Discovery Gaming Community
Notice: Hyperspace beacons - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Notice: Hyperspace beacons (/showthread.php?tid=138703)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - TheFreelancer - 05-01-2016

This sounds interesting :>)

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - nOmnomnOm - 05-01-2016

i have a need to make a character called yugioh and be like:
I summon the legendary pharaoh card to playing field!!!

*drops down beacon and a corsair battleship jumps in*

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - Epo - 05-01-2016

If it has no jump-range limitations, my bustard wants it!

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - Stone21 - 05-01-2016

(05-01-2016, 12:43 PM)Alley Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 12:18 PM)Stone21 Wrote: This is a good idea and feature, too bad that you complicated its use way too much. If something it's this complicated to obtain or even use don't expect much use fro m the players. Too many things to take into consideration before using this technology. In short, by the description you wrote, its implementation is horrible.

There's like three steps:
- Build the item on a POB and equip it on your ship, get ammo for it.
- In a group situation, when the player with the JD is ready to jump to you, activate your beacon with /beacon
- Player jumps to you using /jumpbeacon name

So really, I fail to see what is complicated in it. The only thing that's different here is that you need teamwork, unlike escaping with a JD. Can you be more precise on what is "complicated"?

You already mentioned these 3 steps, yes it would've been enough if there were only 3 steps.
4th - You need cargo space. Why do you always take cargo space from our ships?! Isn't like we have too much space.
and yes 5th we need to count on other players. This matters because you can't get this item to work when your friends are offline.

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - Alley - 05-01-2016

This device is a cooperative device, so yes you need others to use it, but isn't that the entire purpose of it?

As for 4th I think it's normal it takes some cargo space. If you could stack every single piece of equipment available on a single ship, it wouldn't really be fun. We're here to play together in the end. We can potentially reduce the device to a volume of 100, but there should definitely be a small drawback for equiping it.

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - Stone21 - 05-01-2016

Ok Alley, thank you for your fast replies.

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - nOmnomnOm - 05-01-2016

why would someone use the beacon system and not just the standard co-ordinate system, though?
Do you not need fuel?

In that case, I could just make a few beacon ships and put it on a route I want for group trading.
Or similarly, escaping can be easier but you just need a team member to sit 4 systems away.

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - Alley - 05-01-2016

The point of beacons it to provide a teamwork alternative to the traditional coordinate system. Coordinates are imprecise and unless you have someone surveying 24/7 you will never have the coordinate you need in case of an emergency. This will land you precisely where the player with the beacon is.

Have a look at the example I provided in the first post and think about it. You'll see the intent behind this.

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - The Chosen One - 05-02-2016

this looks AWSOME now I can jump from new York to berlin now Big Grin

RE: Notice: Hyperspace beacons - sasapinjic - 05-03-2016

I wonder if i is possible to set that when someone uses beacon friendly ships had some kind of message ?
For example , RNS-Meduse uses beacon , then automatic message shows-up to all Galic allied ( alternatively, all RNS and GRN|RNS- ships ) in style : " RNS-Meduse has activate his Hyperspace Beacon , requesting assistance immediately ! " That will help with quicker reaction .