaves.

That reminds of that game on the Movie Big Daddy with Adam Sandler

"I have 3 Queens and 2 Jacks" -Delivery guy
"I've got all different cards! I win!" -Little boy
"What's the name of this game? -Delivery guy
"I win!" - Little Boy

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Wolfen - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:49 PM)Pavel Wrote: "stoopid pirat"
"kill me its cheaper lol"

That trader attitude is quite immersion-breaking, wouldn't you agree?

Do what he asks for, then report player for ooRP. Problem solved.

Edit: I usually try to explain in PM that such a behaviour is not acceptable and will be frowned upon. If player doesn't change his stance, I apply the above solution.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - nOmnomnOm - 04-24-2016

If you double the prices for stuff then cargo prices would be boosted.
Free stuff and double the reward? Why not!

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Lorelii_Darksaint - 04-24-2016

I'd like to add that the Pirates should be willing to R/P as well. In the times that I've been stopped in my traders, I conservatively guess that only one out of every five encounters has more to it than "Stop, pay $X (give me cargo) or I'll destroy you, go on your way..."

If you really R/P a trader, you would look at being pirated as the cost of doing business, yeah, it can be a tough encounter (if you don't communicate well, or very fast), but it can be very entertaining as well. As long as the pirates demand is reasonable (based on character level, what they're flying , what system they are in, etc...), it can spice up an evening of quietly going from one end of Sirius to the other.

Yes, the server rules tell us that you must do a minimum of R/P before switching to a pew-pew mode of play, but I think more of an attempt needs to made by the person doing the pirating to engage the player of the trader.

Silently dying when being pirated does your character no real economic good, nor is it good R/P entertainment for either party.