Discovery Gaming Community
"Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution (/showthread.php?tid=138468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Machelvanius - 04-25-2016

Lorelii_Darksaint Wrote:Yes, the server rules tell us that you must do a minimum of R/P before switching to a pew-pew mode of play, but I think more of an attempt needs to made by the person doing the pirating to engage the player of the trader.

That is totally true. I was stopped recently by a Hessian in a Cruiser in Stuttgart. A Cruiser While this isn't against the rules, it's a totally inexperienced move. Heck, most fighters can take down an average trade ship. Granted I fly a Serenity, but it's still under-powered compared to a VHF or Bomber in the right hands. The only RP I got from him was "3 Million or you die!" Since he seemed to be a ridiculous farce that just wanted to power-game, I paid him and went about my business quietly. But his interaction was underwhelming.

Pirates can have personalities too.

I don't normally play a pirate, but when I do, I give him a complex personality. It would be nice if we could see some character development instead of ship development in Disco.

I know everyone wants to find a physical fix for this issue, and some of these ideas are good, but albeit hard to incorporate or implement with rule changes.

The simplest solution is usually the best.

Enforcing High level, High Quality Role Play on the server is the answer here. If you don't know how to Role-Play . . . you need to learn. If you want to learn . . . you need to team up with those who are good at it and learn from them. There's a million things we can implement to try to force people to follow Role Play, in the end it becomes restrictive to actual game play. The simplest solution is Education.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - misterich - 05-01-2016

I do not like the pirates that just say "X Million or you die!", eihter but normally the pirates that do not do this way get in trouble. Many trade that find a polite pirate that tells from his poor childeren or something like that are very happy, because there starts a talk that needs time. While this they look up for police/military/navy/bonty hunter/... player next to them and call for help. Often the hgouse forces are there before the trade really needs to pay. I understand that pirates try to quick, because I normally have this problem. I play RP-pirate and then the forces come to take me and I get around one trader's money. That may be funny but it is also bad for my pocket.

Another reason for this qucik "X Million or you die!" is often that pirates fear of trader passing them because they still argue with ohter traders.

At least I see not real solution for that. Traders shoul be able to call for help and so pirates musst be quick.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Corile - 05-01-2016

(04-25-2016, 04:33 PM)Machelvanius Wrote: Granted I fly a Serenity, but it's still under-powered compared to a VHF or Bomber in the right hands.
xd

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Langolier - 05-01-2016

(04-25-2016, 04:33 PM)Machelvanius Wrote:
Lorelii_Darksaint Wrote:Yes, the server rules tell us that you must do a minimum of R/P before switching to a pew-pew mode of play, but I think more of an attempt needs to made by the person doing the pirating to engage the player of the trader.

That is totally true. I was stopped recently by a Hessian in a Cruiser in Stuttgart. A Cruiser While this isn't against the rules, it's a totally inexperienced move. Heck, most fighters can take down an average trade ship. Granted I fly a Serenity, but it's still under-powered compared to a VHF or Bomber in the right hands. The only RP I got from him was "3 Million or you die!" Since he seemed to be a ridiculous farce that just wanted to power-game, I paid him and went about my business quietly. But his interaction was underwhelming.

Pirates can have personalities too.

I don't normally play a pirate, but when I do, I give him a complex personality. It would be nice if we could see some character development instead of ship development in Disco.

I know everyone wants to find a physical fix for this issue, and some of these ideas are good, but albeit hard to incorporate or implement with rule changes.

The simplest solution is usually the best.

Enforcing High level, High Quality Role Play on the server is the answer here. If you don't know how to Role-Play . . . you need to learn. If you want to learn . . . you need to team up with those who are good at it and learn from them. There's a million things we can implement to try to force people to follow Role Play, in the end it becomes restrictive to actual game play. The simplest solution is Education.

Trial by Forum - Moderation He tried to get 13 mil from me because I was hauling gold as IGM. Same thing, pay or die. So, I nonchalantly jettisoned my ore, blew it to bits and proceeded to pound on him with cerbs. Yeah, he killed me, but didn't even get a bat out of it.

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - Rhonkar - 05-01-2016

If all those years I had earned a dollar every time a pirate has just told me "Drop or die", today I would be millionaire haha

Correction, the "pirates" name is DecarTrans. Likes to hangout in Stuttgart near the Omega 7 gate.

(05-01-2016, 05:39 PM)Langolier Wrote: Correction, the "pirates" name is DecarTrans. Likes to hangout in Stuttgart near the Omega 7 gate.

My little finger tells me you should not write that Smile

(05-01-2016, 05:43 PM)Rhonkar Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 05:39 PM)Langolier Wrote: Correction, the "pirates" name is DecarTrans. Likes to hangout in Stuttgart near the Omega 7 gate.

My little finger tells me you should not write that Smile

Well, at least it was only your "little" finger. XD

RE: "Kill me it's cheaper" - a possible solution - DonSam - 05-01-2016

Hey Pavel, nice post btw, I like it.

You know, I don't trade anymore, I also don't play like before, but after reading your post I decided to make a trade run and see how pirates will react with me.

So I took gold ore to NB and it went good no pirates at all, so I went to Munich and asked a miner to haul me some Aluminium ore for my way back to Bretonia.

On Omega-7 I met two pirates so it was fun, I took a screenshot from their RP, it was not much but they did the job well (I guess the load worth 50M profit), I really like these guys and sorry if I didn't RP with them, it was fast I even didn't have time to negotiate. it's a pay or die method you know *winks*

Blur the names otherwise it's a Trial by Forum. - Moderation

Cheers.

(05-01-2016, 07:23 PM)DonSam Wrote: Hey Pavel, nice post btw, I like it.

You know, I don't trade anymore, I also don't play like before, but after reading your post I decided to make a trade run and see how pirates will react with me.

So I took gold ore to NB and it went good no pirates at all, so I went to Munich and asked a miner to haul me some Aluminium ore for my way back to Bretonia.

On Omega-7 I met two pirates so it was fun, I took a screenshot from their RP, it was not much but they did the job well (I guess the load worth 50M profit), I really like these guys and sorry if I didn't RP with them, it was fast I even didn't have time to negotiate. it's a pay or die method you know *winks*

Blur the names otherwise it's a Trial by Forum. - Moderation
Cheers.

I am sorry but this is what I call a poor rp. It is equivalent to "drop or die" (you have also those guys who ask for ridiculous amounts of money like more than 5M with a simple load of commodities). I have always paid with pleasure when there was a good rp (which implies to have at least read something on the wiki or forum about your id/iff) and a reasonable demand. Honestly, just saying gimme money I have children, it's a bit too light. In my opinion, this is the heart of the problem.