Discovery Gaming Community
"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution (/showthread.php?tid=138468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Jack_Henderson - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 03:58 AM)sindroms Wrote: Something that was discussed in another chat:

Making these commodities pricier to buy could work if we remove cargo being dropped upon player death. For those of you who do not remember, we had a time where upon killing someone, you'd get all of their cargo. It was now reduced to a maximum of 3 000 units. This could be further decreased to 1000 units or removed altogether. That way the pirate has no initiative to actually kill the trader (because as you might understand, doubling the sell price means that traders are now worth more to a pirate dead than alive).

This might have the potential to improve player interaction, where the death of a trader is the last thing either side wants - the pirate gets no profit from it and the trader loses the now rather large upfront investment in their cargo. The keyword here is ''has the potential'' as it is rather obvious that many traders still might not pay just out of spite - basically saying that ''do what you want, you aren't getting any profit from me even if I have to take a loss.''

So in the end, the mechanics are fine. Players just need to be educated to understand how the encounter works. Both sides of the encounter.

This is a very good approach!
This should be submitted via request.
I am convinced that it would work for the reasons you stated.

There will of course still be the selected few that aim at making victims' lives as miserable as possible, but there is no incentive for otherwise normal players to ruin more gaming experience than necessary if both players share the same goal.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Yak - 04-25-2016

Hmm, if there is supposed to be a 3k limit on cargo drop, it either hasn't been implemented, or is bugged, can confirm that I've seen over 4k dropped by non-compliant traders.

Also, if you limit the drop too much, it just gives troll "kill me" traders complete licence to do what they do and know that the pirate will get absolutely nothing out of it. I'm aware that there are people (not necessarily new people) who are just anti-pirate in a very ooRP sense and wouldn't even hand over 100k just on principle, and they would just love that mechanic.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - wanderer95 - 04-25-2016

Quote:But what about ores? They're for free.. And that is problematic aswell.
For every unit of ore mined from the field, 1 or 2k credits would be taken from the miner's funds. Of course, buy prices also would be increased.

IRP doesn't really make sense, unless youre saying corporations are renting out the fields to miners. Where would the money go to? The corporation that controls the field?

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - sindroms - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 02:39 PM)Yak Wrote: Hmm, if there is supposed to be a 3k limit on cargo drop, it either hasn't been implemented, or is bugged, can confirm that I've seen over 4k dropped by non-compliant traders.

Also, if you limit the drop too much, it just gives troll "kill me" traders complete licence to do what they do and know that the pirate will get absolutely nothing out of it. I'm aware that there are people (not necessarily new people) who are just anti-pirate in a very ooRP sense and wouldn't even hand over 100k just on principle, and they would just love that mechanic.

Which is why I said it would work best ALONG with bumping up the buy price for the expensive cargo. You can have low-tier cargo that newbies can buy for cheap - but which would also not yield large profits but would be cheap to lose, and then you have the high-tier cargo which need an upfront investment of, say, 10 million credits for a full hold.

If that is the case, those ''out of principle'' players will wonder if declining out of principle is worth losing all that cargo - even if the pirate does not see it.

The question is how wold this bump in price effect the Xeno ID, which can kill traders without a demand.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Jack_Henderson - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 02:44 PM)sindroms Wrote: The question is how wold this bump in price effect the Xeno ID, which can kill traders without a demand.

My guess: A certain type of player would gravitate heavily towards the ID, making Liberty a less desirable place to trade to/from. So there is not that much harm done if it is not overdone badly. If that happens, IDs were nerfed to hell in the past, and with that knowledge, excesses perhaps can be avoided.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Yak - 04-25-2016

Fair point about the price bump, but I'd be very surprised if 9/10 of these "kill me" traders really care about a few mil here and there, they're probably swamped with obscene amounts of credits through relentless ooRP powertrading and would as I sort of implied before probably rather lose 20mil worth of cargo than hand over a single credit to a pirate.

I personally think some sort of regulation of piracy demands is a better way to deal with this, then it is all on the traders to act inRP, or get sanctioned. (Don't ask me what sort of regulations though, I realise some people do piracy to make money, that's fair play and shouldn't be nerfed to the point it can't be done)

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Langolier - 04-25-2016

I had a rather interesting encounter with a pirate in a Hessian cruiser the other day. I was transporting gold to Berlin when the trade lane was disrupted. Expecting a " reasonable" demand, I stopped and attemted RP with said pirate. But, instead of a reasonable demand, this dog demanded 13 million credits! A ridiculous amount to say the least. I am quite willing to fork over a few mil, but this was just plain stupid. So what did I do you may ask. I jettisoned my cargo and immediately destroyed it and engaged this "pirate". Needless to say, I was quickly destroyed, but he did not make a profit from me. All other pirates that attempt such extortion will be met with the same results.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - sasapinjic - 04-25-2016

"stoopid pirat"
"kill me its cheaper lol"

Only 2 kinds of players will say that :
1. New player , who don't know any better , in which case he should be told that and he will learn . I am not ashamed to admit that i say something similar to that when i just stated , but i have learned from that when warned ,
2.Trader who are asked really ridiculous sum , ofter worth much more than cargo , in which case it is pirate fault in a first place . I have done that to , i asked 2 M from big transport , not even scanning cargo first , and when told similar message , i scan cargo and i asked for 500 k instead when i sow that is a very cheap load , and trader payed .
Also , one one kind of pirates get that message MUCH more that others : Ones that asks for reason to kill !

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Croft - 04-25-2016

Perhaps a combination of the three suggestions? An upper limit for demands, higher costs for cargo and no cargo drops.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Epo - 04-25-2016

Could be this way as well.