Discovery Gaming Community
"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution (/showthread.php?tid=138468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Hannibal - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:49 PM)Pavel Wrote: "But what about newbies they can't afford that" you'll ask, and rightfully so.
Well, the newbies would have special cheap commodities to trade. Commodities which are vital to some faction's existence. SynthPaste, for example... Two birds killed with one stone.
its not that easy to balance and most import guide them into that one commodity that is cheaper and can't be exploited by others...freighter docking only?(that just might be the only solution)

however what about the others? pirates? bounty hunters? lawfuls? they should also have a loss when dying so that they don't do even more stupid things because there's no penalty for dying

what if instead increasing the prices you will have a penalty for death? with a few exceptions like freighters/less than 2k cargo transport ships?

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Xenon - 04-24-2016

I would say, the pirates should ask for reasonable demands, and it don't have to be credits all the time
If it's credits. then it shouldn't be high amount so traders from this kind, won't find it cheaper to be killed than paying.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Arbs - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:49 PM)Pavel Wrote: Let's say, we equally buff sell and buy prices of commodities. Commodity A which now costs 500 credits/unit and is bought for 3500 c/unit after buffs costs 3000c/unit and is bought for 6000c/unit.

That is a good solution indeed, however for trade commodities that aren't of much significance to POBs (food, water, oxygen, allowys and stuff). The only drawback to that is that newbies would need a higher starting budget, even though that can be considered as a slight disadvantage.

(04-24-2016, 01:49 PM)Pavel Wrote: But what about ores? They're for free.. And that is problematic aswell.
For every unit of ore mined from the field, 1 or 2k credits would be taken from the miner's funds. Of course, buy prices also would be increased.

Usually ore is mined and sold to a POBs, and that's where the traders buy it from. The price that traders but it for there is like 3.5k or so. I don't think this aspect is going to have issues. Also I doubt that anyone who trades in a miner would actually choose mining stuff all over again instead of paying the pirate.

(04-24-2016, 01:49 PM)Pavel Wrote: Well, the newbies would have special cheap commodities to trade. Commodities which are vital to some faction's existence. SynthPaste, for example... Two birds killed with one stone.

Well that's kinda tricky, dunno what to say about that.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Epo - 04-24-2016

+1 great idea @Pavel

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - gafwmn - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 03:06 PM)Jayce Wrote: I win either way. I get his cargo and blue, or I get his cargo and he leaves.

And the attitude here on the pirate side has nothing to do with it ? People , its a 2 way street. But , as we all know , there are as many silent traders as there are lolwut pirates.

The sad thing is that this attitude is not only displayed by new people , but it is ALSO the mindset of veteran players.
Most people will rp the encounter , but some wont for whatever reason. People seem to forget....its a RP server , not a " gotta get the blue " server .

I have encountered all the typical pirate types in my years here.......and the worst ones are the veteran players on a ego trip that just want the blue and will do whatever to MAKE the encounter go that way.

Think about your actions and what it projects to the server population. You reap what you sow.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - sindroms - 04-24-2016

The only thing that is confusing about the whole situation here is that an admin is asking what to do in such a situation.
Educating the players who are doing this would be the obvious answer.

As in - introducing new players to the notion that such a reply is oorp and wrong and reporting players for oorp if needed.

Prices are low and the reason it is cheaper to die is because it is a mechanic that is friendly to the trader. That they do not have to pay the pirate. Leaving that choice to a player I think is needed so not to increase the distaste and oorp dislike we already see between strict lawful and strict unlawful players. Not being able to avoid a loss from encountering a player - no matter what player, mind, would leave to very negative experiences.

They simply need to be taught that if they want to choose that sort of reply, have them respond with a roleplay attitude - "You can pry this off from my cold, dead hands." sort of way.

The problem shown has its roots in new players being introduced to piracy with the notion that it is somehow a completely oorp process and that it is acceptable to respond in an oorp manner. Instead of risking breaking a mechanic that has served its purpose for years, it would be better to look back at where the problem originates from.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Wolfen - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 04:05 PM)gafwmn Wrote: I have encountered all the typical pirate types in my years here.......and the worst ones are the veteran players on a ego trip that just want the blue and will do whatever to MAKE the encounter go that way.
As a contrary, I am yet to met such a player. I either live in a good timezone or have a good luck regarding encounters with pirates. As for the traders, my experience is mixed - because granted I have been approached by 2/3 of traders willing to pay million or two, I had quite opposite incidents with these 1/3 of traders, either ignoring demands and F2-ing to the closest lane/base or going "no english" or "kill me".

Blaming either side won't solve anything, as both sides have their own flaws to cope with. However, we can all agree that pirates have not only to fight with 'kill me' traders - but with tradelane bug, heavily affecting their encounters, as well.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Stoner_Steve - 04-24-2016

Pavel, read this thread: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=118555&pid=1558461#pid1558461

please for the love of god, do this, but make unlawful contraband waaay more expensive, please please please

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Stoner_Steve - 04-24-2016

Also this is an example of Profit Risk which is something I personally have wanted since forever

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - SergeantSausage - 04-24-2016

Hmm... I don't like the credits being subtracted while mining, I think that's stupid. I do think you have a valid point about traders saying "it's cheaper to kill me" but I'm not convinced that it's a problem with miners, though I admit I could be wrong. Part of the problem is pirates steering the situation toward the blue message by demanding some insane amount, too. Most of them don't do that, but some do.

Anyways, I think increasing the profit risk (changing buy/sell amounts without changing profit margin) is a great idea.