Discovery Gaming Community
"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution (/showthread.php?tid=138468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Jack_Henderson - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 04:05 PM)sindroms Wrote: Prices are low and the reason it is cheaper to die is because it is a mechanic that is friendly to the trader. That they do not have to pay the pirate. Leaving that choice to a player I think is needed so not to increase the distaste and oorp dislike we already see between strict lawful and strict unlawful players. Not being able to avoid a loss from encountering a player - no matter what player, mind, would leave to very negative experiences.

Agree fully.

Furthermore, there is also a big part of the mistake on the side of the pirating players.
When I started, there were many pirates and most demands were easy or tolerable to fulfil, and perhaps only 1 out of 10 or even 20 was really bad or worst case demands that would leave me angry or frustrated. Sometimes I was pirated 3 times per run and still made good profit.

Today, there are a lot less pirates.
But if you are caught these days, the likeliness that you meet a player who either does not care or aims at maximum damage is a lot higher. Pirate player mentality has deteriorated, which leads to more situations in which especially inexperienced players feel "abused", and not irply, but as a player. And players are only willing to endure this for a certain time, as we can see in leaving threads sometimes, or in the bad attitude of some who love to show off their malevolence or power or whatever they try to achieve.

I can tell from my own trader experience, that I have only gone "a, f... kill me" (without writing it) when the pirating side deserved it for being bad. From my pirating experience I have learnt that sadly the "kill me" happens more often than needed, but I have also learnt that when the pirate opens the conversation in a way that signals "I am not here to ruin your game" on a meta player-player level, this hardly happens.

It is basically an attitude issue. On both sides of the fence.

Jack

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Wesker - 04-24-2016

Praise pavel.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Wesker - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 04:05 PM)gafwmn Wrote: People seem to forget....its a RP server , not a " gotta get the blue " server .

Keep telling yourself that lol

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Benoit - 04-24-2016

I think the whole "cheaper to die" is actually wrong in its definition. If the trader dies, his cargo dissapears and he has to buy it back, or mine it back. in other words, he is loosing time, time he could have used to sell his cargo and earn money. Plus, it depends on where the piracy is actually occuring, if it is near the trader's destination, the trader is actually not earning the money, which means loosing it. The closer he gets to his destination, the more the cargo is worth. Of course, on the other side, it depends on the amount of money demanded by the pirate.

I think the purpose of saying this oorp sentence is just to avoid giving money to the pirate for the principle of it, not avoiding any losses, which in unavoidable for a trader.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - gafwmn - 04-25-2016

(04-24-2016, 11:08 PM)Wesker Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 04:05 PM)gafwmn Wrote: People seem to forget....its a RP server , not a " gotta get the blue " server .

Keep telling yourself that lol

Again , that mentality. THAT is part of the problem.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - sindroms - 04-25-2016

Something that was discussed in another chat:

Making these commodities pricier to buy could work if we remove cargo being dropped upon player death. For those of you who do not remember, we had a time where upon killing someone, you'd get all of their cargo. It was now reduced to a maximum of 3 000 units. This could be further decreased to 1000 units or removed altogether. That way the pirate has no initiative to actually kill the trader (because as you might understand, doubling the sell price means that traders are now worth more to a pirate dead than alive).

This might have the potential to improve player interaction, where the death of a trader is the last thing either side wants - the pirate gets no profit from it and the trader loses the now rather large upfront investment in their cargo. The keyword here is ''has the potential'' as it is rather obvious that many traders still might not pay just out of spite - basically saying that ''do what you want, you aren't getting any profit from me even if I have to take a loss.''

So in the end, the mechanics are fine. Players just need to be educated to understand how the encounter works. Both sides of the encounter.

That being said, I do not recall this being such a widespread problem a few years back. I suppose that somewhere down the line when we adopted the mentality that a roleplay server should be about roleplay and not grinding for your characters that you'd want to roleplay, we ended up bumping moneymaking to such a point where sums of credits are being thrown around like they are nothing.

Remember what a huge deal it used to be when someone bountied someone for 5 million credits? Or when someone would pay 25 million - an amount that would buy you a completely set up VHF, for a siggy on the forums?

These days we have reached the point where you do not really bother to even sell snubs on the forum anymore, because the time it takes to set up a thread and get screenshots and move ships is not worth the effort anymore. People are much more conscious of their free time and the time they invest in Discovery these days. So that should be the parameter that needs tweaking to fix this issue, probably.

However, a global reduction in credits per minute will just end up with the negative result where new players have it harder and the billions of credits in ''can i has your stuff'' money just increases and further makes trading obsolete for most vets.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Wolfen - 04-25-2016

What about Xenos then? Don't they butcher on non-Libertonians and salvage their cargo, rather than even try to negotiate with them?

Also, I agree with Spazzy here: boosting price does not really affect the vet players - it affects new players and will result in even easier money from cargo for abusive pirates and even bigger hate towards pirates made by traders. Decreasing the cargo drop would be also a good idea, but I do not really think that will solve anything. If player is in a bomber and comes for easy blue - he will not care about cargo anyway.

(04-25-2016, 07:44 AM)Wolfen Wrote: What about Xenos then? Don't they butcher on non-Libertonians and salvage their cargo, rather than even try to negotiate with them?

I suppose that is why they are a terrorist ID. And not a popular one either, by any stretch of the meaning.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Epo - 04-25-2016

Good point Spazzy, also it would make sense as cargo could get blown due to ship's explosion